What headphones do you have in your collection and why?

So I’m a bit of a nut with headphones, I have some for many occasions and some for very specific occasions. I think at this point, it might be more of a headphone collection given how many of these headphones, I use for the same occasion but I like to cycle my headphones around.

Fostex TH-900 (mk1): Music overall but especially EDM! These headphones have the best bass quality that I’ve ever heard in a headphone. They’re all around terrific headphones that I can use for anything! They’re great for gaming, movies, TV, you name it! I would use them all the time if I wasn’t paranoid about them breaking/wearing out especially since I’ve read the mk2 version doesn’t sound as good.
Clear: Music and just a wonderful pair of cans.
Sony Z1R: These are such an odd headphone for me, I really only use them for specific music genres like acoustic and classical music.
HiFiMan HE-6SE v2: Music and Gaming but the weight can be fatiguing.
Elegia: These are my current work headphones.
Radiance: I use these in my bedroom when I want to watch a TV Show or Movie
Stellia: These are my movie headphones but I can really use them for anything.
B&O H6: I use these when I’m traveling.
HD58X, HD598, HD599, X2, SRH1540: I use these around the house when I want to listen to YouTube/Podcasts while on the go or doing house work. If my wife asks to borrow a pair of headphones, I usually give her one of these.
PC-38X: I use these mainly for phone calls around the house.
HD700 / DT-880 (600 ohm): PC Gaming!
HD800S: TV or Anime.
Klipsch HP-3: TV or Anime for when I get tired of the HD800S.

7 Likes

Pretty new to this world but I suppose it was always inside of me;

Sony MDR-V6 paired with a Panasonic Shock Wave CD player
My old man took me to a Circuit City for my birthday and said “choose your gift”. This pair was my first dive into better than average sound. Lugging around batteries was a bitch though. Kind of wish I still had this pair. First love.

B&W P7
This was a birthday gift to myself to pair with my iPod classic 160GB. When I first heard the warm lows, I felt that musical nirvana was achieved. They were stylish as hell too. Coming back to them now, I find them very hard to listen to. A classical “V” shape headphone but comfortable and a decent sound isolation. The damn metal rod snapped a couple years ago. Beautiful design but flimsy build.

During the pandemic, I stumbled upon a reviewer on YT talking about the DT1990 Pro and that this was the best $500 headphone out there. I haven’t upgraded my gear in such a long time, I decided to come into the 2020’s

BD DT-1990 PRO
It looks sexy…that’s it.
I’m kidding. Every pair of cans has ears to go onto, I can’t bring to sell them because I do enjoy the bass response but they thirst for EQ. My wife hijacked them for gaming mostly. I will say that they are extremely comfy for long periods of time, also, they were my first step into a larger world…so, sentiment?

HIFIMAN Sundara
The YT rabbit hole went deeper and I stumbled upon Resolve and Metal and I’ve never been more fascinated with the hobby after a few hours with them. I learned about planar magnetic headphones and the Sundara came highly recommended( at $350, a fairly safe gamble). After a review for the A&K SR25, I pulled the trigger on both. Holy shit, this blew me away but there was only so much power the DAP could produce. I picked up a Magni/Modi 3+ stack. (I live about 10 min away from the Schiiter) and yeah…heaven.

Moondrop Starfield
The SR25 needed something it could drive without any problems, once again Resolve came through with a recommendation that seemed safe to try. This combo made my hikes a lot better. This IEM/DAP combo did for me what the MDR-V6/Shock Wave did for me decades ago. I felt like I was hearing stuff for the first time all over again.

Audeze LCD-XC (Carbon)
My first “big boy” purchase last week. A bit of EQ and I’m blown away all over again. I feel like the Modi/Magni aren’t enough though, so I ordered the Magnius/Modius stack and can’t wait to fool around a bit with them. I know that there are better options for just a little bit more money but I’m curious and don’t mind taking baby steps to find myself, so to speak.

Thieaudio Monarch
Coming tomorrow!!! Super excited and hope that it will “endgame” my portable situation. If anyone paired it with the SR25, I’d love to hear feedback from you.

Oh, I forgot. Around 2009 I did headshots for an IT company that represented Monster Cable. They had boxes of Beats Studio Pro and I happily accepted the free gift. To be honest, I rocked those for a solid couple of years but the B&W P7 reduced them to paperweights…sexy(2009 sexy), heavy paperweights.

10 Likes

!

Put my daughter to show how big they are but super comfortable. These are like 1266 of stats. It doesn’t have has much bass impact but you have other qualities of that headphone. It’s not same tuning. Negative is balance issue but having Stax amp solves it. Wish I had BHSE still too compare. For 1200 bucks this beats Voce and can give Stax a run for the money.

These are Rock from Perun out of Russia a DIY made of wood and Lambskin

8 Likes

Sennheiser HD650 - Heard these at a head-fi meet in maybe 2013 and fell in love. Bought some HD600’s for a very good price, and while I liked them, they weren’t exactly what I wanted. Found a nearly new pair of 650’s for sale for an insane price and bought em, but distinctly didn’t like how they sounded. (2014 manufactured revision). I sold those and found the guy whose pair I’d heard at the meet initially, his were from pre-2012. Later on, he ended up selling them and I bought them around 2015. Have had this pair ever since.

Audeze LCD-2F - tried these at a meet and fell in love. That planar bass was intoxicating. Got money for a pair mid last year and snagged em. Due to comfort and the need to EQ, they didn’t get much use until a month ago when I updated the headband and applied Oratory1990’s EQ. Now I listen to them most every day.

DCA Aeon 2 Noire - after one of the previously mentioned meets, which happened to be on my 21st birthday, some of the regulars wanted to get dinner to celebrate. So these regulars and Dan Clark himself, who had been showing off the Ether 1’s, went to a steakhouse with me to celebrate. Had great conversations with him about audio during the day and dinner and really respected his design philosophy. Found out about the Noire’s recently when looking for a semi portable close back, and fell in love with the look. Had to buy em.

6 Likes

Great collection and great choices.

1 Like