The Anime Thread

Awesome. I give S1 a 7/10 and each season goes up about .5.

Ashoka has a really big part to play in the whole series especially towards the end and fills in her story leading into Mandalorian, her upcoming show and what I’m looking forward to most is Obi Wan’s show which will have Vader hopefully in it. Have fun! It took us awhile to binge all 7 seasons.

2 Likes

I’m gonna be honest and say I could not binge it if I wanted to. As much as I enjoyed clone wars, there were definitely eps that made me knock out. lol

1 Like

I agree on some 2 to 3 ep. story arcs where I checked out especially the ones with Jar Jar. Lol. I think all 7 seasons took us about 4-6 months. we watched the last two seasons in a week or two Lol. It got that good!

Now back to the last 3 episodes for me on Attack on Titan’s final season…

3 Likes

Some big names thrown out here! Looks interesting…

1 Like

Well that was incredibly quick! lol

1 Like

Just goes to show how powerful an angry mob of discontented idiots can be. Huge negative campaign by fans of the anime before the show even came out. My wife reviewed it and was attacked by a lot of people who told her how wrong she was, even though they’d never seen it. I feel sorry for the writers who lost their jobs. All the scripts for season 2 were more or less finished too.

1 Like

It is a shame indeed, along with all the other netflix shows that have been cancelled. I haven’t watched it yet though, not sure yet if I will.

I’m not saying it was a masterpiece. And like any TV show, we all like different things.

But a lot of the detractors based their “premature” objections on an opinion that John Cho was too old and the female lead did not look like an anime woman, rather than watching the show and explaining why they didn’t like it.

1 Like

Hmmm, I havent finished season 1 but I would have given a second season a chance I imagine.

Maybe I’ll rewatch the anime.

This might very well be the driving force, the mob got the message out that it sucked and people just decided as much before viewing themselves. However, the show did not help itself with a poor first episode - they should have had enough sense to know they would have had to nail that. If they thought they did then they didnt do any testing or they tested with the wrong people. The second episode having a different feel suggest they knew they had an issue but that just begs more questions.

An angry mob doesnt matter if people watched - I guess not enough watched. It was in the Netflix top 10 but maybe production costs needed it to be a runaway hit. I have no idea how netflix finances anything without an actual box office to draw people in. Do they get new subs based on these shows premeiring or do they need to make these shows to keep up viewership? No idea.

Regardless, Netflix screwed up what could have been a slam dunk.

Netflix isnt special anymore.

2 Likes

You’ve really hit the nail on the head with that comment. I agree, I thought the first episode was poor and I was ready to give up after watching that. The episodes after that had a different feel, as you say, and it became quite watchable, even if it wasn’t a masterpiece.

From the little I’ve heard, there was a break between filming the first episode and the remainder of the season, and the writing staff used that break to tweak the scripts, and what they did was successful IMO. But as you so rightly point out, the first episode is the most important, so if they realized the scripts needed tweaking, why on earth didn’t they redo episode 1? Perhaps the cost was too great?

I’m guessing when they started this project, they thought they could rely on the fans of the original to create some positive buzz, get it into the top 10 and then draw in the casual watchers who hadn’t seen the original. Without the support of that first group, there was no momentum to gain the support of the second group.

It makes me wonder if they could have done more when the series was in production to work with the fans of the original and explain why they made the changes they did. This is no different from trying to win a state in an election - you can’t just assume you have the support of a certain demographic, you still have to woo them a little.

Anyway, I agree with you, Netflix could have been smarter about this, and really screwed it up.

3 Likes

Folks, what about the anime version? Is it worth to watch? 26 episodes, is that it?

1 Like

Yeah and there’s a movie if I remember. I’m still not done watching but I’d say it’s worth the watch.

2 Likes

The Blue Period and Ranking of Kings - best of the season that Ive seen.

Ranking of Kings is still a mystery to me in what is actually going on but there seems to be a lot going on.

Blue Period is just good, emotionally involving without overdoing it or becoming too in your face about it. Feels like a natural evolution of the story. It has some absolutely terrific scenes. Netflix done good with this one.

I havent watched much in the past month but getting caught up on those two pulled me back in.

1 Like

Definitely agree with ranking of kings but blue period…I’m not fully caught up but I don’t know. I think the manga was just overwhelmingly good that it overshadowed the anime, at least for me. I think they made the anime a bit dull.

Oh, and spy x family manga is great, very enjoyable. Looking forward to the adaptation. I’m confident you’ll like this one.

@perogie and @hifiDJ (and anyone else), can you list your top 10 for the year?

