Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

I would scoff at the idea of spending $8k on most solid state amps, but given all that this one can do it seems possibly reasonable. I question the point of the dual-channel mixer (is someone out there really feeding their headphones 2 signals and being their own DJ? lol), but the tone controls and crossfeed here are intriguing.

Following.

3 Likes

My hesitance is driven mainly by all those extra features that I don’t think I’ll use and am curious who they really serve other than reviewers or just sounding cool to begin with. All I really need is awesome build and sound quality.

4 Likes

Hi friend. This is very well said and it is something I agree on. For the past year I was considering (almost itching) to buy the Final Audio D-8000’s. After some patience, time and critical thinking I said to myself I should be refining the headphones I already have in another capacity. That capacity is tube amplification and I’m going that route to get more difference out of my headphones, which is what I ultimately want. :slight_smile:
Thanks for your post here. Makes a ton of sense to me.

3 Likes

That is actually a smart way to think because whenever I buy something I wanna make sure I utilize all of it and not half of it. Otherwise it is money down the drain. I considered this greatly when deciding on buying a Tube Amp. Anyhow, the ZAHŁ has a bit too much for it to be practical for my audio situation and needs.

2 Likes

All the features are also that pushed me to order one - next to company and people behind it. And I’m normally not tempted at all at amps in this price range.
I’ll be using the features constantly. It’ll be my solid state headphone amp, my pre amp for my monitors, my preamp for some of my tube amps. Then I’ll also try to feed a tube as pre in one of the inputs to try as a hybrid. I also like to use a bass shelf on most of my headphones and I think relays controlled analog tone controls probably won’t get much better than on the HM1. There is just so much you can do with it. And if I’m not using every feature right now I think it’s nice to know that - if a new scenario comes up - the HM1 will probably be able to handle it.
Concerning the 2 mixable inputs. I think there are many scenarios where this makes sense. A/B is probably the most useful feature for us audiophiles but on the professional side of things you can do a lot of things like combining samples from 2 different sources, manipulate them in soundstage or tone or even put them through more external compressors/EQs etc. on each channel and feed them back to a recorder. I think it’s more intended for the creational/mastering process of music instead of DJ work.

4 Likes

I would have to agree and disagree at the same time with the ditch the headphones for something else.

I am one to experience the HE6se V2 and yes it’s different from the HE6. However, I must say with little hesitation and subjective experience when you give the HE6 and Susvara what they need which is a foolish amount of current they are both amazing headphones.

So it’s really coming down to how much you can get it for. The Susvara is clearly almost 8 times more expensive than HE6se v2.

The amp I purchased was more expensive than the headphones. But I got away with less than 1500 for something I enjoy. I really wish I could test the Susvara on my amp to see if it is optimal as well.

You can definitely get away far cheaper and with probably 20% less of the performance of either of these headphones. Yet as we know how we all function some people may spend thousands before ever reaching that via experimentation. But the utmost highest quality performance is always chased and sought

With such infant stages in the audio journey, I honestly feel that headphones can’t match speakers. Yet, the headphone route seems to be far cheaper. So it’s a tough decision but virtually comes down to financial ability.

I also think far crucial to almost anything, at least in my experience, the source is by far the greatest difference to audio. Strictly based on improvements I got via stereo listening.

One would think this would carry over to headphones too. However I personally haven’t tested it as I am virtually never using headphones at home. But this advice was provided by a veteran member on this site, so most likely a fact. My statements do not reflect his, however the source to choose was

2 Likes

Subjective opinions are not facts. Just sayin’

Wasn’t this thread about the Zahl amp? I must be in the wrong place… :thinking:

5 Likes

This amp seems pretty gimmicky tbh, reminds me a lot of the Manley Absolute Tube amp, tons of features that’s fun to use but drives up the price like crazy in the process. Price of headphones & related products (amps, dacs) are just out of control these days. I am also not a fan of the seemingly arbitrary limited to x-unit per year, just screams marketing to capitalize of people’s FOMO. NGL though it is working and I am interested, but definitely not dropping 8Gs on this blindly

5 Likes

Those of us who heard it were all super into it. So if you get a chance to hear one - maybe at a trade show or meet up - definitely do. I also know a lot of people who are uniquely hyped for this one after hearing the prototype at the last CanJam SoCal. Just make sure you listen with closed-back headphones and compare with other sources if you can. That way you get a better sense of it.

