What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

Nice man! The 2 headphones that will never leave my collection are the ZMF Aeolus and Ori. They both take fun, to another level.

1 Like

We want… no we NEED pictures :blush:

Wes, I feel exactly the same way about my Aeolus & Ori.

2 Likes

pictures will be coming soon…

3 Likes

Nice! These 2 headphones are the definition of “Musical”. They both have their special flavor from different driver types, but both are incredible.

What are the Ori’s like?

I’ll try to answer–but it really would help if you were familiar w/the sound of planar headphones (vs dynamics like the Aeolus).

The Ori was my first planar. I went on to own 4 more, 2 of which I still have. The Ori costs less retail than 3 of those 4, but IMO sounds better & more musically satisfying than all of them.

The bass deserves separate commentary, but what I hear, top to bottom in the Ori, is a lack of distortion or compression. Notes just suddenly appear w/o that subliminal sense there’s a vibrating dynamic driver working away 1" from your ear. Note launch & decay in the Ori are positive, stable, a result of how planar drivers operate.

The tonality is pure ZMF: natural weight in the lower registers; non-recessed mids (not a V-shaped sound here); and treble that is informative & sufficiently detailed without being bright or edgy. There’s plenty of detail, but it sounds unforced & organic. The overall voicing is slightly warm, definitely not clinical or forensic.

Some don’t like the treble of the Ori (any planar), claiming it inferior to dynamic drivers. I tend to not agree, beyond certain HPs with exceptional treble like the Verite Open & Closed. IMO, the Ori = the ZMF “house sound” done very well…a musical & relaxing sound that can kick major ass at higher volumes.

The soundstaging is very spacious, well above average for a closed back. The Eikon & Aeolus slightly out-do the Ori here, but I’m very happy w/the Ori’s soundstage.

The bass is, well, insane. I’m not talking hyped level of bass frequencies, but instead the quality of bass. There’s a unique texture & solidity to planar bass that even the best dynamics can’t match. I call the Ori’s bass “crushing” because of the sudden launch & power of bass notes (again, fast note launch w/o distortion or compression).

I would say the Ori, Eikon, and Aeolus tie for the best, most musically pleasing bass I’ve ever heard. The Eikon has very slightly more sub-bass, and is more neutral/level throughout the entire bass range than the others; the Aeolus has more bounce in the mid-bass, regardless of pads used (I mean that as praise…Aeolus bass sounds extremely musical to me). But the Ori has that stunning planar bass.

IMHO the Aeolus is the best, most musical all-rounder headphone I’ve ever heard–but that doesn’t mean I’ll ever sell the Ori.

8 Likes

Well said and I completely concur! As much as Iove my Aeolus, the Ori will always be my all time favorite headphone.

I am on my way home, to listen to my Ori now.

Here is my pair.

7 Likes

Don’t make me think about having sold my Ori and Vibro. Such a regret.

They are the only planar headphones I’ve ever truly liked.

3 Likes

Very cool! Thanks @Pharmaboy and @Wes_S I officially tapped myself out for audio gear in 2020 unless I sell something I have now. Today I ordered a pair of like new Aeolus from Zack, what a cool dude.

Planar headphones are my favorite hands down from the headphones I have heard, there is something about the speed, dynamics, And maybe timbre I am drawn to. I haven’t found a pair of Non Planar headphones that I like better yet than the Planar cans I currently own Ananda and Aeon 2C. So when you mentioned those today it made me curious.

5 Likes

Wow that is high praise!!

1 Like

But but . . . it’s only February.

2 Likes

Lol I know but LYR3/Bifrost -> ZMF Aeolus

giphy

6 Likes

Money well spent, if you ask me. :wink: I bet you are gonna love those Aeolus, and I look forward to hearing your impressions.

2 Likes

I agree lol :joy: I just thought the gif was funny of the little guy throwing the money :moneybag:

1 Like

It’s just about impossible to photograph blackwood. I’ll have to try again on a sunny day…maybe that’ll do the trick. These will do for now:

10 Likes

That’s George McFarland, in his first appearance as Spanky, in the Little Rascals, at the age of 3 in 1931.
The episode is called “Spanky” and can be found on YouTube.

4 Likes

I grew up on re-runs of “Our Gang” or, “The Little Rascals”. I still enjoy them, and have watched several with my son.

“The Three Stooges” is another timeless classic.

2 Likes

Everything I learned about behavior & relationships, I learned from “The Three Stooges.”

3 Likes

Curly was a ladies man…

6 Likes