What music have you been listening to this past week?

No, I haven’t been listening to Spotify, was just trying to find a decent link. I have the CD. It’s in Tidal’s database, but not available to play.

This is well worth a listen. Jazz with a world India flavor. Not an overpowering flavor, but just enough to make it tasty.

George Brooks (saxophone) is playing smooth, slightly funky world jazz with Zakir Hussain, the master Tabla percussionist, Fareed Haque on guitars and electric sitar. Kai Eckhardt on bass, and Steve Smith doing a very understated western jazz drum. Note that Steve is also very influenced by classical Indian music, so while it’s the usual Sonor set, the rhythms flow from west to east. Also bits of Piano and a few other instruments here and there.

This was recorded in 2002, and stylistically it sounds it. Not overproduced. I confess I’m listening on my Sonos Play:3s and Sonos Sub, and not headphones. But I can tell that this would be enjoyable on phones as well. At least ones that reproduce reasonable bass.

3 Likes

Thanks diverse for actually providing a legit source for this song.
I have the CDs which I purchased during M3, so if you are interested in the album. Please buy it.

Japanese music are something that has been always interested me, mostly because I feel like their works provide a really unique tunes comparing to other places for me.

With every song, every album especially since
Freyquitous first appearance, I have been hooking for him since. His music is refreshing, but sometimes has a lot of complexity into it and most of all, there aren’t a lot of artist that can provide this complexity while having a really Mysterious, Elegant, yet can get really fun and calm music style as him.

This song specially, reflects all of the usual elegant style of Freyquitous, and combining with Aitsuki Nakiru vocals? Oh boy that just like adding more depth to his style. Her voice, no doubt just suit Freyquitous style, providing him to be more crazy and out of the way with his work. There is a lot going on with the instument in this song than it seems, sometimes over bearing. But that is what I like, these instuments just clashing together yet the vocal still shine through. I cannot be bored at this song, this song and this album itself, has been one of the best so far in my book from him since it’s release. And I am hooked waiting for the next work from them.

There will be more I want to introduce but for this week. This will do.

1 Like

I’ve been groovin’ with my new Elegias, here’s something smooth for u all…

Enjoy :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

It’s been “a week” …

Which is not a good sign, being that it’s only Tuesday …

So … a little stout, a little more whiskey … and a good, rousing, sing-a-long is in order:

RoonShareImage-637079717528868960

“The Irish Rover” seems to be favorite so far … but the night is young, only the first barrels have been tapped, and no one is upside down behind the bar … yet.

6 Likes

Some performances make everyone Irish.

Well the tonal theme, and style is decidedly Irish this evening … even if these magnificent, raucous, buggers aren’t:

RoonShareImage-637079735293690090

“I’m Shipping Up to Boston” … barrel two tapped (of the stout, anyway) … and … see you on the other side …

2 Likes

“I’m shipping up to Boston” is one of my favorites! Now I need to go add this to my collection! As I only have it in mp3 format.

1 Like

Well I listened to your Dropkick Murphys on Tidal, and The Kids Were Alright. Was not really in the mood for the betrayed military vitriol, tonight I prefer more basic rage. I found that on their earlier album Mob Mentality, where they trade songs with London’s The Business. I particular I enjoyed both groups 70s covers, Borstal Boys (The Faces) and The Kids Were Alright (Who).

What was interesting is that my usual bedside listening chain - Tidal to xDSD to Lyr3 to Sennheiser HD6xx mucked up both the Boston crew and London punk rockers with an overlay of German headphone. Switching to something made closer to the Ramone’s home town, I found that the Grado RS1e’s were just the ticket. Plenty of bass on the headphones, but soundstage was wider and the angst in the lyrics was palpable.

Yeah - it might be counter-intuitive, but there it is.

3 Likes

OOF, this song is perfect for gloomy, rainy afternoons. Shes got such a calming voice

For those who dont know who “Sunday Moon” is, they are a duo led by Sarah Lee and backed by instrumentalist Cozy.

2 Likes

Well, despite normally being an acoustic music kind of guy (Jazz, Classical, Americana, etc.), which fits in well with my newfound pursuit of headphone excellence, I’ve taken a left turn into Ambient/Neoclassical with a shake of TripHop/EDM lately. Listening to a great playlist/panorama from Qobuz:

https://open.qobuz.com/focus/89049

Also checking out some Eno ambient classics, and some granddaddies of the neoclassical/minimalist movement in Phillip Glass, Steve Reich, and Terry Riley.

Interestingly, it is my recent foray into the world of headphone listening and collecting which is inspiring me to branch out and experience this new (to me) music.

7 Likes

This is what happened to me. My tastes in music broadened dramatically once I got into headphones. I think this is quite a common occurrence in this hobby. You obviously want to give your headphones a good test and see what they can do. What better way than to broaden your musical horizon too.

I love Acoustic music but now listen to most genres apart from bass heavy stuff and metal. I’ve never really liked metal, but then again I haven’t really invested any time to look into it.

6 Likes

Spent many hours with Eno as background to work. Later, The Orb. Passed through Philip Glass after Hindemith, when I saw the Chronos Quartet. Eventually Glass made me sick of arpeggios.

3 Likes

Sitting on the deck, overlooking Elliot Bay … the mid-Autumn sun horizon-bound, a sumptuous-but-reasonable fermentation at hand, feet-up, with the Astell&Kern SP2000 Cu feeding Loreena McKennitt’s latest release to the MySphere 3.2

RoonShareImage-637083059541408030

I just know as the lush, liquid, libation flows, this is going to progress from Loreena and “The Star of the County Down” and will wind up heading back to the Pogues and “The Irish Rover” and some spirited singing … (again) …

I just have to wonder if Rosie knows Mick …

What's that about?

If you know these songs well, and are paying attention, there is an interesting collision with them …

From “Irish Rover”:

And your man, Mick McCann from the banks of the Bann

And from “The Star of the County Down”:

Young Rosie McCann from the banks of the Bann

4 Likes

3 Likes

I like that glassware! shifty eyes “where you get dat from!”

I found it at a glass festival in northern Japan (Otaru), was the only one like it (hand etched I think). Filled with shochu in this case.

3 Likes

Love unique glassware like that! Very cool!

My favorite whiskey drinking glassware is usually Japanese pottery glassware =)

2 Likes

Alex G’s Remember Demo

Women - Eyesore Such a solid song and album. Very strong Velvet Underground influence in my opinion.

2 Likes

I’ve been enjoying the new Jim James & Teddy Abrams collaboration with the Louisville Orchestra.

3 Likes