What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

Beyerdynamic plays a big role in my collection.

Dt880 600 ohm end game for me a decade ago. Just almost everything I want with the sound that matches. (Favorite pair)

Dt770 600 ohm was my first pair and nostalgic about this set. (Nostalgia)

Dt990 600 ohm with amiron wireless filters and stock tygr pads for a tygr300r like signature. I couldn’t take the intense v shape with stock. I wanted to finish the DT collection. (Finishing the collection)

Tygr 300 r because I always wanted portable dt880 and these seemed like a great option and fits. Although it reminds me more of the dt990. Always wanted portable open backs like these. (Portable open backs. Btr5 on the headband so I can be mobile and hear things around me)

Amiron wireless because I need warmth after all those years of bright headphones. I can wear these for hours and be satisfied with everything. (Wanted these to be the upgrade from dt880 but are different)

Nighthawks because I need dark headphones now. My sound preferences have changed and I lean dark and bassy now. I love how these sound! (Favorites)

Aeon 2 closed has been what I’ve been looking for in a closed back pair of cans. End game for me for closed backs. (The closed backs for me)

Neumann ndh20 when I want to slap my btr5 on the headband and have high end bluetooth headphones. (Replaced dt1350, m50, m40x, drop thx panda for portable closed back)

My headphone progression has been a trip on hunting for replacements or successors to my dt770 and dt880 which are my favorite headphones. Dt770 more so for nostalgia.

Gl2000 on the way to contend for the title.

Started with brighter sounding headphones and transitioned to warm dark headphones.

5 Likes

I have been mostly speaker/monitor listening the last while. I have a project that has been keeping me up late this week so I am immersing myself in the headphones again. I have a paired down, modest collection now - Sennie HD650 Kiss mods, HD600s, some modded AKGs and these. This is a pair I built myself and is my current go-to. Elleven Acousica R1 drivers in their Mahogany cups, sunflower modified Grado OEM pads, and an OCC teflon cable I built. I am feeding them with an RME ADI2 DACfs and a modified Mapletree Audio Design Ear+ HD (upgraded wire and caps, I bounce between a Brimar Yellow Label and a Valvo Gold Pin driver tube). The midrange is spectacular. I’m a Harbeth guy and these cans with this amp get me. They’re spooky good. I love them.

7 Likes

PLEASE ELUCIDATE
20char

About halfway down the page.

1 Like

It is HD414 pads with the center cut out and Grado OEM L-Cush carefully stretched overtop. It’s a bit fiddly but you get better bass, better space and, if you have giant ears like me, your ears don’t touch the drivers which is a major issue with the L-Cush pads. G-Cush changes the tuning too much, but this mod hits the goldilocks just-right spot. I put a 400u Sefar polyester mesh over the drivers as I have found that my hair will touch the drivers occasionally and cause problems.

2 Likes

YES! I do the mod with the L-Cush pads and the center of the 414 pads cut out. Christian from Elleven Acoutica recommends nothing between your ears and the driver and I agree. I do use an open polyester mesh, though, as I have found my hair will touch the driver occasionally causing distortions. The foam from the 414s attenuated the goodness of the R1s too much.

4 Likes

So why Sennheiser 414 pads and not a Grado S cushion? Or a Yaxi S cushion and get purple inside. that was for you, @TylersEclectic

I have no issues with the L pads, never cared that much for G. I agree with nothing between ear and driver. I expect that the mod would slightly increase the density of the foam, which is sort of the same idea as the “tape mod”.

2 Likes

I read about the mod online. The guy used 414 pads and so I did, too. Purple? Ewwww.

1 Like

I need to update my list as this has changed significantly for me!

1 Like

Greetings, a newbie here and it seems this is the thread to get acquainted with the community. Had lurked here for a while - especially in the run-up to getting the RAAL SR1a, which I drive with a Chord stack of HMS, TT2 and TToby. So, here’s the rundown of what I have, have coming and would like to get in the future:

• RAAL-requisite SR1a: This forum and Torq’s reviews have certainly been a factor in considering this very innovative headphone. Before this, I had been seriously considering the Susvara which I had borrowed for a while from a friend but decided that the SR1a suits me better for classical, jazz, acoustic, and vocal music which I listen to majority of the time and I already had a nice power amp so it kind of became a no-brainer to get. It’s considerably cheaper than a Susvara as well so the SR1a made perfect sense.

