Zähl HM1 - Reference Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

Yeah, but I would use that description more for some of the lower end Phonitor stuff or the iFi stuff than on this one. Like I’d never use the xspace function personally for example. This was a more subtle and more… realistic effect on the HM1. The shelving options are more just nice to have for analog EQ, something I wish more amps would have.

Hi Andrew. Honestly I’m just happy to hear that you and DMS had a great experience listening to this amp while visiting HIFI Germany. I have no doubt that the Zahł is of good quality. Next time I’m at a show I’ll be sure to hear it.
Anyhow I’m always routing for the next best thing. Hearing is believing though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Well if you decide to implement a feature might as well do it right and useful and end up sounding good

Totally agree, just saying that since for certain in my subjective experience it’s the best change I’ve incorporated in my stereo listening. Only thing I mean is a fact is this change should also apply to headphones as well.

I can get into detail, but as you can see I’ll write a research paper of a comment and I’ll spare you all of that.

Yes indeed it isn’t about HiFiman, just saw the posts and commented. Carry on lads :slight_smile:

1 Like

A significant part of the appeal of the HM1, for me, is the innate A/B capability.

To do this, today, I use a self-designed/built, rather involved, piece of hardware/software* (I’ve talked about is elsewhere). It’s more useful for a number of true/pure/double-blind A/B/X test scenarios, since it is “120 dB+ SINAD transparent”, and particularly for doing A/B/X with amplifiers.

But, beyond that, a lot of the appeal is the switchable amplification modes … i.e. simple class A and class A-servo.

The latter should wind up measuring around 105-110 dB SINAD; which seems to be in the sweet-spot for what I wind up actually enjoying with solid-state amplifiers (not that it is a particularly useful, nor interesting, specification on its own). That’s about SPL Phonitor X territory, but with greater current delivery capability, and quite a lot cleaner (measurement wise) than the otherwise entirely beguiling HSA-1b.

Very much looking forward to getting my hands/ears on my HM1.

* I very briefly thought about building them to sell, but they’d be prohibitively expensive to do in small numbers. Doing an open-source/hardware approach isn’t much more viable; you’d need the ability to get 8-layer PCBs fabricated and then be capable of doing a lot of very fine-pitch SMT assembly, as well as your own precision case-work. Not withstanding that, right now, you’d be looking at component lead times of up to a year.

8 Likes

You can do that with an a/b switcher. I’m questioning who in the world has a use for a headphone a/b MIXER.

How about the other example I posted?

To elaborate: Xbox on one input + Roon stream on the other, so I can play a game and listen to my own tunes without being hobbled by the total lack of good audio options on Xbox.

Or, equally useful, pure game audio on one channel and “chat service of choice” (Discord, etc.) on the other. So I can have a more optimal gaming and chat solution while also avoiding crappy digital mixing on the console.

Or, if I use the HM1 on my desk, I can improve upon my current work + music setup with the mixer feature as well. I cannot run music apps on my work machine, so I use a personal computer w/ Roon for that and my work machine for meetings, etc. I run XLR from the Roon machine and RCA from the work machine into Oor and switch inputs to toggle between getting stuff done and taking calls. With a built in mixer I could keep the tunes going in the background.

That’s 3 solid personal use cases for mixing just off the top of my head and doesn’t even broach the topic of music production or any of the doubtless many creative uses I could dream up. Like, say, recording Karaoke Night? Michael Zahl also described a number of professional uses for that feature in the various interviews I’ve watched about HM1.

10 Likes

That’s actually a great use case I didn’t think about yet. Currently I’m always switching my main dac between Roon connected via USB to a Ropieee and PC sounds connected via coax. Just got to install another dac for the PC sounds and finally be able to listen to high quality Roon non stop on one input and mix in PC sounds when needed :+1:

1 Like

Alex, I’ll take headphone amplifiers I would love to own, but can’t afford, for $100 please… :joy:

1 Like

Money statement and rather quotable, lol, for my business school students.

3 Likes

8 Likes

So RME had an HM1 at Canjam London and it was fantastic to spend a bit more time with it.

Not just with the HEDD they had there (which unfortunately I can’t really use because it does not fit people with enormous noggins like myself), but with some other great cans.

Firstly, the Hifiman Susvara (thank you Mark!)

But also the truly excellent Raal CA1A (thank you Danny!)

Both of these sounded absolutely incredible.
The amount of control and grip this thing can present is just second to none. And with Susvara the stereo base adjustment was VERY impressive.

I absolutely cannot wait to spend time with an HM1 at home. It’s the most impressive amplifier I’ve heard to date and everything I’ve heard on it has been arguably the best experience with each respective headphone.
It’s not just a great amp for one headphone, it’s stellar with EVERYTHING.
Stealth, CA1A, susvara, t60 argons, hedd, Diana TC, they all just shine on this device.

It’s so impressively honest and neutral but with such incredible impact, engagement and tweaks to make anything sound even more incredible. It puts a smile on my face like very few other devices do

22 Likes

So your telling me it is worth a try? Lol.
Great news, @GoldenSound. I’m happy we all got something to be excited about.

1 Like

I think it’s safe to say the HM1 is simply incredible

Stereo base adjustment with 1266 is nuts

11 Likes

You have the same look as me when I put on the Final Audio D-8000’s and paired it with the Woo Audio WA22. Like you, I am in a concentrative state of heavenly bliss.
Well done, sir. :hugs:

1 Like

I recognize those hands…

Looking forward to joining everyone in CJ tomorrow, and as one of ones who got on the order, get a preview of the HM-1.

3 Likes

When it’s finally October!

Can’t wait to get my HM1 and spend some proper time with it!

13 Likes

If you had to choose between an HM1 + RME vs a T+A HA 200 (roughly the same price) – or a Holo May KTE + a $3,000 amp, which way would you go?

1 Like

T+A Ive only heard briefly at shows so can’t really say much on that unfortunately.

I’m not a huge fan of the RME’s sound, though I adored the featureset and did have an ADI-2 Pro FS R for a bit, (I’ve not heard the new ESS variant of the ADI-2 DAC though).
So I’d go with the latter option if that DAC was the only offering.

For the amp I’d probably go for the Ferrum OOR. Or possibly the Holo Bliss once that’s out later this month (assuming it sounds very similar to the serene which I was a big fan of)

The HM1 with a different DAC at the same pricepoint would be another matter though. I liked the SMSL VMV D1SE a lot for example.

2 Likes

Be sure to add the Holo Audio Bliss to your list of amps to consider.

1 Like