The Anime Thread

Yeah, I’m on chapter 8??

I subbed to Shonen jump. Very cheap ($3/month) for what it gives you and lots of selection especially for some anime I may want to read the manga for.

1 Like

Reading Kaiju No 8.

Easy read with good art. Being very formulaic, at least so far, is its only negative, still rather fun.

One Punch Man is still awesome, the second last chapter (maybe 151 if I remember) gave me a true WTF moment that I hadn’t had in a while.

2 Likes

Although maybe not an anime per se, Arcane, on Netflix has so far been a very solid show. I didnt know what to make of it as its based on a video game I have never played (not sure if its cannon for the game or just loosely based on the game concept) and tried it one night as a what the hell watch and was impressed.

Its a very pleasant surprise. Good VA, great art style, seem to have some thought behind the story. Its something I am looking forward to continuing.

2 Likes

Heard good things about it too. It’s up close on my watchlist. That and mountain of the gods that was the inspiration for made in abyss.

1 Like

Mountain of the Gods, not familiar, will look into it.

1 Like

Glad to see more funimation titles now moving over to crunchy…

Also, some extra eps of attack on titan are out now. They’re pretty much side stories. I haven’t watched but read the manga and it was pretty good last I remember. You might be interested before the final season kicks in @frkasper.

And S2 of oddtaxi might happen @perogie. It was announced on their twitter page that they have a surprise of some sort. Would be cool to see a 2nd season though I don’t think it is necessary.

Finally, Merry Christmas to those who celebrate!

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up. I’ll probably watch it all over again (since S1) before going for S4P2.

In the meantime I’ve been catching up with Boruto. Many months worth of episodes (+/- 40) and there are not many left after 2 weeks since resuming my subscription :weary:. Have been consuming them so fast, especially now there’s a lot going on at this part of the story. :star_struck:

Let me take this opportunity to highlight the top 3 animes watched in 2021 – all suggestions from (the anime nerdy of) this thread. You know who you are. :joy:

Rating as order of preference:

1. Jujutsu Kaisen;
  2. Dororo;
  3. Tower of God.

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Merry Xmas folks. :santa:

Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

@perogie surprise turned out to be a movie not a 2nd season!

1 Like

So its a reverse demon slayer - making the episodes into a movie? There is one aspect to the story that wasnt resolved in the end so I wonder if they’ll address that?

Demon Slayer was something that completely left my mind when I saw they were rehashing the movie via episodes. I have no idea if they’ve moved on to fresh material yet.

Aggretsuko - on Netflix. Meaning to try this out as I had heard good things and it is great. Over the top office politics with charm and humour. Nice interplay between characters and isn’t cartoonish as I thought it might be given the art style, like Ranking of Kings - dont judge based on the ink.

1 Like

Likely. I was just fine with the cliffhanger personally.

Oh, the new season is out already. There should be 2 or 3 eps already out. Haven’t watched yet.

1 Like

I was cool with where they left it as well. Thought it may be an opening for future development but it could have stood by itself.

Yes, I checked earlier, I think 4 episodes in.

1 Like

3 eps into Arcane…damn, we need more of these netflix! Great stuff. Like, really good.

3 Likes

I think I got 2 more to go. The first episodes are very very strong.

I might finish it tonight.

Reading Juju K. The anime seems to stick pretty close to the manga, but the manga has a bit more subtlety to it. I actually rewatched some of the anime and remembered how much I enjoyed it. I think I may have under appreciated it.

Is the movie going to be about the first few chapters of the manga? Im staying away from any trailers or spoilers. Which reminds me I should look in to what might be upcoming for next anime season.

1 Like

If you keep reading it will start losing its touch after THAT happens. Kind of disappointed tbh. Same with my favorite shounen which just ended by the way (Solo Leveling).

It’s a separate manga from the main one. It’s like a side story basically, but provides some details of one of the main antagonists and side character.

I’m so glad I discovered that website earlier this year…so handy!

Dammit. Forgot about that site, how could I forget about it!!! Quick browse and maybe a couple jumped out, will have to look more closely later.

OK, I’ll keep reading it and see how it goes. Not sure what THAT is but wont guess so as not to potentially put out spoilers.

1 Like

The Summit of the Gods…magnefique! :mountain_snow:

Simple plot, yet exceptional execution about a man trying to get to the top of Everest with a photojournalist as witness. It has elements of thriller, drama, adventure, and mystery. I just finished arcane which, btw, was excellent as well (I hope its success won’t end up being its downfall) so it was hard looking forward to watching anything after. But Summit was just as good imo. It actually served as a nice compliment to arcane even though they’re completely different. And since this was an inspiration for made in abyss, it was interesting seeing the parallels between them. The character animation might require some getting used to (especially coming from arcane) but it’s still stellar. Also, Summit is natively French but based on jap manga, just fyi. I suggest watching Summit with headphones to get the full experience (great sound design and soundtrack).

3 Likes

this looks hilarious and super fun

1 Like

Arcane really blew me away, I was not expecting it - I redownloaded league becasue of it, much to my regret xP

1 Like

I just hope the 2nd season will carry on its quality and won’t end up like stranger things, for example. Though it’s probably inevitable…

But this is honestly what adult animation should aim for. Arcane set the standard on this one imo.

1 Like