Overall, I can’t be happier with the SR1a for the things I mainly listen to. That being said, it isn’t great for bass-heavy music like EDM, hip-hop, modern detuned metal, or even rock as I find the extended treble makes distorted electric guitars (especially guitars like the Strat and Tele) sound a little too piercing to my ears. And, believe me, I lean towards the bright side of the sonic spectrum, having owned and loved the HD800 S for many years.

When it comes to clarity, resolution, details, imaging and soundstage, it’s hard to imagine anything else topping this at the moment. For vocals, the SR1a is just startlingly realistic. When listening to female vocalists like Alison Krauss, Diana Krall, Norah Jones and opera sopranos like Joan Sutherland and Maria Callas, they sound like they are literally singing right into your ears a few feet away. Overall, I think the SR1a is best suited for classical, jazz and acoustic music but it’s also great for epic soundtracks and ambient electronic that doesn’t try to push too much sub-bass. Honestly, rock, electronic, hip-hop, modern pop and metal do not seem well suited for the SR1a - at least to my ears.

• Audeze LCD-4: This headphone seems to occupy the opposite end of the sonic spectrum from the SR1a and I’m fine with it. At first, I was very unsure about this headphone but, as time went by, I came to love it and I’m definitely keeping it for the specific things it does very well. I got the LCD-4 thinking that it would be a lot like the LCDi4 which I really loved for years but that really wasn’t the case. It was more like a higher resolution version of the LCD-3 which I had for a short while and then returned. But with over 150 hours of burn-in time and a little bit of EQ (including the Reveal plug-in), the LCD-4 really came to life and became the highly resolving and punchy version of the warm, lush, smooth, rich and sweet type of sonic character.

This isn’t my personal preference for tonality and tactile response I seek in a headphone but it’s a very beguiling sound. If the SR1a reminds me of a Fender Strat or Tele (actually more like a synthetic Steinberger), the LCD-4 reminds me of the Gibson ES-335 semi-hollow body guitar. I may want to play the Strat more but the Gibson has its own magic. And, yes, the LCD-4 is heavy but, honestly, it has never bothered me. I can easily listen to it for 2 hours straight or even more without discomfort. It has its own sound and I guess either you love it or not like it at all. Well, I love it. It’s a headphone that has grown on me with each passing month.

• Audeze LCDi4: This is probably my most used headphone since I take it on long nature hikes almost every single day and it’s also the one on my bedside table to use for reading in bed and falling asleep to. To me, it has the most balanced tonality of all the headphones I have and have owned in the past. It sounds huge for an in-ear and also “open” and I guess that’s because it really is an open-back mini headphone. It has great bass for an in-ear but it’s not as big as it is on the LCD-3 and the LCD-4. The low-mids aren’t as forward either. The treble also doesn’t sound anything like it is on its much bigger over-ears cousins. The LCD-4 sounds like it has more high treble but the LCDi4 has more forward high-mids and low-treble, which is quite pleasing to my ears. In that respect, that region actually reminds me of the HD800 S.

Technically, it does not compare to the SR1a or the LCD-4 but it’s not far off. And when you consider the portability factor, it’s the one I will take with me everywhere and anywhere. Obviously, that’s just not possible with any TOTL over-ears that often need powerful headphone amps and even a power amp in the SR1a’s case. To me, the LCDi4 sounds best with its CIPHER Lightning cable with their own DAC that basically tunes it to their Reveal plug-in preset. Generally, I avoid using its included CIPHER Bluetooth module and cable. The sound degradation is significant. Overall, the LCDi4 is the headphone I’d keep if someone put a gun to my head and said I can only keep one - mainly because I can take world class sound anywhere so easily.

• JH Audio Layla custom IEM: I’ve had this for at least 5 years now along with the Sennheiser HD800 S. It has fallen off my top tier slightly after getting the LCDi4 but it’s still a superb sounding IEM. I primarily use it with the Chord Mojo in the car now for the commutes and, being that I live in SoCal, it’s extremely nice to have a small system like this when stuck in traffic. The sound isolation is excellent but I can still hear enough that it wouldn’t be a danger. The hard plastic casing isn’t all that comfortable - even with the custom molding - but it’s fine for an hour or two.

