TUBES(pre, power, rectifier) share your list of tubes

I hear you. Perhaps try it on a mousepad. It worked for me on Telefunken diamonds. Good luck.

2 Likes

Repair it or dump it?

My Tung-Sol 6SN7 GTB has a broken locator plug/key:

It’s only a $25 to $30 tube (new). Unfortunately not all pieces are present, so it’s not a simple glue-on job.

Has anyone dealt with this before? How?

2 Likes

Does your amp take two 6SN7 tubes or one tube?

Never. I’d be concerned with a faulty repair potentially resulting in damage to your other gear, where the replacement cost of the tube may not be worth the risk. Good luck.

2 Likes

One.

It’s for a Schiit Lyr 3.

I was thinking of mapping the correct pins and taping the tube as is to a socket saver. The socket saver would then serve as the key. But, it’s just a cheap tube and doesn’t matter either way…it’s more about the challenge than a need.

2 Likes

Do you want this tube? It’s yours for $10 (basically, covers shipping). There is nothing wrong with it, as far as I know. It’s a very lightly used Sylvania 6SN7WGT that I basically got by accident. My amp needs a matched pair, so a single tube is useless to me. The prior owner tested it, and says it tested at 75% of NOS. For context, tubes often test near NOS for the bulk of their useful life, so this is probably not going to last you nearly as long as a strong-testing true NOS tube, but probably good for a while nonetheless. A strong-testing NOS version of this is probably in the $50-65 range. No pressure, of course.

4 Likes

Props. Your proposed solution sounds viable.

1 Like

I’d suggest getting a socket saver, determining the proper seating carefully, and just inserting it. You could build a little guide out of plastic light setting resin, or use that to fab with what you have.

Or you could send me your address and I’ll send you mine. It’s only used about a month.
I also think I recall another user who has two TungSol 6SN7GTBs and was comparing them to each other . . .

4 Likes

Thanks. I’m not expecting much from the tube, honestly. It’s more about the challenge and ‘bringing it back from the dead’ (see old thread). I’m in a DIY mood these days and found it in a box. I do have a socket saver.

To fix it “right” one could get molding gel (alginate a la dentists, artists, and jewelers), insert a good tube for the right shape, pour in fresh resin, seat the bad tube, let the plastic bond and harden, then grind to shape.

5 Likes

PSA for 300B tube folks. The new production Western Electric tubes have been “coming soon” forever since their super early production runs, but I checked today, and it looks like they can be purchased!!! Ugh. Now to decide if I should take the plunge on Western Electric, or trust the (probably more reliable?) Japanese Takatsuki tubes. Feedback from anyone with experience is appreciated :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think @torq may have both, I believe he got a set of the WE and even ordered a second (I think, apologies if incorrect). Maybe he’ll chime in if he’s around.

1 Like

Torq replied in that 6SN7 thread with his thoughts. He seems to prefer the new production WE300B to the Takatsuki slightly, but from his description of the sonics, I think I’d actually prefer the Takatsuki.

1 Like

Crap. I did read that but forgot about the comparison he made.

1 Like

Final tube-rolling results depend so heavily on circuit used, other input/driver tubes, overall system setup, and most of all, personal preference, so one often just has to try them all.

For example, I have Takatsuki 300B’s and appreciate their virtues, but I currently run the lowly Gold Lion 300B’s. Yes, I like my sound vivid and bold.

4 Likes

Indeed. I must have them all.

