What are your favorite headphones for electronic music and why?

I’d be interested in hearing how good the Verite are with electronic music. I bet the closed back ZMFs, like the Eikon or Atticus, could also be worth trying - although I say this with limited direct experience, just a few CanJam test-drives.

I have the LCD2 Classic and like them well enough for electronic music but I find myself reaching for my TH-X00 Ebony more often if I want a rich, v-shaped, and bassy sound.

Great playlist, btw, @angstorms!

4 Likes

I think when @ProfFalkin jumps on he can give you his thoughts on those for electronic music. I am pretty sure if I remember correctly he listens to electronic music genre often and has heard or owned at one point nearly every ZMF made. I also know @metal571 enjoys electronic so I am sure we will get more thoughts later today!

3 Likes

They are very good because you can crank the bass and the VC just do it, but they don’t quite get to true basshead levels like the TH-X00 series or other well known bass cannons. This is perfectly fine by me, because those bass canons are usually screwed up in the mids and treble, which the VC does sooooooo much better.

Honestly, if the VC doesn’t satisfy your needs for bass, stop and go buy Beats and save yourself $2K. I’m serious.

8 Likes

That was fast!!! hahah Thanks buddy, you think the ZMF VC are you favorite for electronic music so far not just the bass factor but stage, imaging, tonality, enjoyability?

2 Likes

It depends. If there are no vocals, and it’s hard techno like dubstep, then my E-mu Teak satisfies a bit more. With that stuff, it really is all about dat bass. (Dat bass, dat bass, no treble.)

For everything else - trance, house, idm, etc., then yes I would say the Verite or Eikon both are my favorite. Verite edges out the Eikon with a more even FR, open staging, and better weight / ergonomics.

3 Likes

Awesome thank you, brother! This convo is getting interesting. So we have had a few that have leaned towards some the LCD line, a couple for the Abyss, and I imagine @TylersEclectic and now @ProfFalkin for ZMF VC for electronic.

EDIT: @Monsterzero also for the Verite Closed for Electronic

This part is well said as it really does depends on the genre of Electronic music a person is listening to. So for the purpose of this thread, we will just say a favorite all a rounder for Electronica that fits the needs for all the sub-genres.

4 Likes

I like most kinds of EDM but my personal favorite is drum and bass

for liquid I really enjoy my LCD2F, although this is probably my favorite headphone overall of what I own so I’ll listen to most anything with it. Really clear and refined with some decent impact and slam

For the harder darker stuff I enjoy my bass cannons - mostly the X00 purplehearts and sometimes the monoprice retros. Big booming bass for some nasty basslines and womps

Recently got the Eikons as well, I’d say similar to the LCD2F they’re good for most electronic music with some more than respectable slam, and great detail

3 Likes

That I’ve heard, Argon mk3. It’s a very immersive sound that, though very good, is not an all-rounder and so I had to get rid of mine. However, one of the things it does do well is electronic music, in which it’s easy to get entranced.

2 Likes

LCF 2 Pre Fazor is still my go to

4 Likes

What I can say before you go spend more money on another set of headphones Please try the ZMF Pendant with your favorite headphone

I just rolled thought today

• Audeze LCD-4
  • Focal Stelia
  • Hifiman HE-1000 SE
  • Rosson Rad-0
  • ZMF Vertie

It really brings a much richer experience to your music, more stage, harder-hitting bass, unique air.

HE-1000 SE with Fatboy Slims Right Here Right Now, Moby Ghost Returns, and Massive Attack Weather the Storm just stand out with them. the lack of heft also makes them a joy to wear.

They are all great headphones each in a special way just sound better on Pendant over all my solid-state amps Single Ended. One thing HE-1000 SE will reveal quickly how warm the other headphones are.

4 Likes

With that being said which is your favorite for Electronic music? You have a pretty impressive stable if you are riding the electronic train and you can choose only one which would it be?

1 Like

I think it goes without saying, LCD 4 for me. But the ultra high resolution of the 1266 Phi TC might change my mind if I get a chance to hear one at home. EDM requires very fast, bottomless bass and extreme treble resolution above 10k to track the air in synths properly. There is a surprising amount of detail that is put out by some modern DAWs. It’s fascinating to listen to different tracks and hear a much larger difference in quality between them with stuff like the LCD 4 due to that detail ability. Might make you hate some of your music though as the differences in mastering become a much larger limitation on what the headphone is capable of.

9 Likes

Of the headphones you own/have in your possession, which do you prefer for the genre?

1 Like

So that’s how we get into EDM. Okay, so if you had any recommendations for tracks, I’m willing to try something other than serious audiophile music!

5 Likes

You guys discuss treble tuning in the Audeze board meetings to meet the needs of EDM lovers?

2 Likes

@Resolve there is Electronic and house music mixed with live Jazz and string instruments I think you will dig.

2 Likes

Can you even get those anymore?

I hope to have my replacement Focal Clears arrive soon. Been a long wait, bloody Corona virus.

4 Likes

The Stax SR-009S is really good. The 1266 TC’s are great if you need that extra sub bass but honestly Sony MDR-Z1R is much more enjoyable than either of those two. It’s just an easier set of cans to listen to for longer periods. I have some pre fazor LCD2rev2’s that also do well but still prefer the Sony’s over them.

1 Like

Looking @ValentineLuke tracklist, he has excellent set https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/electronic/pl.u-zPN6LtZ5yGqW

My set is a survey of Electronica from 1970 to early 2000, note they are most definitely not Audiofile tracks https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/3127186 I set my list up for the community here to have something fun to listen too. I turned on the flag so other can add their favorites tracks as well.

Just remember there is also a whole world Analog Synthesiser music out there. Lookup band from the Krautrock era like Popol Vuh. Find tracks that use Moogs, Mellotrons, ARP Odyssey, Yamaha CS-80, Sequential Circuits Prophet-5, Fairlight CMI, etc

3 Likes