Recently, I replaced the stock cable with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon and, in this case, the improvement was rather dramatic. Now, in some respects, it outperforms the LCDi4. Overall, everything just sounds big with the Layla. The soundstage itself isn’t big; it’s the sound of each instrument in their respective positions that are wider and taller than I hear on the LCDi4. Clarity and detail are top class and the tonality is very well balanced with the mid-mids being slightly forward. Overall, it’s punchier than the LCDi4. It’s very versatile and great for almost anything but I’d say best suited for modern pop, rock and electronic genres. Well, after all, these are the IEMs used by the likes of Lady Gaga and many well-known pop stars.

• Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC (coming soon!): Well, I couldn’t hold back any longer. After getting the SR1a and absolutely loving it, I realized that I wanted the TC even more to fill this huge gulf in tonality, feel, vibe and character between the SR1a and the LCD-4. To use the electric guitar analogy again, if the SR1a is like a bright Strat or a Steinberger and the LCD-4 is like a warm ES-335, I decided I need a modern “superstrat” (think Ibanez Jem, Suhr Modern, maybe PRS Custom, etc.) - something in between that can do both ends fairly well but have something of its own that either side can’t touch either.

Will the TC be the fabled “endgame” as Abyss likes to market it? Honestly, I don’t think so. It may end up being my main “axe”, so to speak, but one alone can never do it all. I don’t expect it to do certain things as well as the SR1a or the LCD-4 either. I expect it to do its own thing better than both. I think it will be fantastic for rock, electronic/EDM, hip hop, modern pop, and metal (old and new) but also be pretty damn good at classical, jazz, acoustic, vocals, opera, country, etc. Essentially, I really want a headphone for high-energy music with a very powerful punchy and coherent bass while having insane clarity, imaging, detail, and staging. Well, my expectations are quite high and I must say I feel quite confident that the 1266 TC will meet them.

• Sennheiser Momentum TW: This has strictly been my gym in-ears and I haven’t used it in over a year now due to the pandemic. The LCDi4 is a much, much better choice for nature hikes. The MTW is fine for exercising and has good sound isolation. I know they have the MTW2 with noise canceling but I didn’t see the need to replace the first-generation MTW. It sounds really good for what it is. It’s a bit clunky to use but, for an hour or so per day at the gym, it’s no big issue. I got the Sony NC earbuds but the MTW sounded a lot better and I gave the Sony buds to my son, who still prefers using the AirPods over them.

• Sony WH-1000XM3: This was purchased strictly for business trips and use on long flights to Asia (or around the US) and for commutes in cars or subways during those trips. Obviously, this hasn’t been used in over a year either. The noise canceling feature is great and I use it more for that to sleep during the Trans-Pacific flights than listening to music. The sound is tolerable or, I should say, serviceable for its intended usage. I have no intention to upgrade to the XM4 but I may consider the AirPods Max when I can travel again. It would be nice to get something that sounds better. I read a lot of reviews about the AirPods Max and that it “sounds great” or “fantastic” and has “audiophile quality” but, obviously, they are comparing it to $200~300 headphones so I really have no idea what they mean when they throw around such superlatives.

• Sennheiser HD800 S: I actually had two of these so that my wife and I can listen at the same time using the original Hugo but I have now handed these off to my two teenage sons. I even got them $150 Audioengine portable desktop DACs so they can enjoy them properly but I don’t think they really appreciate what they have - yet… I can say I enjoyed the HD800 S immensely over the years but I’ve moved on. The soundstage is still its defining feature and it’s still gorgeous sounding for classical music but I’ve come to hear the various gaps in the tonal spectrum - mainly in the low-mids and across the entire bass range. The SR1a has pretty much replaced the HD800 S for me in the areas that it excelled.

• The Future… A lot will depend on how the TC fits in and if I feel like I’ll still “need” something else to broaden the sonic/tonal palette down the line. The headphone that intrigues me the most right now after the TC is the ZMF Vérité, open or closed. I’m thinking that if the TC fits in between the SR1a and the LCD-4 tonally, then the Vérité will sit somewhere in between the TC and the LCD-4. If that’s really the case, I’ll definitely be getting it eventually. Really hard to decide between open and close. They both sound and look so enticing.

Of course, another headphone that can’t be ignored is the Meze Empyrean but I can’t say my interest is all that high based on all of the reviews I’ve read and watched on YT. Some people absolutely love it while some are just “meh” about it and the reasons for the “meh” sound like what would make me say that as well. Overall, the Vérité just seems much more compelling.