3 Likes

Hey fellow tube rollers! It’s been awhile since my last post, so I figured I would share some tube pics of my collection for the ZMF Pendant SE I have on the way. I am quite proud of this collection, and I am sure some of you tube gurus will realize how amazing this collection is. Most of these tubes are super rare and very hard to find for a reason. :wink:

Driver tubes

12AT7/ECC81

Left to Right - Brimar CV4033 Triple Mica, Brimar CV4033 Double Mica, Sylvania 6201 Gold Brand Black Plate, CBS 7728, Raytheon 7728 (1 Hole in Plate), Raytheon 7728 (2 Holes in Plate), Valvo ECC81 Square Getter (Bottom Code), Valvo ECC81 Coin Base (Very first version), Philips Hamburg 6201 Pinched Glass Triple Mica D Getter (As rare as they come, and considered the “Holy Grail” of 12AT7 variants), Lorenz ECC81 Foil D Getter (Stuggart, and another super rare “Holy Grail” level tube), and Amperex Holland ECC81 Foil D Getter

12AU7/ECC82

Left to Right - Amperex 7316 Long Plate Foil D Getter, Amperex Holland ECC82 Long Plate Foil D Getter, Brimar CV4034, Valvo Hamburg Long Plate Foil D Getter 55’ (super rare), Raytheon 7730 Long Plate Angled Square Getter (ultra rare), Mullard Blackburn ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter 57’, Lorenz ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter (ultra rare), Valvo ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter 56’ (ultra rare), CBS/Hytron 5814a Black Plate Square Getter, Sylvania 5814a Triple Mica Grey Plate Square Getter, and Siemens ECC82 Chrome Plate

12AX7/ECC83

Left to Right - CBS 7729 Long Plate, and Brimar CV4035

Rectifiers

EZ81/6CA4

Left to Right - Mullard EZ81 Blackburn Square Getter (Wrinkle Glass Earliest Version), Valvo labled Mullard EZ81 Blackburn Square Getter, Raytheon Japan EZ81 Triple Mica Square Getter (so rare I have never seen another one!), Telefunken EZ81 O Getter, and G.E.C. U709 (This is ultra rare and expensive and supposed to be the “one”)

Power Tubes

EL84/6BQ5/7189

Left to Right - Mullard EL84 Blackburn RX1 Square Getter (early version), Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getter (first version with 1 hole plate), Valvo Hamburg EL84 Dish Getter (second version with 3 holes in plate), Amperex 7189 Holland D Getter (super rare), and Philips Holland EL84 D Getter

EL84 cont. -

Tungsram EL84 with Foil Dish Getters (early version and rare)

Another pic of the famous rectifier the G.E.C. U709, which again is supposed to be on another level compared to all other EZ81 rectifiers, and I can’t wait to hear what it can do when I get my Pendant SE.

I plan to report back in the Pendant thread, once I get mine and have had some time rolling and listening. Also, I have more rare and amazing NOS tubes on the way, so the collection is still growing.

Happy Rolling and Collecting,

Wes

9 Likes

Good day everyone, I just got a ta-10r and it comes with a 12au7 I believe. I am not sure what options I have for tubes. I was reading through the first 100 posts and honestly this is harder than picking a dac or amp

I just want something under a 100 if possible, and compatible with my unit. Not sure if I can use 12ax7 or not

Or as this being my first tube amp/hybrid any suggestions on some good budget tubes, maybe buy two or 3 under 40 to try.

Overall though, anyone’s top 3 tubes under a 100 would be greatly appreciated.

In addition, if you can teach me in a simple way what the idea is behind I guess a balanced tube or I believe on a webpage review I was reading it suggested to get something along those lines for this amp. Maybe? Balanced triode I guess

Or you can just link a source where I can read this all to better understand which 12au7 tube I should select.

1 Like

audiotubes.com > 12AU7. Read page. Email Brent your budget per tube and number of tubes desired, ask for recommendation. Order internally balanced. Stick with 12AU7 and its variants with the same gain.

You can try to tell him your desired sonics and anything gleaned from reading the page above. Enjoy.

6 Likes

Yea I went to that website already, you posted that a while ago. That website seems to be for more avid users. Does it provide sonic descriptions? I didn’t see it

Me telling him sonic characteristics I enjoy basically amounts to purchasing every tube they got😂

I will reach out to him, but it’s still going to be tough. Appreciate it

1 Like