USB to coax or optical?

Does anyone know of a device that is portable and converts USB to either Coax or Optical?

I am looking for something that I could connect to a DAP (or a phone) via the USB port to give me a digital output. Bonus points for something that has both digital output and analog (true) line out. I don’t need a headphone output.

If you have an iPhone, the Apple dock has a digital coax out.

The same port also serves as an analog line out

What you’re looking for is called a “Digital to Digital Converter” or you can Google/look on Amazon for “USB to S/PDIF Converter”. Too many options to list.

If it comes with an analog line output then it is, by definition, a DAC … and it’ll be the DAC in that unit, rather than the source, that’ll be output over the line out.

1 Like

Thanks @torq , I am probably better off with two separate units. I was thinking USB to S/PDIF to connect my DAP or phone to my desktop DACs/Amps and the line out to use in the cars. I think I will just get a DDC for desktop use and something like the Meridian 2 for the cars.

For a simple DDC, I have come across lots of cheap options (AE, Amazon etc.) but I’m not sure if I should opt for something of a higher grade. I know it is only 1’s and 0’s but what if it is dyslexic :smile:

1 Like

The Matrix X-SPDIF 2 just might be the best one out there - lots of high end rigs use it.

1 Like

Hi and welcome @nycenglish.

Welcome @nycenglish and thanks for the input!

1 Like

Thanks guys!

1 Like

If you use a Cayin or Hiby DAP, you could use this: Cayin CS-30TCR

2 Likes

Thanks antdroid. My DAPs are Shanling (M0 and M2X) so I’m not sure it would work.

1 Like

for a DDC, there are two main USB receivers options available:

Amanero and XMOS XU208

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amanero-Italy-Daughter-Card-To-I2S-Coaxial-Upgrade-XMOS-Decoder-DAC-Shell-New/323502007570

• this provides coax, optical and I2S outputs using the Amanero chipset. USB bus powered or using an external supply

https://www.ebay.com/itm/XMOS-XU208-Asynchronous-USB-to-Coaxial-Optical-Output-Digital-Interface-L5-7/113647751900

• similar item but using XMOS and without I2S output. However, allows you to have upgraded TXCO clocks

Depending on your computer OS, you may or may not need drivers, but they are readily available.

1 Like

Hi @Torq - does this seem like a decent solution for DDC, I2S output (usb from mac input)?

Can’t say, as I haven’t tried it.

But note two things. For I2S that unit uses the PS Audio pin-out, so make sure that’s what your DAC uses (some units can be reconfigured for other standards; this isn’t one of them). And since it’s XMOS-based, if it ever needs a firmware update you’ll probably have to go find a Windows machine to do it from.

2 Likes

@Torq - I’d be using the Topping D90 for the DAC. Not sure if that uses the PS Audio I2S standard?

Nor am I. I know the D90 can be configured for different I2S setups, but not the specifics.

But given that the D90 uses the same (or better, if you have the MQA version) XMOS chipset, has better clocks than the DDC you linked, and uses I2S internally from the XMOS board to the DAC chip anyway, I’d be extremely surprised if using a DDC like that would’t make things WORSE than just using the native USB input.

If we were talking about coming off a Raspberry Pi or a high-end transport/streamer it might be different.

3 Likes

That just satisfied my curiosity and saved me a little at the same time! Thanks!

2 Likes