I can’t really think of other headphones that have really intrigued me although I’m sure that will change as time goes by. I remember looking at the SR1a for the first time about a year ago and dismissing it purely based on how it looked. I remember thinking the same about the AB-1266 and now I’ll have both. A lot of it will depend on how the TC plays out. Perhaps I’ll love the Abyss “house sound” so much that I’ll want to add the Diana Phi or V2 for my outdoor excursions.

Whatever transpires, I expect to build a sizable collection over the years to come. I don’t expect to add anything else anytime soon after splurging on the SR1a and TC over the space of a few months. All I can say is that now seems to be the best time ever to be a music lover. My fascination with headphone listening started with the Sony Walkman back in 1980 or so. I had a big LP collection and spent countless hours recording them to cassettes so I can take the music with me everywhere.

After that, I got the now-classic AKG K-240 which I cherished for many years. Then I became a guitar fanatic so I got obsessed with collecting guitars, guitar amps, pedals, etc. and setting up mega guitar rigs. So headphones and audiophile thing became secondary and I sloshed through the years with various mainstream Sony, Bose, Klipsch, Shure, RSA, Etymonic, and lower-cost and midrange AKG and Sennheiser earbuds and headphones. Man, those were the years when I was constantly thinking, “there must be stuff that sounds better than this…”

Finally, I decided I’m tired of playing the same ole guitar licks over and over again and I don’t have the time or the energy to learn to play new things and get better at it. I’ve sold all the guitars (except for a decent nylon-string acoustic) and tons of other gear to help finance this expensive hobby. And here I am! I can confidently say that I like this side of the aisle better. :grin:

25 Likes

Hi and welcome @Orlok_Subodai. What an absolutely cracking first post. Such an enjoyable read. You have some fantastic gear and I am certain you will fit right in. Your passion really comes through in your writing.

5 Likes

You’ve got a wonderful collection there!

Thanks for your post, I very much enjoyed reading your impressions. While I have more modest gear, I share your interest in having different headphones for different purposes, and I likewise favor having a headphone that prioritizes soundstage, technicalities, and a neutral-bright signature for classical music, jazz, and music performed with acoustic instruments (in my case, the HD 800 SDR). I also like having an all-rounder, one that works well for high-energy music with decent bass and good technicalities, as you put it (for me, the Clear). And I like a darker, more forgiving and less fatiguing headphone that works well for rock music (the LCD2-Classic).

In a fantasy future, I’d love to upgrade from the HD 800 SDR to the SR1a and from my Audeze to a ZMF Vérité. Maybe I’ll have to daydream about replacing the Clear with an Abyss AB-1266 Phi TC! You’re a bad influence!

I’d highly recommend that you check out the Vérité. It’s one of those rare headphones that I found immediately beguiling and it might well suit your preferences.

You’ve now stoked an interest in the LDDi4!

Welcome to the forum!

6 Likes

Thank you for the welcome and happy to be here. Glad you enjoyed my introductory post. I do like to write about things I have interest in and music and gear are certainly at the top of my list! I do like the cozy feel of this community more than some of these other massive forums I’ve seen. I’ve learned a lot here and hope to contribute myself.

I was guitar tone connoisseur for many years and still am since I run a guitar company. I used to own a small boutique guitar gear store selling custom guitars ranging anywhere from $2K to $8K and tube amplifiers ranging from $1K to over $5K as well as all kinds of effects pedals, rack mount digital processors, pickups, cables and other accessories so my ears are certainly tuned to appreciate good sound.

That being said, guitar players have a totally different mindset from audiophile listeners since they are about creating certain sounds they hear in their heads and feel in their hearts. Very often, they are really not interested in high fidelity. The true tone connoisseurs consider that to be sterile and lifeless and have almost a phobic aversion to solid state amplifiers or anything digital. They intentionally go after an organic, woody, tube-y and decidedly lo-fi sound. After all, guitar players love the output tubes in an amp being overdriven or outright distorted. Preamp tube distortion is sneered at. In some ways, it’s almost an antithesis of what hi-fi listeners are pursuing.

