What's in the box!

I was supposed to get a package delivered today. DHL laboriously exceeded expectations and dropped this on my doorstep on Monday.

29 Likes

How are you liking it initially?

2 Likes

It’s an absolute winner and keeper for me, sonically and build quality wise. Your comparison review rang true.

6 Likes

How long did it take from when you ordered it?

7 weeks. Looking forward to what’s next for you following your Morpheus sale.

1 Like

Keep in mind that @bpcarb’s batch was delayed because of the USB modules. So it may in fact be a shorter wait time fyi.

4 Likes

It appears I am following in your footsteps. Ordered a Spring 3 KTE. Was curious as to how long I might have to wait.

3 Likes

And congrats on the new gear!

1 Like

Good point. I was impacted by the 2 week delay and resulting backup.

Excellent!

:+1:t3:

1 Like

Now that I have your Sonnet I’m going to have to ignore how much you love the Holo Spring 3 KTE when it comes in :hear_no_evil:

Congrats on the new purchase, can’t wait to hear the impressions/comparison!

1 Like

22 Likes

What amp is that? Looks really cool!

1 Like

Hey there if you got that Morpheus listed recently congrats, and as mentioned previously I highly suggest looking into getting the I2S module installed as that is really the only way to hear the Morpheus at it’s full potential. USB and Coax inputs with the Morpheus are inferior to the I2S input in my experience. You get snappier transients, more detail, tighter impact and better space and air, with the I2S input. Just thought I would throw that out there, as comparisons with the Holo Spring will be different depending on inputs used with the Morpheus.

1 Like

It’s on my list for sure! Stepwise, I’m probably going to upgrade to a Matrix X-SPDIF 2 for AES first, see how that goes then get the Hermes and the I2S module (maybe the MQA module as well just to see what that’s all about).

1 Like

Nice! Sounds like you got a great plan, to get the most out of that amazing DAC.

1 Like

Yeah I run computer audio through my system, so need to prioritize that path first, then can worry about streaming with Roon for music specifically. I figured the USB to AES conversion would serve me well no matter what in the future anyways if I ever decide to explore other DACs.

1 Like

Sorry for the double thread reply, but something exciting came through and had to share!

I’ll have to get my proper camera out once my head-fi station upgrades are complete, but excited for this piece of the puzzle and can’t wait to put it through it’s paces and compare to the Rad-0 and Ether 2.

28 Likes

Trying that sabre ess schiit! Edit: I need to check with our friends I think this is a multibit card.

10 Likes

I’m not going to show you the box of the new Sennheiser 820s that arrived today.

Like almost everything in my life that I get enthusiastic about, I’ve dived into this hobby with both feet and in very short order have a VC Olive, a Focal Utopia and the new Sennies (not to mention Celestees for the road and an Aeolus that I’ve had a little bit longer).

I bought the 820s simply to satisfy my curiosity as to how wide a wide soundstage can be. I fully expected to hear it, appreciate the soundstage but ultimately return the headphones concluding (like earlier Sennies I tried) that it was lacking in bass and personality. Stupid move - the detail and yes, the wide soundstage make them unique in my quickly-acquired arsenal.

I worry my eyes were bigger than my stomach, here, and that I have (at least) one more set than I need, but I’d be stumped if I had to choose one to eliminate.

Though it goes against my return-it-quickly-if-you’re-gonna-return-it mindset, I think I’m going to have to hang on to these and just spend less time acquiring and a lot more time assessing the roles of each of these headphones. Hell, none of them have even burned in, yet.

So I end my confessional with this question: are most of you like me in wanting to sample everything great you’ve heard about on these boards? Or are you more apt to find your one true love and limit yourself?

I know, I know - such problems. But I’m not complaining or humblebragging - just trying to figure out if more=less. You learn a lot about gear in this hobby, but you sometimes learn something about yourself.

6 Likes

First A, then B. It’s a little like dating in a way, you don’t maybe know what you’re looking for at first, and things that other people are looking for might not matter that much to you.

Unlike dating, some guys wind up with collections, some guys wind up as serial monogomists, some guys find their happy one system.

Keep in mind survivorship bias though, the people that found their happy one, probably aren’t reading forums mostly about gear acquisition.

10 Likes