ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

It is an audioquest stand.

2 Likes

The Aeolus was ultimately what pushed me down the Zmf collecting path. It is a gem in the rough for sure!

4 Likes

Do you mean the HP stand is an audioquest?
I was aiming at the stand for the monitor :wink:

I think ZMF collecting should be classified as a highly contagious disease! It’s very deadly to wallets and marriages… I’m suffering from it myself. The Aeolus is my next fix…

4 Likes

I’m awaiting my first ZMF - the Aeolus. Assuming it’s as awesome as virtually everyone says it is, what’s the natural second step? Do I next need to experience the Verite (and if so, open/closed?)? It feels like the VO is where I’m working towards…

1 Like

I would do whichever one has a LTD version…if you’re trying to collect all the ZMFs

2 Likes

Take some time with the Aeolus first, there’s no rush!

First, enjoy it with the stock pads. Then, get the perf suede pads.

I personally feel no need to step up to the VO after having a month with both, the Aeolus with perf suede is like a mini VO for me.

If I want the warmth, back to the stock pads!

2 Likes

Yeah, I think I’m getting ahead of myself! Just trying to understand the different flavors, the natural progressions. Good advice.

Not sure about VO/VC, few people who has them said that it’s not really overall better, but different and if you really love Aeolus you might not need the VO/VC.

But I’m also curious about those.

1 Like

Spend time with the Aeolus first and really get to know it. Once you’re completely familiar with it, you might not want a 2nd set. But if you do, knowing what you don’t like on the Aeolus will help you with what you will want in your 2nd ZMF. Despite all ZMFs having a house sound, they really do have very unique presentations. The closest two I’ve found are the VO/VC. They’re very very similar sounding imo. Next up is the Atticus/Aeolus. But the Aeolus seems to be a bit more receptive to pad rolling. The odd couple are the Auteur/Eikon. IMO they just don’t sound related at all.

2 Likes

That said, what’s folks general recommendation for “basshead” ZMF akin to the Cascade?

I’ll usually be rocking the Suede Perf on the Aeolus since the near VO sound is my preference.

When I’m able to I’d love to be able to grab whatever is the polar opposite lol.

My bad,was reading too fast and I thought you were talking about the headphone stand :man_facepalming:

1 Like

Spending time with them is a good idea. Your ears might tell you what they desire, especially for certain types of music.

You are all missing the point - you need to tell me what I get to buy next!!!

:smile:

1 Like

Easy,

1). Chase the Blackwood Aeolus.

2). VO & VC. Torture yourself trying to pick which one to keep.

3). Toobs. Probably start with a Bottlehead Crack OTL AMP (Kit/DIY) - Official Thread (toobs are the happy place for people that love spending money.)

4). Dac-ius Nervosa. (This is where you convince yourself a different dac will make you happy. )

I’m currently in stage 4, and 1 simultaneously.

10 Likes

Now this is what I was talking about. A deliberative, structured path towards neuroses. Thank you.

Ha. It partly depends on what type of music you listen to and what sonic properties you can’t live with and can’t live without.

In sum, I own a Verite Closed.

2 Likes

Hello! I’m in New Zealand, so supply might be hard to get. But it’s a Startech stand for 34" monitor.

1 Like

So, since I lust for the Aeolus, I relayed this story to my wife:

And she said “So … ?”

And I said, "So, I’m thinking that when I get a pair of these … you will react the same way. :slight_smile: "

And she said: “No. Not going to happen.”

1 Like

so …

step 1: you make up a story about how there was a FLASH sale and you got these for dirt cheap. That will get her attention!

step 2: proceed to get her reaction.

step 3: Now here’s the important part, ONLY afterwards do you tell her how much they really cost! :sunglasses: