SPL Phonitor X DAC/AMP - Official Thread

$1400 - $1600 or so on the used market, if you can find them. Depending on who’s selling. Maaaaybe as low as $1300 but don’t count on it.

1 Like

That’s really unlucky. Sorry for your issues but let’s hope that you get them sorted speedily and have it up and running again as soon as possible. Good luck.

2 Likes

Really dumb question, but I can’t find the answer with a Google search or a topic search. What topology does the Phonitor X/e use? I want to say class A, but that’s entirely a guess based on nonsensical clues (it’s big and gets warm😖).

3 Likes

@TylersEclectic, would you know the answer to this? I checked Ian’s review and didn’t see the info either.

Thanks.

2 Likes

The 120-Volt-Voltair-Technology is quite unique,
from what I know. So not sure in which known categories it fits @Andrew_Davis

What I know it runs on unicorn pee and is made out of magical stardust- the kind of He-Man’s sword is covered.

6 Likes

I knew about the unicorn fluids and He-Man’s anabolic steroid dust. Everybody knows that.

I didn’t realize that the Voltaire technology actually is amplifier design. I thought it only pertained to the power supply. That explains why I couldn’t find a Class “X” in any description of the SPL amps. The more I learn the less I realize I know. Thank you!!

4 Likes

it maybe can be stuffed in a category from a build philosophy side

Here the same. So thank you for the question…

3 Likes

Correction.

Voltair 120v is SPL’s amp technology.

Voltaire is an Enlightenment French writer who’s smart mouth and sharp wit got him chased out of Great Britain and twice exiled from France.

Both are amazing to listen to, but for different reasons.

4 Likes

It turns out the Phonitor I own (that doesn’t work) used to be owned by Luckbad. I can’t get ahold of him. Can anyone here text or call or email him and ask him to check in with me via PM over the date he bought this so I can obtain a receipt for the purchase date for Focal Naim repair service? Thanks.

1 Like

Do you turn your Phonitor OFF when not in use or do you let it sit warmed up when not in use? I am wondering if I overheated something on my board by not turning it off.

At night, I only shut my unit off only via the power switch on the front of the unit, note there is also a master power switch on the back of the unit next to IEC cable.

But I also do what Torq told me when changing to different headphones you need to mute the amp.

3 Likes

Never had a problem with forgetting to mute the amp. :slight_smile: was ANAL about that.

1 Like

Looks like my amp is still under warranty! (2 year transferable) Just need to send it to their repair facility.

11 Likes

Ooh. That’s a great stroke of luck!!!

2 Likes

That is Fantastic, I am glad SPL is taking care of you.

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

Should be good as new.

3 Likes

That is really cool- I am happy for you!

3 Likes

I just want to confirm because I remember when the Phonitor first came out, many of the HF members shunned it because it did not have balanced out. All models after the original model have balanced out for headphone use?

And since most of our external dacs will likely be better than the ones offered in their Phonitor models, I am fine with the 2 as long as it gets me close to what the X and XE models can do on the amp side. And do any/all models function as a preamp?

Does this all make sense?

Thanks

The Phonitor 2 only has single-ended headphone output (though no less power). The Phonitor E, X and XE all have balanced headphone output.

The Phonitor 2 and X also have proper pre-amp functionality. The E and XE do not.

7 Likes

As the power levels between SE and balanced are the same in all balanced models, do you notice any difference in the other aspects of the sound such as stage, image, weight, or anything else really? If not, I guess there is no point being all hung up on the lack of availability of balanced in the 2?

Silly question but which one was the original model and what is the ‘ranking’ order between the models? Is the original one of these models mentioned above or is that still another model? I thought their very first model was the only one that did not have a balanced out, which would make that the 2, unless I understand that incorrectly. Sorry for all these basic questions.

1 Like