The Off Topic: PC peripherals, custom Keyboards, Mice etc

I posted this in the wrong Off Topic Because I searched and replied to an @PaisleyUnderground post that pre-dated this branch. Copied here. I Like @PaisleyUnderground’s reply, but I’m looking for a full-size keyboard with a numeric pad.

Please reply here

How did this turn out? I have some questions for you and @TylersEclectic about these keyboards.

I’ve been very happy using the Logitech K740 illuminated wired keyboard. I’ve had one fall apart after about 8 years of beating on it, and I have another one where some of the keys require well, beating on them to make them work. I have 5 more that I use all the time. I probably could just vacuum, and then wash the thing off. Probably can get away with some dishwasher liquid, dry it out. We have a good water softener with a charcoal filter, but maybe I could even pour some distilled water to rinse before drying.

As I’ve said before, I really like this keyboard. I don’t game; I type. Logitech designed this keyboard for typists. It’s not clicky - I don’t mind a little click, but I don’t want to sound like an Underwood Manual typewriter. Oh yes, I learned on an old Royal Portable, and an Underwood Model 5 manual, and honed my skills in the incomparable IBM Selectric Mark II. So I like good feel, and just a tad more pressure and throw than the Logitech Illuminated has. But it’s the best I’ve found in years. I do like to have backlit keys.

On the other hand, I’ve yet to try any of these mechanical keyboards. I’ve started to read up on them, and the one that seems to come closest to my needs is this one:

But I suspect I’d rather have the 55G keys, and it appears from a review that it does not have very strong LED backlight, and they also say that PCB keys are better than ABS ones. I’m not very price sensitive, but I don’t care to spend $260 or so on something that is only marginally better than my Logitech.

I do want a full-size keyboard (Did I mention its for typing?) and would like the numeric pad. This is to go with a Windoze laptop. It’s my primary keyboard. Not desperate. I can snap up another Logictech keyboard from one of the little-used machines and give it the one that requires some hammering too.

So, what to y’all say or think? Is there some sort of kit? Where order a la carte? Is that easy?

3 Likes