What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

Yes that’s a really great collection. I hope your new acquisition works out for you.

4 Likes

For the time being I actually use a step-up transformer with pro bias along with my CXA-80 integrated amp. In my opinion it sounds nicer than the 006t I used to have but I’ll get my KGSSHV build up and running at some point. It sadly blew after about 40 hours of use due to what I’m gonna guess was a cold solder joint. Redoing it shouldn’t be hard but I just lack the time.

5 Likes

Greetings

I’m new to the headphone / DAC / AMP hobby. As such, I look for what I see others, such as around here, are talking about and obvious ‘deals’ that come across my desk. It has really transformed my evening recreation time and work environment for the better. With some nice DACs and AMPs in tow and massive Qobuz and Amazon HD libraries to splash around in, I am re-visiting so many artists and styles, Ska - Steely Dan - Grateful Dead - Dub, and on and on. You get the idea. Anyway,

Sony WH-1000XM3 -edited from XM4
This is my primary travel and work headphone. Obviously, the interference of the active noise canceling wizardry sort of knocks it out of the true audiophile consideration. But hardwired through my Dragonfly Cobalt with active canceling on gives me a chance to really escape the world and focus on reading or reports or what-have-you. Using blue tooth, leaf blowing and lawn mowing are actually enjoyable. I am so sold on these, it was my father-in-laws Christmas gift. As I hear it, my mother-in-law needs a white board to talk with him now.

Drop HD-6XX
Gizmodo reported a deep sale for these, so I threw some bucks out the window. Hooked into the PC through a EVGA NU Audio sound card got the ball rolling. I’ll spare everyone my ham-fisted sound description except to say I really like them for gaming and musical enjoyment and wanted to explore the hobby more.

Focal Elegia
I wanted to try something different to expand the inventory. Narrow it down…Focal, OK a lot of chatter about Focal in these parts. Planar or closed back? No planar, so closed back sounds interesting. Whoa! Look at that price for the Elegia. OK, jump in. Very nice set of closed back cans! I would say that I prefer the Elegia over the HD-6XX, but I like them both. I’ll switch between the two and think to myself as the music changes “Yeah, I like these! Listen to that!” Both are keepers. This is fun, am I missing anything? Darnit -this site- why to you hate my wallet? What did it ever do to you? I see you have a sale for …

Focal Elear (plus case and ear pads)
I got these last month but never opened the box. I wanted to really explore the HD-6xx and Elegia first. Input from the commentariate was not encouraging :-/ They need EQ or alternate pads; or so I repeatedly read. Well shoot. I opened them up the other night and plugged them in… WOW! OK, these are the bees knees. Clear, wide. These are now the top dog in my collection. I’ll trust others with more finely tuned ears as to their sonic profile, but for my use they are fantastic out of the box as is.

Cheers all!

15 Likes

Nice collection. :+1:t4:

I still need a pair of HD6XX.

2 Likes

Are you from the future?

Or is that a typo?

8 Likes

I was thinking the same thing when I read it. I have the 3’s and wondering how much better they can do with the, eventual, 4’s.

2 Likes

Awesome collection, I want to give the Elegia a listen soon.

4 Likes

The Elegia’s are a fantastic closed back, really enjoying mine.

2 Likes

Great impressions @FrostyBud. And that’s a fine collection of gear.

2 Likes

All I can say is, yes, dubstep is still a thing. We’re on Sharknado 13, and audiences still can’t get enough of robotic arms.

But I’ll see if I can edit to “Sony 1000xm3” to keep my identity a secret. Thanks for the catch!

4 Likes

ZMF Aeolus - These are my endgame pair, and sound incredible with everything I throw at them. The mids, and especially vocals, sound hauntingly lifelike. These headphones sound killer with both my amps, but stay connected to my Bottlehead Crack 99% of the time.

ZMF Ori - These are my “fun” pair, for when I want some slamming bass, decent isolation, and killer soundstage. I listen to a lot of electronica with these babies. The Ori have a special place in my heart, and will always be my favorite pair of headphones, just don’t let my Aeolus know I said that. :wink: The Ori pair extremely well with my Liquid Platinum amp.

MrSpeakers Alpha Prime - These are used mostly for Jazz, and Acoustic, as well as movies. They have great isolation, and pair extremely well with my Liquid Platinum amp. I also like these when I want a little more treble, and less bass, compared to my Ori.

Sennheiser HD650 - These are my first good pair of headphones, that I compare all others to. I use these with Jazz and Acoustic stuff, and when I am testing out new tubes in my Bottlehead Crack amp.

Sony MDR-1A - These are my portable over ears, and I use them on the go and watching movies on my ipad.

15 Likes

1 Like

Trippy!

1 Like

Man what a great collection @Wes_S another :+1: up for what seems to be the universally cherished Aeolus!

4 Likes

Thanks! I am quite fond and proud of my collection. :wink:

5 Likes

I thought I would update my current stable and why!

Crazy how much stuff has changed in just about a month!

Parted ways with the IFi XDSD, and added the iFi IDSD micro black label step up in sound for all my headphones. Added DragonflyRed for the most portable listening experience. Still using the same desktop amp/Dac but looking at a Schiit stack soon for another listening area. Qobuz is now my main listening source as well as I still use Amazon MusicHD.

