What’s in the box **Tubed Edition**

May I ask the what (and why) you doubled up like that?

It looks like a Frankenenvy! :grinning:

1 Like

Those look beautiful! Brimar 6J5G are one of my favorite sounding tubes. Quite the ensemble you’ve got running a quad of them! The Brimar 6C5G and 6J5GT are also nice tubes sounding fairly similar.

1 Like

The technical why….
So the normal 6SN7 driver tube in the Envy is a dual-triode.
These 6J5G are a single triode…equivalent of half of an 6SN7.
So you need a matched quad to replace a matched pair.

The why would I do it….
:person_shrugging:
Tube rolling/experimentation mania? :white_check_mark:
Somebody jumped off this cliff …so I had to too? :white_check_mark:

9 Likes

NOS 6SN7’s are rumored to be running out, so this is a really good idea if 6J5G’s are plentiful.

Where did you get the 2-for-1 adaptor?

3 Likes

I think they are more plentiful than 6SN7’s. In this case, needing a matched quad makes it a bit more difficult and just about as expensive as good of NOS 6SN7’s. Pairs would definitely be easier to find.

Here’s the adapter…

2 Likes

I usually don’t splurge on tubes, but when I do, I go all the way.

12 Likes

If you can fit them, the Grant Fidelity 6ns7 treasure globes are definitely worth a look. I freaking love them, the issue is that since they’re round, not every amp has the lateral clearance to fit 2 of them

1 Like

Haven’t seen that before. What is it?

Yeah it’s the Telefunken G73-R. My understanding is that it’s like a non commercial, spec’d up version of the ECC802, with thick black coating.

The way people talk about it, it’s a cut above every other 12AU7/ECC82 variant out there, and pretty darn hard to find. Having heard this one all day yesterday, compared with my ECC82 smooth plate, I’m inclined to agree. It brings a smoothness, blackness of background, and resolution I haven’t ever heard from my Pendant SE before.

6 Likes

They’re kinda in a box.

I’ve been in a bit of a tube frenzy since getting the Folkvangr and Envy….

…and of course I need to buy more stuff to keep my stuff in. (RIP George) can’t just be in a box :person_shrugging:

Rifle case storage idea courtesy of a cool guy at head-fi. Works well :+1: but it is HUGE!! and heavy

Went from having a handful of tubes with the Crack. To, I probably don’t need anymore tubes…ever.

Top ones are for FV. Bottom case is for Envy.

14 Likes

This is very impressive and also why I will never be a true tube amp fanatic lol
Rolling like that is really not for me

Perhaps you should look at my namesake.

5 Likes

Supratek Cabernet Dual has arrived

15 Likes

2x NOS RCA 2A3 black plates. Not sure what year, there were no measurements included, and the boxes are different, so I’m reaching out to the vendor to find out more details on what exactly these are (if they know). I feel like there should always be measurements included when you’re paying NOS prices. Judging by the boxes at least one of these is old enough for the cardboard to start to crumble, I’m thinking 1940s?

Still, I’m excited to hear Stellaris with NOS RCA x3 in action. I don’t have a HUGE frame of reference, but on first listen these sound SPECTACULAR compared to the new production base psvanes that came with the amp.

11 Likes

Good luck on getting measurements, next time you should consider buying from Brent Jesse at Audiophile Tube Price List

He provides matched pairs with measurements on every box.

3 Likes

He also requires you to FAX an order form or some such nonsense that I can’t decipher.

Yeah, no. Because it’s not 1985 and I don’t have a fax.

That said, I have always felt like a vendor with an actual .com storefront has more to lose and therefore more reason to be on the up-and-up, so if tubedepot doesn’t respond acceptably to my inquiry I will very possibly return them and look elsewhere. I’m still new-ish to this, it’s possible my assumptions are wrong. :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

Say what? I have always called in, or sent him an email with my order. Then send the amount via PayPal.

He guarantees his tubes, I had to send back a pair of 2A3 spring tops of which one blew on me. His website is less than desirable for sure, in this case it is best to not judge a book by its cover. Obviously you go with what you value, I am an unknown trouble maker on the internet with little credibility.

6 Likes

It’s more work than it should be to order from Brent Jessee, but not too difficult, and you don’t need to send a fax.

Before you make the order, he wants you to calculate the total cost yourself, based on the prices he’s listed. Then click on the Paypal link on this page, list the tubes that you want, and enter the total amount that you calculated.

He has a great reputation, offers advice freely if you’re not sure what you want and as @Roark said, has a good return policy.

But there are other reputable tube sellers too, tubedepot among them.

3 Likes

I am very aware of his site, but was put off by how unintelligible the ordering process is. But again, THAT SAID, if I don’t get satisfactory answers from my vendor I may well return the tubes and order from Brent instead. The tubes I received sound great TODAY. But with no measurements and no provenance, I’m not even 70% confident I can rely on them to not die out a year from now.

Fwiw, in this era of high value NOS tubes it would really behoove him to get a modern storefront webpage. I’m not even a millenial, as a Gen X’er his storefront seems antiquated and puts me off.

2 Likes

Just wanted to chime in for Brent. I have gotten a couple of rare NOS tubes from him. His site is not the most easy to navigate but Ctrl+F is your friend if you know what you’re looking for so it wasn’t too hard to navigate. Then I just emailed him a list with some questions, he was super nice and explained what he had and what would work well in my amp and gave me a PayPal link for payment and pretty fast shipping.

I think the problem is that he has too many tubes and it’s probably a one man shop so it’s hard to keep up with cataloging with all the measuring and labeling of these NOS tubes.

5 Likes