The Anime Thread

I agree with everyone’s take on Arcane. Easily a favorite of mine. I am also hoping the second season doesn’t trip on their own foot like so many other shows. Hoping they take their time to write a good season rather than forcing one out quickly to keep the hype up. Hell I’d wait a few years just to have a solid story.

1 Like

Too late. The next season is coming out this year though I don’t know how long they’ve been working on it. I know the 1st one has been worked on for about 6yrs if I remember correctly.

I’m sure they then had the second season plot out to a huge degree. Fingers crossed.

1 Like

Arcane I haven’t finished yet as I thought the quality dipped about midway and I became disappointed. Will finish it and if it at least stays close to what it could have been I will likely watch S2.

I think I understand why it went the way it did but it took away from the established primary story line.

I actually came across that somewhere, need to find it again.

Been binging the manga and I think I know to what you are referring to now, or maybe I find my own THAT. It made me stop reading. Its a lazy plot device IMO. It was really really good up until THAT point.

1 Like

I can agree with that though I wouldn’t go so far to say I was disappointed, personally.

I think you’ll really enjoy it especially being a made in abyss fan. It’s about 90 minutes long so not really a major time commitment, though it would be best watching it in one sitting.

Oooh! Which THAT? For me, it was (spoilers ahead): pretty much when they killed off kugasaki and then started killing everybody else after that. Pretty sloppy if you ask me.

1 Like

Its just that it simply killed it with the first episodes, top level content, so when it veered off the main intro story I felt some shine was removed and it really bothered me. Maybe I was just too happy to find something so unexpectedly good. I know they had to do it to expand the universe and story line but it just feels like its pegged on and rushed, as if they had different writers for certain parts of the story.

It wasn’t that part although that was completely engineered and was outside of the arc they had going. Things were all over the place after that as if the writer just said screw it lets see what I can conjure up here. There was some coherence to the story and it brought together a number of various threads but it was basically information overload. At times I also felt the art was hard to follow, couldnt tell what was actually occurring during some sequences.

The THAT for me occurs a few chapters later (spoiler) when they mention this Culling Game idea. I haven’t read past the first mention of that yet. They did drop a possibility that Kugasaki could be revived but I don’t know if that addressed or not Anyways when my THAT happened I literally groaned to myself.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I can agree with your THAT. I was just lost the whole time they started the next arc. Such a shame, really. Oh well, moving on…

1 Like

Yeah, it took a turn. Ive read a few chapters into this new arc intro and its all over the place.

Some new series are starting to drop - havent watched anything yet and dont know if there are any hype trains to look out for.

1 Like

I’ve been catching up on my DS episodes.

Just finished the above. hulu is treating it as a whole new anime together (1 season with 7 episodes). They’ll likely fix it in the future though. But folks. That was intense. Season finale is a tear-jerker. :sob:

It’s good this franchise is raising the bar. Fight scenes are spectacular.

“Fifth form – NEIPA slasher.”

Cheers. :beers:

2 Likes

“UMAI!”

-Rengoku-san :joy:

2 Likes

Started watching the entertainment district arc today (follows mugen arc) and DS just has a certain style about it that can suck you in, with the music, the art, the story. Just too bad they ham it up sometimes. It can go from being extremely impactful to cringe in no time.

Currently binging Komi, Ive gotten over my expectations for it and am just watching it for what it is.

1 Like

Just finished it recently and it actually didn’t turn out so bad towards the end. Maybe I just got used to it but I give it a passing grade. Not amazing but not bad at all either. Above average. Meanwhile, manga is still going good.

86 binge tonight…looking forward to it.

Btw, I gotta ask, any Fruits update?

Side note: I just finished squid game on netflix (not anime) and it was alright. Definitely overhyped imo. There were a lot of plot holes that were a bit annoying to me.

1 Like

I’m finding it more endearing as I go, has some nice moments.

No advances on the Fruits front. I need to just decide to watch it and get at it.

I tried returning to JoJo recently from where I left it - its a slog. I’m in the Egypt arc and its really slow and repetitive, makes me wonder why this is so amazing to so many people. Other seasons must be a lot better.

1 Like

86 continues to be awesome, but the last 2 eps are not airing until march?! I mean, I know why, but damn that’s a long wait. I guess I should change my anime of the year now. lol

Also watched the 1st ep of my dress-up darling (romance/slice-of-life) and, well, that was a really impressive 1st ep. Like, it was really good. The animation was also spot-on; better than komi even. Turns out the studio is cloverworks so that has some pedigree there. I expect it to be one of the top for this season. Time to read the manga!

I just realized…AoT comes on today!!! Exciting…until they, you know, drop the ending. lol (don’t worry, I’m not spoiling it) :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

I should binge 86 and Fruits,

My dress up darling is not known to me, I’ll look it up as I enjoy good SoL anime. Havent watched anything new yet so the dance card is empty.

Im on the last episode of Komi, I actually liked it a lot, was better than initial impression.

AoT - I knew it was coming out today but am not interested in it at the moment having finished the manga. I’ll come back to it once a number of episodes are out.

1 Like

Just watched and I agree, a gem of a first episode. They managed to establish the main characters and their initial connection in a natural way.

Finished Arcane… not sure what to rate it. Style, animation, the VA were all top notch. Story had some issues, for example: I wish they made more effort to tease things out instead of just advancing some plot lines really quickly. Having said that I would still say easy 8.5/10. Could probably say 9/10 if I wanted to be more generous.

1 Like

It’s finally coming. :champagne:

Time to watch the whole thing from the scratch. :man_dancing:

1 Like

Right?! Not to mention the animation was quite smooth. It’s been a long time since I’ve watched a first episode that good. Arcane aside…

Perhaps they didn’t know it would take off that much and become quite popular. But who knows. Still very enjoyable though, I just hope that more great animated content will come out as a result.

Don’t forget the extra eps that were recently released. And time to listen to Sawano music all week! Idk about you, but I really love the Aot ost; addicting as heck.

Couldn’t hold myself and watched S4E17. Those were probably my fastest 20 minutes in 2022.

Rewatched the very fist 2 eps from S1, btw. Dozens of details now make sense, after knowing about the other seasons.

Too bad hulu is still not listing them. Will watch them as soon as I have visibility.

Never looked after it. I’ll try to have a listen. Thanks!

NOOOOOOOOOO… :weary:

1 Like

You weren’t kidding. Paused the video for a second and it was about to roll the ED song. Someone said hi then someone screamed and we’re done. lol

It should be widely available on streaming services. You have the senny 800s right? Should sound pretty sweet with those!

Who knows, maybe you might like how it ends. It’s not a bad ending, but when they…ok, I’ll stop. :stop_sign:
I’ll be curious to know how you think it’ll end (just out of speculation). Of course, I won’t tell you if you get it right. I’ll just laugh if you’re totally off the mark. :joy:

2 Likes