ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I have yet to find an amp these Aeolus sound bad on. They just sound so good with every amp I have tried so far.

7 Likes

Thanks to @MRHifiReviews and asking how the Ananda compares to my ZMF cans… I’m now on an Aeolus kick… hot damn! These are just fire! They are “effortlessly enjoyable” It’s like a guilty pleasure, it is very hard to put into words how these illicit instant smiling when listening to music! even when jumping around genres…effortless joy is really what these provide…well for me anyhow :wink: lol

I think the VO and VC are Masterclass in performance…but the Aeolus is a “Swan Song”

14 Likes

That’s awesome! Musical enjoyment is what it’s all about. :blush:

8 Likes

What he said!! VO in particular impressed me greatly, but it’s the Aeolus I actually bought.

I have other that I like a lot, but it seems like every time I reach for one, it’s the Aeolus.

7 Likes

Okay everyone after looking around a bit for SS amp, I’ve come away with these options to power the aeolus but allow me to use some non demanding headphones as well.

Lyr 3 + bifrost 2’s are a lock. (So looking for a sound signature a little different from these).
Zx-507

Lake people g111
Gilmore lite mk2
Pro-ject head box s2b (2x550 mw)
Jds labs El amp

Wild card upper end of budget
Flux lab acoustics fa-10
Lake people rs-02

I’m definitely not into trading so would potentially like to keep source gear for a few years as I upgrade headphones.

4 Likes

@hazi59 just picked up a G111 and is really happy with it. I think he also has an El amp.

There’s a Gilmore Lite mk2 thread that has some pretty good descriptions of it.

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 Class-A Headphone Amplifier

Haven’t heard much on the others.

4 Likes

Care to compare Verite to Aeolus for me?

2 Likes

Hmmm… they are actually pretty similar… I would say the Verite has more stage, faster, better imaging and detail.

Depending on the pads you can bring them closer or further apart… Also the Verite has a more 3D factor…especially the closed… makes you look around looking for someone/thing in the room with you while listening at times lol.

Aeolus is on par with the Clears as far as capabilities, I prefer the sound of the Aeolus to the Clears though (hence me selling the Clears and keeping the ZMFs). Aeolus is wider, and warmer with to me better tonality and midrange.

I also find the Verites on par capabilities wise to the Stellias and Utopias, they just are not as fast as the Focals. But, for me I derive more joy from the ZMF sound than the Focals at that level. Though I am wanting to hear the Stellias for an extended period of time at some point. Another thing to keep in mind is the stage is bigger with the ZMFs across the board compared to the Focals, and has greater depth.

8 Likes

Thank you sir

I wonder if I could be just as content with a Aeolus as my VO. And given the $1000 price difference, spend that on something fun. Just thoughts

4 Likes

So, I’m sure some will be upset by this comment…but honestly… unless you are super into audio…I think that the Aeolus is perfect for most people as endgame headphones… add the pads to dial in different sound signatures and blam! you have a pretty amazing headphone…

add a nice tube amp and blam! another great experience!

I will say though…that once you’ve heard better it might take a lil bit to let go of your Verites.

But I know plenty of people that prefer the Clears to the Utopias, so yeah… I think you can easily swap out the Verites for an Aeolus and be content!

10 Likes

Look, I am into it. But I also know my audio memory quickly disappears. After a few weeks you tend to forget. Especially since I don’t test per se, not big into A/B. Big into just enjoying.

Hence the curiosity.

I have a DX7 Pro. A custom tube amp coming. Maybe an Aeolus is the way to go.

Have a few sets of perforated universe pads now though. They work on Aeolus?

5 Likes

I’m currently using perforated universe pads for my Aeoulus! They are Zachs co-favorites with the suede universe perf pads… so yes!

2 Likes

I have perf universe leather, suede and hybrid (coming).

Autuers off centred grill niggles at my OCD too much. Aeolus is nice though.

1 Like

Ah. Bass. Does it go deep and hit nicely like the Verite?

1 Like

Thank God… I am not alone :rofl: :rofl:
Part of my “Are you serious?!?!?” when seeing a Focal HP

2 Likes

It’s especially so on the Aueter hey. Reminds me of googly eyes.

5 Likes

@hazi59 any good news to report?? :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I am actually in the process of comparing the G111 and the RNHP at the moment. I’m planning on spending the rest of the week trying out my different headphones with each. For this past weekend, I listened to both with my HD650, which are my reference. Tomorrow is the LCD-X, Wed is the Clear, Thursday the Elegia and Friday the ZMF Atticus.

10 Likes

Aeolus people. Best pads? Hoping Universe Suede Perforated is the answer, I like those pads. Testing an Aeolus soon!

4 Likes

The Universe Suede Perforated are my personal favorite, though I also do like the standard universe lambskin perforated for a slight change here and there :wink:

3 Likes