2 Likes

Huh, I guess it is about that time. Thanks for the reminder, @PaisleyUnderground. How time flies!

Restriction: all new anime, no continuing series (yes, no fruits basket!!! :grapes::basket:)

In no particular order…

List of 10

86 (anime of the year :star:)
Both have similar themes and setting, but in a way it’s the antithesis to attack on titan. Attack on titan showcases how bad-ass and entertaining war is portrayed, while 86 showcases what it’s like to be in it. I’ve never been in war but I have done some military service myself, so I can relate just a bit. They’ve done a great job with this one.

Oddtaxi
An original and creative work done well. Multiple storylines sewn into one cohesive overarching plot. An engaging watch.

Ranking of Kings
One of those don’t judge a book by its cover. A very good anomaly out of all the shows this year.

Link Click
Oddtaxi does a good job leading the viewer to theorize and question what’s next. Link click, on the other hand, is predictable and a bit boring from the start but just hits you with an unexpected twist at the end. A good case of, “it doesn’t matter how you start but how you finish.”

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
The very few isekai actually worth watching. Something about it feels different (could be the art). It doesn’t have a particular good sense of world-building or character development (at least at the start), yet you just get oddly sucked in. The stories do get a lot more interesting and fascinating down the road.

Blue Period / Horimiya
Both are really great mangas that both anime have yet to live up to; they’re just kind of dull in comparison. Still decent shows and two of the very few slice of life to watch this year.

Sonny Boy
This one is a hard watch. It’s very heavy in its philosophical approach which, at the same time, is its downfall. But if I had been more active and attentive, I could see this being a very unique watch.

Vivy
Stunning visuals + catchy soundtrack + nice action scenes = enjoyable watch.

Jujutsu Kaisen
Probably the most well-rounded shounen I’ve watched. All the others have some kind of annoyance be it a character’s personality or some random fluff. Great animation, good soundtrack, awesome fight scenes, good character dynamics, and nice pacing all make for a solid show.

To Your Eternity
I admittedly haven’t watched it, but I am in the progress of reading the manga. I’m very confident it would have made it in the top 10, had I watched it before reading it.

Rule Breaker (technically a continuation): Violet Evergarden The Movie
I mean c’mon, I’ve been waiting for this for forever. It was such a beautiful movie to watch. I have my complaints but it was just packed with a lot emotion and passion. It’s probably one that most will enjoy.

Another rule breaker: Fruits Basket
Because I’m high on fruits! :joy: I believe I posted a spoiler-free review earlier in the thread.

Notes:

• a lot of original anime this year which was interesting…
  • if I didn’t have to do a list of 10 I’d take off Blue Period, Horimiya, and Sonny Boy
3 Likes

Just to belatedly comment:

Oddtaxi was anime of the year for me.

Jujutsu - all around solid, as @hifiDJ said, very little flaws. It turned out better than I initially thought it would be.

Combatants will be dispatched: Konosuba in space, sort of. I enjoyed this. Nothing complicated. Konosuba is one of my favourites so I gravitated towards this.

Idaten Dieities: Pure garbage, why I watched this I dont know. The first few episodes showed promise but it degenerated into plot holes, unnecessary ecchi use and overall crap.

The Way of the House Husband: Multiple short vignettes about a gangster turned stay at home husband. I found it very amusing and very easy to watch.

Horimiya: I liked this more than @hifiDJ. I thought it was very well done with good character development.

Blue Period: Starts off great, drags a little in the middle and the last few episodes have been, IMO, reaffirming of my initial praise for it. This is one of the few anime that has scenes that just grab me and hold on tight. There is one scene early on in the series between the main characters and his mother that is just jaw droppingly well done. I have seen from a few sources that the manga for this is absolute top shelf.

Vivy, 86, Mushoku: Partially watched, all good, from what I ve managed to get through so far.

Ranking of Kings: like Blue Period, still ongoing S1. Very good. Animation is deceptively basic, intentionally, which belies the complexity of its story. I have no idea what is going on, not because its a confusing story, but simpy because there is so much going on that interweaves within itself.

I dont read much manga so I cant compare these to the printed works that inspired them.

The standouts for me this year were: Oddtaxi, Jujutsu, with Ranking and Blue Period potentially rounding it off depending upon how they progress.

4 Likes

Oh boy, calling it now! Must-watch for next year. Manga is great!

2 Likes

Just started the manga for this one. Very enjoyable so far. I’m interested to see where they take this.

1 Like

Niiice! It is very binge-worthy. Anya is pretty much the cornerstone so if they nail her in the anime it will be a good one imo.

1 Like