3 Likes

To be clear, this isn’t marketing. Its currently Michael building the units himself. Each unit takes about a week to a week and a half currently and that’s outside of the customized mixing consoles that he does which start at $60k and are used by the likes of Nils Frahm, Aphex Twins and the Chemical Brothers to name a few.

Hopefully in the future he’ll be able to increase yearly capacity but without knowing what the market demand will be like coupled with it being just him making them at the moment, it’s hard to get a handle on those things ahead of launch.

9 Likes

Thanks for the explanation. I was guessing it also has something to do with resources. However, it’d be better if they stated that as some other manufacturers do, from outsider’s perspective without knowledge of that, it looks like a marketing trick.

1 Like

I don’t doubt it is an excellent amp, hence my interest in it. This something I’d need to demo in my own system with headphones I am familiar with to gauge its abilities but given its availability it doesn’t seem possible any times soon. I don’t believe a brief session with some unfamiliar close backs and random sources would do it justice.

1 Like

would you say that has impact on warranty and repair in case of need? I know he’s been around for years and is respected and well known, but there’s benefit to having a strong company stand behind gear you pay a lot of money for just in case…

1 Like

@rangerid @orrman There’s no better way to try something than in your own system. Headphones dot com might still have available preorders, and I can’t think of a place I trust more than them to make pricy headphone-related purchases from. Just my opinion, of course.

2 Likes

So I can’t say because we’ve never had to do warranty on the product before. Everything I say is just speculation.

However, I will say, based on his reputation in the industry and the customers that he does have, I have a feeling that Michael would prioritize existing customers over potential new customers. He’s been in this business long enough to know that treating a customer you already have right can have a much bigger impact than capturing a single additional sale.

6 Likes

I’m all in for trying things at home and fully supportive of this platform and the store and people behind it. That said, $8K is a lot of money for what at the moment is based mostly on hype and short listening sessions in expos. That’s my biggest concern on pre ordering it. Personally in order to justify it I need to sell gear I own that is tested and known and I selected because of many reasons.
I might just be a better fit for the 50 units that’ll come next year instead. There is also a new Enleum product announced in 11 days that’s keeping me from committing to some other solid state :slight_smile:

7 Likes

The rule of thumb for audio vendors:

• One person working alone, or a small family business: doing everything means slow times, higher costs, and following their life schedule. They have a vision and may not even make a significant profit.

• Employs at least 5-10 people: standard marketing practices apply. Branding, marketing, limited quantities, special editions, etc.

I’m in the same boat. We’d need comparative reviews with other TOTL solid states more than anything. The only comparison I’ve seen is a one word sentence from Golden One where he said it was comfortably ahead of the 23R, which is very positive. I’ve had almost all the TOTL SS amps now and I’d rank it like for technical performance alone (not taking into consideration preferences & synergy with anything specific):
1. CFA3
2a. 13/23R
2b. Niimbus
3a.Ferrum OOR
3b.FormulaS+PM
3c. HPA4
4. Sony TAZ

The gap between CFA3 and the 13/23R & Niimbus is greater than the gap between those 2 and Ferrum & FS + PM. If I had to make a very rough educated guess I’d say the performance of the HM1 will slide somewhere between CFA3 and 23R/Niiumbus, or potentially beating CFA3. On power alone it still falls behind CFA3 which is 16W into 50Ohms from balanced outs. Rumors has it CFA3 will be commercialized soon so that’s another one to keep an eye out for…

6 Likes

One real world use case I intend to explore (eventually) will be to hook one input to my phono/pre and the other to an XLR switch fed by a couple DACs, enabling A-B compare of vinyl vs digital. That will not only help me to dial in my TBD turntable setup, but can also enable things like comparing masters or just zeroing in on media / chain differences.

Gaming + Roon Gigachad setup :grin:

2 Likes

I mean, it can be gimicky and exceptionaly good at the same time.

3 Likes