ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I’ve smelled my to the point I felt a little uncomfortable :blush:… but the wood and leather when they first come out of the box/case is a great smell.

7 Likes

Oh my. Those are lovely. My wife loves rose gold, so those would certainly have a high WAF in my house.

3 Likes

That’s a rare thing in headphones. Buy them. Now. Go. Hurry. I said now! Why are you still reading this??!?

4 Likes

The first time my wife tried my Aeolus, she asked “So not to be rude, but how is this any different from my headphones [Bose QC35II]?” That was also the last time.

4 Likes

Simply stunning. I’m very envious.

1 Like

1 Like

My wife frequently likes to come upstairs and take my Stellia or LCD-3 from me and have me pick songs for her, I had her A/B test the headphones and she could describe the differences. I was very proud that day.

8 Likes

To be honest, it does take some ear training to truly appreciate upper level cans; however, to equate a QC35II with anything ZMF is most likely a crime against humanity…

6 Likes

LOL. I have a pair of Aeolus on order, but I got the standard version, not the LTD version. Besides, I want them for me, not for her.

3 Likes

Wow, gorgeous, simply stunning!

6 Likes

Kind of like a cross between a perfectly smoked pork rib and putting too much butter on a freshly baked roll/scone.

4 Likes

I finally got my Aeolus and Lektrik today. The Lektrik is a decent cable. It’s very light, pliable, and has no microphonics. It is a little tangle prone, and also feels very delicate. The wires are quite thin and there is no strain relief on any of the connectors. Hopefully it holds up long-term.

Sound-wise, it works great. Can’t say I hear any difference from the stock cable. The stock cable is not nearly as nice to use or look at.

2 Likes

I have yet to find an amp these Aeolus sound bad on. They just sound so good with every amp I have tried so far.

7 Likes

Thanks to @MRHifiReviews and asking how the Ananda compares to my ZMF cans… I’m now on an Aeolus kick… hot damn! These are just fire! They are “effortlessly enjoyable” It’s like a guilty pleasure, it is very hard to put into words how these illicit instant smiling when listening to music! even when jumping around genres…effortless joy is really what these provide…well for me anyhow :wink: lol

I think the VO and VC are Masterclass in performance…but the Aeolus is a “Swan Song”

14 Likes

That’s awesome! Musical enjoyment is what it’s all about. :blush:

8 Likes

What he said!! VO in particular impressed me greatly, but it’s the Aeolus I actually bought.

I have other that I like a lot, but it seems like every time I reach for one, it’s the Aeolus.

7 Likes

Okay everyone after looking around a bit for SS amp, I’ve come away with these options to power the aeolus but allow me to use some non demanding headphones as well.

Lyr 3 + bifrost 2’s are a lock. (So looking for a sound signature a little different from these).
Zx-507

Lake people g111
Gilmore lite mk2
Pro-ject head box s2b (2x550 mw)
Jds labs El amp

Wild card upper end of budget
Flux lab acoustics fa-10
Lake people rs-02

I’m definitely not into trading so would potentially like to keep source gear for a few years as I upgrade headphones.

4 Likes

@hazi59 just picked up a G111 and is really happy with it. I think he also has an El amp.

There’s a Gilmore Lite mk2 thread that has some pretty good descriptions of it.

HeadAmp Gilmore Lite Mk2 Class-A Headphone Amplifier

Haven’t heard much on the others.

4 Likes

Care to compare Verite to Aeolus for me?

2 Likes

Hmmm… they are actually pretty similar… I would say the Verite has more stage, faster, better imaging and detail.

Depending on the pads you can bring them closer or further apart… Also the Verite has a more 3D factor…especially the closed… makes you look around looking for someone/thing in the room with you while listening at times lol.

Aeolus is on par with the Clears as far as capabilities, I prefer the sound of the Aeolus to the Clears though (hence me selling the Clears and keeping the ZMFs). Aeolus is wider, and warmer with to me better tonality and midrange.

I also find the Verites on par capabilities wise to the Stellias and Utopias, they just are not as fast as the Focals. But, for me I derive more joy from the ZMF sound than the Focals at that level. Though I am wanting to hear the Stellias for an extended period of time at some point. Another thing to keep in mind is the stage is bigger with the ZMFs across the board compared to the Focals, and has greater depth.

8 Likes