Still, the ultimate goal is the same - produce a pleasing sound that is great to listen to and I’m sure all you rocker fans can relate with all this great hifi gear. You want to hear great sounds and the electric guitar sounds ranging from the likes of Clapton, Hendrix, Beck, Gilmour and Page to Van Halen, Angus Young, Metallica, Tom Morello and Allan Holdsworth are all as distinctive as the voices of great singers.

I have to admit that I’m still in the search for the “perfect” cans for rock music and guitar tones in particular. As mentioned earlier, I don’t think the SR1a does it for overdriven or distorted guitar sounds. It literally feels like you have your ears right against the guitar amp’s speakers and that can be rather painful! But, it should be noted that guitar sounds are recorded typically with the Shure SM-57 dynamic mic placed inches away from the cone of the guitar amp speaker at a certain angle so the SR1a is simply producing exactly how the sounds were recorded with the utmost detail.

So, to me, the SR1a perhaps provides a little too much detail for that kind of sound. I should experiment with the EQ a bit more but doing so would probably end up being somewhat of a compromise for acoustic instruments and/or vocals. With the LCD-4, I find that I have to “draw” an EQ curve that’s inverse of what I’d have for the SR1a when it comes to rock guitar sounds. With the EQ flat, I find that the guitars sound a little too smooth and a bit tubby in the mids when there should be more bite and cut.

When you think about it, blues from the 20’s and 30’s, early 50’s rock-and-roll or even 60’s rock weren’t recorded with today’s ultra high fidelity in mind. Today’s music is recorded in super controlled environments with all sorts of outboard processing gear and million-dollar mixing consoles and in digital, of course. So I’m starting to think that modern hi-fi equipment from streamers, DACs and pre/power amps to speakers and headphones maybe are a little too much for what were decidedly lo-fi music productions. Modern gear exposes all the lo-fi artifacts that no one back then really cared about or even knew existed.

I guess that’s why there’s a fairly large hi-fi contingent that swears by vinyl, analog and tube gear. I totally get it. Ultimate high resolution and insane amounts of analytical detail are probably not what you’d hear at a live performance or even in the studio rooms. Sometimes, as I listen to certain things through my setup and the SR1a, I think, “Geez, this sounds better than real.” It’s like you are hearing the entire production which would include all the studio enhancements and all the details of mic placement (source as well as room), mixing, EQ, dynamics control like compression and limiting, time delay effects like reverb and echo/delay/chorus/flange, pitch correction, etc. There are tons of things going on in a modern recording with even a simple performance of a singer and one acoustic guitar.

Anyway, I’m veering off slightly here and I’ll get back to why I’m looking for something different for rock (especially for vintage 60’s to 70’s kinds of stuff), blues, old jazz, and whatever else I consider to have “lo-fi production” origins. I guess these kinds of genres and musical styles need some earthiness, grit and “dirt” that complement the resolution, detail and clarity we now have in spades in today’s hi-fi equipment. Guitar players would call those things “soul”, “feel”, “character”, “vibe” and other intangibles that cannot be measured with tools or machines. Really, what is it that makes a single vibrato note from B.B. King send shivers down your spine?

I will see how the 1266 TC does but I already expect that, like the SR1a, it will also provide too much detail for certain kinds of music and recordings. I think it’s why I’m already considering the ZMF Vérité. This strikes me as a “rock” headphone while retaining all the desirable hi-fi attributes like resolution, clarity, imaging, and soundstage. There’s a part of me that loves electronic, trip hop and modern pop from the likes of Orbital, Aphex Twin, Autechre, Portishead and Squarepusher to Armin van Buuren, Massive Attack, St. Vincent, Grimes, Lady Gaga, etc. and I am absolutely certain the 1266 TC will be perfect for this kind of stuff. It will be interesting to hear how TC fares with rock, metal and roots-oriented music. I do have a pretty good idea on how I want the guitars to sound.

Getting back to the point, I think all these different headphones and gear exist because there are so many musical styles and tastes as well as the fact that people hear things differently. What I learned over the years from guitar players and musicians, in general, is whatever works for you. I read an article in a recording trades magazine about Peter Gabriel’s $10 million home studio and in midst of all the megabucks high-tech recording gear, he had an old BOSS analog chorus pedal that would cost around $80 and he had it in the signal chain before all the fancy synths. He said it just had “something” that added to his overall sound. It’s an inexplicable thing but that’s what musicians do and I’ve come to think that applies to audiophile gear as well. The highest priced gear isn’t the “best” and there will always be tradeoffs. It’s about weighing the tradeoffs to find what works the best for you.