All my Sennheiser gear including the true wireless momentum iem, and 550XII ANC headphones are gone! They just didn’t sound good enough for the money and I would rather put that money into stuff that provides the sound I am looking for.

My treasured 6XX is still with me and way too special of a sound to let go!

Added Aeon2C beginning of the year more detailed impression to come!

EDIT: Swaped the Elear with Clear pads for Elegia!

Still have the Ananda’s And enjoying!

Also now have a set of Campfire Polaris 2 IEM’s which are fun for portable as IEMs are not really my go-to due to comfort reasons.

Lastly, of course, my other treasures the Porta Pros with Yaxi pads!

This year I am most interested in the LYR 3 and Bifrost 2 and most recently became interested in the Aeolus Headphones as I haven’t seen one negative thing said about them yet. We shall see what is left this time next year!

More detailed impressions to follow!

10 Likes

That’s awesome!

I love the ‘diversity’ both sonically, and cost wise.

It’s always great to hear about what changes are made in our listening and why.

Looking forward to more impressions. :+1:t4:

4 Likes

I have the Forza HPC Noir cable (2M + a a 4-pin female balanced to 1/4" SE “pigtail,” very useful). It’s the perfect cable: no kinks, no microphonics, a joy to use, and a great sound.

4 Likes

Here’s my current collection plus recently sold ones.
The source is Linn Klimax DS3 Katalyst streamer/DAC .
I use BHSE as the energizer for the electrostatics and EAR HP4 or Dynalo for the others.

Electrostatic headphones

Perun Live Sound
The latest and the final headphone model from Perun Voice is the pinnacle of headphone sound reproduction to me at the moment. It is very balanced, clear, airy and has a huge soundstage. Everything has its location in the 3D space and the imaging is sharp. Overall presentation is very smooth and extends to both low and high ends. But most of all, it has very clean and natural midrange and deep bass texture with real weight. I’ll say this is the hidden gem of all TOTL headphones.
It kind of sits on my head and is one of the most comfortable headphones I have experienced. There’s very little clamp on my head but it still sits tight. It is hard to drive as are the Stax 007mk1 and Phenomenon Canorum.

Perun Classic
This is the “open grill” predecessor of the Live Sound version and has many of its properties. However, it has more narrow soundstage in width but extends height. The bass and treble is good, but the star of the show is the intimate smooth mids. Good for medium volume listen to vocals, acoustic and classical. Easy to drive, like Stax 009 and L700.

Phenomenon Canorum
If you think electrostatics don’t have deep punchy bass with slam then you need to hear this. Otherwise pretty closed soundstage but natural and organic sound. Tight clamp on my head, but surprisingly comfortable with thick pads. To me, they are more closed than open headphones based on sound leakage.

Stax SR-007mk1 (with modded 009 pads)
007mk1 is my favorite of any Stax phones. It is balanced, has bass - although a bit sloppy - with reasonable treble extension.
Hardest Stax to drive, but with power, scales well as do the Peruns.

Sold: Stax SR-009
Technically very advanced headphones, very balanced and detailed. However, to me not as natural sounding as the previous ones.

Sold: Stax SR-L700
Baby 009 as they say. To me sound signature is somewhere between the 007 and 009. It is not as detailed as the previous ones, but still close. It has a bit of wall-of-sound type of presentation when compared to 009. Similar as Sony CD3000 compared to Utopia. Considering its price, it has high value. As easy to drive as the 009.

Dynamic headphones

Sony MDR-R10
Everyone has probably heard of these legendary headphones from the past. Still competitive with certain type of music like classical, acoustic and vocals. It really does have a smooth midrange to die for. No doubt, the best mids of all headphones in existence. With good amplification the fast bass has also quantity.

Sony MDR-CD3000
Very different than R10 in sound signature. It has a huge soundstage but a bit diffused and colored tone. Still, nice listening experience for me every time a put them on. I was surprised, how much the sound changed with Roon convolution filter. It was like different phones with more balanced SQ without any treble spikes.

Sony MDR-SA5000
This has some similarities with CD3000, but is way more bright. Too bright for me. It appears to be a detail monster almost like the HD800.

Sold: Sony MDR-Z1R
Pretty nice soundstage and dynamic sound for a closed phones. It had too much bass for my tastes. Mid-bass boost is obvious. The other cons is a bit metallic timbre.

Sold: Focal Utopia
Utopia does a lot of things right. Balance, imaging, timbre, you name it. The problem is TOTL electrostatics do everything better. The only thing that distracted me was the narrow soundstage which didn’t get any better with more powerful amplification. Overall, the best of all dynamic headphones IMO.

Sold: Grado HP1000
Nice balanced FR, but soundstage is like non-existent. Good for rock and pop stuff. Pads get a bit hot during listening. Still I enjoyed the Grado magic with these legendary cans. I still have the RS2 with serial and buttons on the grills.

PS. SR1a with Jot R is in my shortlist to try hopefully soon. Based on what I have read it could be a game-changer…

9 Likes

Important Update: The one headphone I really can’t do without, is finally in the house–a blackwood Aeolus. It’s ~50% burned in and already sounding spectacular.

Happiness is a warm Aeolus…

I’ll be selling some stuff in a month or two. Audio gear that’s pretty good, or in some cases, extremely good, but just isn’t getting used.

8 Likes