The Off Topic

Here are some tubes for all of you to enjoy:

11 Likes

Lovely. I heard Akrapovic also makes some nice sounding tubes.

3 Likes

I personally am a fan of Yasuni handmade tubes, that’s what I have on my bike :wink:

4 Likes

Which ones the rectifier?

1 Like

Next hype :steam_locomotive: leaving the station?

Amp looks good on features. Saw a Drop on this a few weeks ago, which caught my attention. Fully differential, discrete and Class-A. Seems like a good value for the :money_with_wings:.

I’m already vaccinated against “THEEESSSEEE”, but I wonder how many folks out there pulled the trigger today given his passionate review. Definitely good for the manufacturer. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Let’s see how this amp will shake (or not) the community. Thoughts?

2 Likes

That review had a lot of questionable “assumptions” in it. I watched part of it as I was bored but had to stop.

Wasnt about the amp itself but just more general audiophile stuff that he really should know better. I dont know why I still occasionally watch him or feel the need to comment on these videos.

Hopefully the amp is good.

3 Likes

He’s like a horrible car wreck. It’s a terrible thing to see but you just can’t look away.

3 Likes

Because he is entertaining.

And You actually can learn a lot about the hands on side of his reviews. He often talks enough about usability to fill in questions that aren’t clear from the specs.

But I wouldn’t trust sound impressions. He seems about as vulnerable to confirmation bias as I have ever seen.

2 Likes

Ive said this before, he’s essentially a reviewer on the industrial design of things. 30 minute review will have the first 25 minutes talking about buttons and connections and LED colours.

I think I watch him because it keeps me aware of the product offerings out there. Sometimes he reviews little gadgets that might at some point be of use. He’s an entry point and Ive never purchased anything based on his review. I will always go elsewhere for more useful data points on sound quality, which is usually the most pressing concern for me.

2 Likes

He was the first to point out Worlds Best Cables to me. They and blue jeans are now my go-to.

1 Like

Exactly, He sees so much stuff that he makes you aware of things you may not know existed.

2 Likes

Technically he was where I learned about hart audio cables. But even then, I didn’t pull the trigger until others confirmed it.

You definitely see enough of his hands.

1 Like

Anyone familiar with Barrel Speakers (Silverdale, WA). I was thinking of trying one out.

2 Likes

I’ve been a bit absent here in the past few days. It’s mostly because I’ve been figuring out what to do with an old netbook “eeePC” that I’ve got. Runs on an Intel Atom 2 core, 12 inch. Asus 1512N is the model. It was a nice machine in it’s day. Pretty cranberry red. I’d maxed the memory to 4GB, and put in a 256GB SSD drive.

It ain’t my first OS rodeo, so I’ve been looking for a good Linux distro to install. A lightweight Linux can make an old computer new again. At first, I tried openSUSE - a flavor of Linux that I’d used before, but found that even with the new KDE Plasma desktop, it was not fast or light enough. Last night I nuked that and installed Lubuntu after repartitioning the hard drive to get rid of the co-existing Windows 7, which I’ll never use again.

I’d added some custom email to my GoDaddy account because I don’t like generic domains. I’ve had one domain for years, and grabbed one related to my name a few months ago. But GoDaddy uses Office365 for email, and it’s not easy to configure a mail client on Linux to work with that. It can be done.

I’m posting bits and pieces of what I’ve done on my LinkedIn and Facebook business page, @EJAdvisorDavidStabb. My LinkedIn is just under my name also. I can’t promise how much detail or how often, but followers and connections are always welcome.

2 Likes

Update. Evolution seems to actually work. I’d tried Mailspring, but it errored, and was not able to config Kontact (which uses Kmail, but I did find some kmail guides later). I’m not a big fan of Evolution, it is not that evolutionary, but I am a big fan of mail working.

Configuring for Office 365 Outlook is a bit wierd. I’m not sure how much of Gnome is installed on Lubuntu, but even though the download turned out to be 65mb, it’s actually pretty snappy.

I’ve recently been seeking a minimal media server and file archive PC. I too have an old Asus eeePC…but mine is too slow for anything. It won’t run most software or load many websites any more.

My journey so far:

• Raspberry Pi 4B with 4GB RAM: I built it from the raw board, but it’s no challenge compared to old-school MS-DOS, Windows 3.1, or early Linux desktop builds. Barely, barely usable as a desktop environment with Raspberry OS (formerly Raspbian). My favorite but still marginal environment is Twister OS. It seemingly bundles in “everything people actually use” on the Pi. Videos don’t drop many frames at 720P, but stutter at 1080 or above. Many Pi fans focus on retro gaming, but those are extremely dated. I have a much more powerful Xbox. If on a very small budget and unaware of PC progress over the last 20 years I could live with a Pi 4B.

• Raspberry Pi 3A+ Desktop Kit: Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha! Fully unusable as a modern PC. It’s fine as a device controller or to learn programming. Excellent for what it actually does. There’s a huge Pi 3 infrastructure and many accessories. Micro Center had the desktop kit on severe sale (closeout? was $30) so I bought it to obtain a decent keyboard, mouse, and power supply. I could sell the kit or some of the parts for more than I paid, and likely will sell it.

• Lenovo M93P Tiny: I just got it, but this one’s a keeper as a media server. Intel I5 CPU, Win 10 Pro, 8 GB RAM, 240 GB SSD, 1 GB Ethernet, and a WiFi/Bluetooth dongle in the box. Must understand how to convert DisplayPort to HDMI. These are discontinued office desktop and embedded PCs, so they are all used and their configurations vary ($100 to $200 street). It’s not competitive with a modern PC let alone a gaming PC, but does what it’s needed to do – video streaming and hard drive archive access.

5 Likes

Well seeing as you already have an eeePC, here’s what I did with mine. In the past, put in a 256GB SSD and 4GB of RAM. That improved in quite a bit over the stock. Now that is super cheap to do also.

I’ll never use Win 7 again, so I reformatted everything installing Lubuntu, the lightest of the Ubuntu Linux distros. I don’t want constant updating, so I did the LTS Long Term Support version.

It’s actually quite useable. I’d ordered a hosted email from GoDaddy, which I paid for before I thought about it. And it was Office 365 based, so it’s best if used with Microsoft protocols (EWS)
I went on a merry search for a Linux client that handled EWS well. After trying and failing with Kontact (uses Kmail, but I later found a guide that probably would have worked), installing and removing Mailspring, I got it working fairly easily with Evolution. I plan to connect one or two other non EWS accounts also.

I see that there is a Citrix Workspace client for Linux, so I will probably install that, which should give me access to my work computer. It has to be at least as good as using an iPad.

1 Like

I have the 1005HAB – its max RAM is 2GB and mine has 1GB. With its 1024 x 600 display, life is awful on most websites. Life was awful on most websites even when it was new. I need to find a narrow use or give up.

Yes the 1215N was a much better machine to begin with.

1 Like