I used to think that the audiophile world would be different from the music creation and production world but now I see that’s not the case at all. It’s kind of the same in that listeners hear things as differently as musicians do. Well, that’s what makes this hobby interesting and even fascinating. It also means there is no such thing as “endgame” as our tastes and even how we hear things will change and evolve over time. Again, the journey itself is the destination. It’s more about choosing the road one chooses to travel and I expect to enjoy the sights!

6 Likes

Hey, thanks for the feedback! Glad you enjoyed my impressions. Until this post, I never actually sat down and analyzed each headphone in my mind although they naturally gravitated towards specific things and I came to realize I wanted more!

I do agree that different headphones serve different purposes and that one simply cannot do it all. But, as I’ve mentioned, it’s what makes this very interesting. Delving into the audiophile world, it was sort of a revelation to me that even listening can be as varied as playing the guitar and making music. It gave me a different perspective about the music and sound creation/production process as well.

It seems you and I have very similar tastes! As I just posted on my reply to prfallon69, I now find that I’m honing in on certain sounds of certain genres. Classical, jazz, acoustic and vocal music realm is one thing but modern electronic/EDM/pop is totally another as is rock/blues/metal and electric guitars in particular. So many sounds and so many styles but not enough money! :smile:

Yes, as I mentioned, the Vérité strikes me as an earthy “classic rocker”. I’m already thinking Allman Brothers, SRV, Derek Trucks, Zeppelin, Eagles, Trower… Heck, even Kiss from the ‘Alive!’ and ‘Destroyer’ days! And that probably means I’ll want the Pendant amp to go with it in the same way I’m wondering if I’ll “need” to get the Xi Audio Formula S and Powerman for the 1266 TC. :roll_eyes: Ugh, it never stops! Haha. So much bad influence all around in forums like these. We are all like drug pushers trying to get each other the next great high. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I have no doubt I’ll get the Vérité eventually. I hope to check it out someday somewhere first before committing. Deciding between the VO and VC will be tough. They both seem to have certain qualities I really want although open back and some airiness is what I would instinctively gravitate towards. But the closed, in this case, seems it has the snap and the punch I would want for rock and guitar sounds. Well, I guess I’ll get there eventually. First things first.

If you like to take nature hikes and enjoy the outdoors a lot, the LCDi4 really is the perfect companion. I’d say you can get anywhere from 90 to 95% of the qualities of the TOTL over-ears cans connected to high-end DAC and headphone amp with superb portability and featherweight comfort. It works like normal open back cans so there is no sound isolation but I find that to be an advantage than a drawback as it provides the spacious open sound and doesn’t have that in-your-skull kind of thing happening as in most in-ears. Sometimes I’d be walking along a quiet isolated trail and I’d hear some rustling sound or voices to the side of or even behind me so I’d turn my head to see what or who it is and then I find it’s within the recording! It is that open sounding.

Thanks again for the welcome and the reply!

5 Likes

I haven’t heard any of those you’ve got, but I do have Empyreans, Abyss Diana V2, Focal Utopia, and ZMF Verite Opens. I’ll likely sell the Empyreans as they’re just a bit too murky sounding for me, and Diana V2, because while it’s a great sound for all the specific elements in the music, at least for me, it does not bring them together as one coherent piece of music quite so well. The ones that do are the dynamic ones, the Utopia and the VO’s, and those are both keepers. They remind me of my Harbeth speakers - plenty of detail if you want it, but a really great presentation of the overall sound if you want to listen in a less analytical way. I run all these through a Quicksilver Tube Headphone Amp; it and the Utopia could have been designed for each other. And this setup ROCKS - classic rock, metal, punk, post-punk, all kinds of stuff like that is what I listen to. And reggae… Great listening room you’ve got there!!!

3 Likes

Just three headphones for me. There’s a Stax setup of 009S powered by a Grounded Grid energiser design.
Also using a Manley headamp for Focal Stellias as a closed back and Sennheiser hd800S as a contrast. The amp has switchable single ended and xlr sockets for easy switching.

7 Likes

Better less but good than a bunch of casual purchases. Great choices.

