Song not found (A guide to unstreamable music)

As everyone knows, you can’t put together an “80s Canuck Classics” playlist without including at least Gino Vanelli track. But lo, when I went to search for the obvious choice (Wild Horses), I found the only version available was subpar re-recording from the 00s. The rest of Gino’s catalogue seems to be there-- but “Wild Horses” (the version you want) is unstreamable.

What are some other tracks you love that aren’t streamable on a major platform? Bonus points available for attaching the song, and explaining why it’s unavailable.

2 Likes

One more example: Ray (beautiful man voice) Lamontagne’s album “Till the Sun Turns Black” is unstreamable on spotify. Which means that in the spot where “empty” should be is empty.

The entire album Boardface by Gotye is unavailable on Spotify.

The album was licensed to Creative Vibes up until 2008 when the company closed. The Gotye line is now licensed to Samples ‘n’ Seconds Records which allows his other two albums on streaming services but I am not sure why Boardface was excluded. Perhaps it was the multiple singers associated with the album apart from Wally himself? Great album, though. Thankfully CDs were printed so it’s still out there and available.

2 Likes

When I was building my catalogue of music, I had a LOT of trouble finding Canadian music from the 70’s and 80’s. Gino Vanelli was a toughie and it took me years to get Edward Bear and Michel Pagliaro. I hadn’t heard these songs in decades and only thought of them while going through hit charts of Canadian music in the 70’s, 80’s and even 90’s. And then try to find matching album art!

I couldn’t have done it without Wikipedia, to which I donate a bit of money every year now.

Shane D

2 Likes

Tool appears to be a famous example of this. You currently cannot find any of their stuff on Spotify, yet, you can listen to Puscifer, another one of Maynard James Keenan’s projects on Spotify (Or any streaming website). From the limited research I did looking into this, it’s speculated. MJK appears to dislike having Tool on streaming websites alltogether. It appears to be an artistic choice, but I don’t know why his other works are on Spotify.

1 Like

Another one that kills me is Those Dancing Days.

Both albums were on Spotify for years but suddenly dropped off last year. It was excuse to get lossless copies, I suppose.

3 Likes

This is another fun one to sink your teeth into. I don’t prescribe to the idea that “Tool really meant it to be played in this order, man,” but the guy who did this did a damn good job with it. If you follow the SoundCloud link, there’s a WAV download for offline listening:

1 Like

Blen Blen Blen

My folks had it on a 78. Mexican. Probably late 30s. Never found it online. Maybe because it’s not that good.

Basically 90% of every song that is “Doujin”.
These are Japanese music and mostly only Japanese audience can access to it. And if you want to get a song, you will mostly have to buy a physical CD. Which means little to no chance of finding them on streaming sites unless they are really popular.
One of the clearest example I can give is 100% of Diao ye Zong discography. Of course, if you want a legit way you have to buy these songs on Melonbooks. While I cannot give you the link to Melonbooks because of the site content, they do list their work as well as method to buy it on their site. http://www.rd-sounds.com/works.html
The main composer/arranger of the circle once talk to me that he can release his work on Apple Music/Google Play Music but the idea has been putting on hold since.

1 Like

Discogs marketplace is great for hard to find stuff.

2 Likes

Not really apply to doujins. It do have some use but I haven’t find much use on it.

I’m bringing this back because I had a song stuck in my head and I thought about it for a long while and remembered what it was and cannot listen to it and it’s bothering me again.

Undone by Mad Hawkes was an EP I enjoyed. At one point, Maddi removed the EP from Spotify and re-released the song Face Punch as FACE PNCH and revamped it for whichever reason. I reached out to them and the response I got was everything would be re-worked and re-released…but I liked it the way it was! :sob:

Hopefully I will get to hear Mistress again some day. I hum it every so often, damn it.

2 Likes

This time I’m looking for a parody. I don’t know the original song. My 92 year old parents were singing after supper.

“He died, he did, he died in the noodle soup”

So it’s probably something from the late 40’s or early 50s. Bing could not match or suggest, nor YouTube, nor Apple Music

So first, can we find the parody, and second, the original song?

Well I tried some googling around to see what I can find. I was not prepared. What I found includes:

• A man drowning in his bowl of chicken noodle soup after getting a stroke while having dinner
  • A murder case where the murder weapon was a bowl of chicken noodle soup (poisoned)
  • Elvis Presley was supposedly found dead face-down in a bowl of chicken noodle soup
  • There is a book about chicken noodle soup and death
  • A J-Pop meme song about chicken noodle soup
  • A challenge involving eating a bowl of ridiculously spicy korean noodle soup
  • A dark web recording called “blank room soup” which is highly disturbing to watch

I mean, WTF?! Chicken noodle soup is some sinister stuff…

2 Likes

Thanks for trying. The tune is sort of sly, but I don’t recognize it, except I recall my folks singing the parody not only last night, but when I was a kid.

1 Like

Yeah exactly. That’s what’s kinda freaking me out about this. I kinda want to continue trying to find it. I’d love to believe that it’s all just a coincidence, but there are a few too many stories to be found about chicken noodle soup being involved in some truly sinister events involving death, torture and anguish.

1 Like

One thing to consider - it’s just noodle soup, not chicken noodle soup, which could be much darker in the pan-galactic scheme of things.

1 Like

I mean, leaving the chicken out of the noodle soup… That’s just pure evil.

1 Like