TUBES(pre, power, rectifier) share your list of tubes

Thanks. Noise testing wasn’t mentioned on the pages I was looking at (primarily 12au7, 6550, 5ar4) so I wonder why he’s offering it for specific tubes. I wonder why he’s charging for it at all - if I buy a tube and it’s noisy then I’m sending it back and asking for a refund. I don’t feel the need to pay up front for that test, other than avoiding the PITA to return it.

1 Like

That is peculiar. Maybe there are some sensitive applications for those tubes where you might want extra clean ones. Or maybe they’re more prone to noise. I hadn’t seen that service offering either.

Generally I would think that selling a noisy tube isn’t good for business. A lot of vendors up charge for matching, low micro phonics, high gain so to charge for the testing isn’t unheard of. Tapping a tube may be what he does to get a better measurement if he finds them noisy.

I’ve never had a bad tube from him but his measurement practices can be different than what others do.

2 Likes

I hope it works out for you! Not sure how common this experience is, but I had this crackling happen to a used Sylvania bad boy tube (one of a pair), and the tapping fixed/improved it for a while, but it eventually just died altogether. Was about a week or two.

3 Likes

Having read @Wes_S ’ advice, maybe that’s what did it. I was tapping while hot. Whoops…

3 Likes

The most I’ve ever done with a tube while hot is gently nudge it if I was getting static, just to reseat it in the socket.

I’ve got one tube that is staticky that is likely due to grid current, I doubt tapping would fix it but what the hell, I should try it. It’s the first tube that’s gone squirrelly on me. Too bad too, cause I liked it.

3 Likes

Tapping on your tubes is not a good idea unless you are trying to clear stuck debris attached to the cathode. Kind of a last resort exercise.

4 Likes

True, and I still only do that while the tube is cool, and definitely not hot or while running in amp.

2 Likes

Does anybody have suggestions for tube literature that might get me beyond tube basics, but that doesn’t require an electrical engineering PhD to understand? I feel like I’ve gotten through the baby steps of learning the difference between a rectifier, input, and power tube, some of the interchangeability, and so forth, but I’d like to try to get to more of the “why” and “how”. I’m guessing someone has written a book or textbook somewhere, and wanted to throw out the question to the experts.

5 Likes

Did some digging on YouTube, and this wasn’t a bad start: https://youtu.be/oHjZs0bNwEs

4 Likes

“Uncle Doug”
I have found this guy helpful. Now he’s more focused on guitar amps, but the tube theory is still the same. He also has a bunch of videos on how other parts of the amp works, like the psu, capacitors, overall amp designs etc.

Part I

Part II

4 Likes

Here are a couple of vintage black & white videos that may not be what you’re looking for, but I found interesting:
The first is an instructional video on how a tube works. The second was made by Mullard to explain how their tubes were made.

5 Likes

Below are some resources:

http://audiotubes.com/books.htm

9 Likes

Posted some tube rolling impressions in the Euforia thread, thought it might fit in with this thread as well.

5 Likes

Super cool. Never really understood how tubes worked. Really amazing.

1 Like

Hi everyone, haven’t been on here in a long time do to health issues,

Wanted to post this information for the owner of Tubemonger

Fo

We apologize for regularly running out of stock on our popular Socket Savers and Adapters and Flying Leads CV 4033/4034/4035 Tubes. Last year+ has been challenging due to Covid related shipping delays and stolen packages full of adapters and socket savers.

For efficient service, you can NOW order NOVIB SOCKET SAVERS, ADAPTERS and Flying Leads tubes like CV4033, CV4034, CV4035 and CV4001 directly with our Engg Facility. Shipping is Flat Fee $8 via FEDEX for any number of items in a single order.
https://pulsetubestore.com/ (NOT MADE IN CHINA)

IF Out of Stock on this site, you can order these factory direct at pulsetubestore.com. Click on the above banner.

10 Likes

Thanks @jb77!
(20 characters)

1 Like

Nice to see you back @jb77.

3 Likes

Hi everyone, I am listening some of my 12au7 tubes for sale
(Link below)

12AU7 variants

1. Mullard Blackburn goal post getter ECC82
  2. Brimar CV491/12AU7/ECC82 Long Plate Square Getter England 1958
  3. Valvo 12AU7 ECC82 Germany, Hamburg Made Tubes (GfO D9E), SlantedGetters