What's in the box!

One of my last purchases for a while. With this, it’s like finding another level of the Nautilus, these two units took the sound up a couple notches. More detail, sound stage, brings out more of the music. Hard to explain without listening to it and what it brings.

13 Likes

Were you able to A/B to confirm these differences?

What are these? Power plant? Conditioner?

1 Like

Not sure what the “A/B”. Just from listening earlier before I had some errands, listened again before unpacking, then listened after putting it together. It’s quieter when it’s suppose to be, several differences that are noticeable in a positive direction. I’m no expert but I could hear just a cleaner sound that what it was before, I could hear more details in the music I can enjoy, so my 2 cents, I call it positive.

2 Likes

Deep core remove DC, emi and rfi. The equi core is a conditioner suggested from Justin for the Nautilus The new EQUI=CORE 1000 is a 8.5 amp, 1000 watt, balanced line conditioner. It comes standard with 3 Hubbell style duplex outlets.

3 Likes

Listening with (A)
Listening without (B)
Rinse
Repeat

Not a proper double blind A/B test, it is still a parameter to gauge the differences. In this case you casually listened before inserting, then again after inserting in the chain.

Does your source also run through this? What is your source?

EDIT: Does it improve the noise floor and other random noises too?

2 Likes

Apparently this is endorsed by @Resolve. Scroll down to the “Musings” section.

6 Likes

Thanks for the link, some points to counter from the article

“ What I mean by that is you still have to deal with interference issues should your setup be near any kind of wi-fi signal or other RFI intrusions.”
I’ve not had any of these issues outside of the Mogwai I borrowed for a week.

“My experience with this has led to several ways to remedy the issue, and I think anyone considering a high end tube amp should also consider ways to minimize noise floor. There are a number of ways to do this, but I’ll discuss the ones that worked for me. Just keep in mind that your environment may be different, so it may not work exactly the way it worked for me.”

Easy solution, buy a tube amp that is not problematic with noise.

No shade thrown at you @PaisleyUnderground you know where I stand on noisy tube amps above $1k.

2 Likes

It was never meant to be a proper test. I’ve used my amps either directly plugged into the wall or a cheap surge protector. This was meant to give the best, clean power source to my amp and dac. Take as much noise out. To me, it does sound cleaner but my opinion.

3 Likes

I didn’t say it was, you implied you didn’t understand what I meant by “A/B” hence the simple explanation, nothing more, nothing less.

That is all that matters, was only asking how you were able to determine all the superlatives you used in your initial post.
Nothing more, nothing less…

3 Likes

Is that an Yggy? Can’t place it, obviously Schiit!

It could be a complete placebo effect where there is no difference. If there was a gathering in the Pacific Northwest, id pack up well over 100lbs of gear to share and get other people’s thoughts also. I’ve shared with earmuffs prior to the power conditioner. If I wanted dead silent, I would have stayed with Auris audio but A&S to me sounds better.

2 Likes

I actually first received these headphones last Tuesday and promptly broke the connecting pins in the mini-XLR connectors. One panicked call later to a very chill Zach and I sent them back and received them repaired in no time flat.

This Aeolus is the first ZMF I’ve purchased, and after only a little bit of time playing with it, I get the love this brand gets. The combination of detail and slam, all in a velvet setting, is a beautiful thing.

I’ll dive in deeper - my problem (if you really want to call it a problem) is that I have purchased and now have, one on top of the other in short order: (a) a Chord Hugo TT2; (b) an ampsandsound Kenzie Ovation (with 5 taps from low/8/32/100/high); and (c) these Aeolus headphones, to go with my Focal Clear MGs. Too many variables to be able to figure out right away what goes best with what at what settings and for what types of music. That’s where the fun starts.

29 Likes

Hold up, where’s the livestream?! :joy:

Anyway, congrats and enjoy! I didn’t like mine in the beginning…now I love it.

3 Likes

I have no idea whatsoever whether an SPL Phonitor sounds great/good/bad/horrible. But the appearance of this unit is one of the joys of audio–the design of that faceplate & all features therein just destroys me.

In the mid-'70s I worked in one of the largest sound consulting houses in the world–Bolt, Beranek & Newman. They did things like figure out how to reduce the sound coming off helicopter rotors. Anyway, all the field consultants there carried gorgeous/hyper-expensive Nagra tape recorders. The SPL Phonitor reminds me a lot of that classic Nagra look.

8 Likes

16 Likes

Amazon: Pre-order now and it will arrive by Thurs, June 17!..

Headphones.com: Buy now w/ free overnight shipping…

Thanks to the headphones.com team for such fast shipping (ordered it yesterday)! :facepunch:

19 Likes

Interested in your thoughts once you have some time with these.

3 Likes

You bet, I got you! :+1:

1 Like

Hey you did it:

congratulations :clap:

have fun with it :+1:

3 Likes