In order of purchase:

Sennheiser HD600 and Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro (not sure which was first).
To me, the sound of the two was different, but of equal quality. Preferred the 600 for music (wide variety), and the 990 for games/movies. I knew there were better headphones out there, but nothing at a price that I would ever pay for headphones. lol.
Sennheiser pads worn to hell, decided to get a 58x. To me, it’s an ever so slightly inferior 600. Not enough that I would cry over having a 58x instead of a 600 though. Got a PC37x for a headset, it’s fine.

Then the Focal Elegia went on sale for $700. Still far too much for a headphone. Then it was available for $400. Fine, you only live once… Not going to review it here in this post, but OMG. Shock and awe. Build quality, comfort, looks, etc. all better than the headphones above. But more importantly, the audio quality was superior in almost every possible way for me. Significantly. Hook, line, sinker.

Focal Clear Pro’s. (Prefer the colorway over the regulars, and wanted the extra overpriced pads vs the extra worthless Focal cables.) Amazingly enough, these are as much as an improvement over the Elegia as the Elegia was over my previous cans. I can step down from the Clears to the Elegia and still be happy (don’t want to, but can), while anything less than the Elegia’s is now unacceptable to me. lol. Well, honestly, the HD 600’s are still fine, very good even, but I oh so notice how much is lacking in them as opposed to the Focals. I feel the Clear price is too high, but worth it I guess if audio quality is extremely important to you (which for me, it is).

Found a Focal Radiance on sale for 1000 (distressed packaging, shipping package was slightly damaged, actual Radiance package was perfectly fine, woo hoo). Love them almost as much as the Clears.

Currently switch back and forth between the Clears and the Radiance for slightly different comfort and sound feels. And of course the Radiance’s for appropriate noise control times.

7 Likes

I have to say that I’m very intrigued by the ZMF Vérité - open or closed but leaning towards closed based on what I’m reading about them and because I think it’ll be more complementary to what I already have without redundancy. I was interested in the Empyrean as well but I’ve seen too many comments about it like yours that it’s kind of fallen off my radar now.

For some reason, I just haven’t been able to develop an interest in Focal headphones although I read rave reviews and hear great things about them all the time. I’m sure they sound great but, for whatever reason, I’ve always been more intrigued by others that I have now and/or still want to get. I’d love to try them in person.

I actually had extensive time with a friend’s Susvara when he left it with me when he had to go abroad for a while. Obviously, it’s a great headphone and I seriously considered buying one but I opted for the SR1a and the TC instead. It was going to be two of the three - certainly not all three - and the Susvara got edged out in the end. I wanted a clear delineation between the two I’d go with and for them to complement the LCD-4.

I almost looked at it like building a “team” or a “roster” with each “player” playing a specific role. I didn’t want two that were similar. And I could not ignore the Susvara’s price. Considering I already had the TToby, which I used sparingly for the occasional speaker listening, the SR1a made way more financial sense and I could also get more out of my investment in the TToby.

It’s like the team has a salary cap and the Susvara was simply too expensive for what it offered. Hey, if my team was the NY Yankees or the LA Dodgers, no problem! But my budget is more like that of the Cubs or the Astros, I guess. :wink:

4 Likes

Hi Orlok! I’m a 49ers fan - I know from salary caps!

Here’s a few things to consider about ZMF - they’re probably the most beautiful headphones you’ll ever see - nobody will ever accuse the SR1a of that! Since they are in such demand with waiting time of months, if you got a pair and wanted to re-sell them, you’d have takers immediately (as long as they’re in good shape) and you wouldn’t lose a cent. There’s a lot of love out there for both the VO’s and VC’s.

I know what you mean about sometimes just not being interested in a particular brand for no apparent reason.

Did you ever consider the Abyss 1266 Phi? Those look really intriguing to me, but I got the Diana V2’s and really wanted to love them because I really like the Abyss sense of style and I know they are top grade cans, but the Dianas just didn’t bring the music together coherently - lots of trees is good, but it’s important to be able to see the forest as a whole, and that’s what Utopia and ZMF are so good at. Again, I don’t know if that has anything to do with them being dynamic, but put ‘em through an excellent tube amp like this….

Quicksilver Amp.jpeg

And for me, it’s musical heaven and with the right recordings, you can just wallow in this amazing 3D sound!!

Let me know what you come up with! Good hunting!! Cheers!! Lars…

1 Like