ZMF Aeolus - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I don’t see what I do as providing additional benefits. For me, it’s more of a “start low & go slow” tactic.

I prefer to challenge a headphones’ new drivers less at the start & more at the end of burn-in.

I burn-in speakers pretty much the same way–no high volumes or big bass & beat music at the start.

There’s no real science to it…just me proceeding cautiously with valuable new audio gear.

4 Likes

Ok cool, thanks for clarifying for me! :call_me_hand::+1:

2 Likes

Best suggestion EVER!!!
And how can you keep it at only 8?!?!?

1 Like

Seems like you have almost a SOP done for what to do (I am also in Pharma :wink: ).
A link would be nice, then I can try it out myself.

2 Likes

Yes, it’s my SOP…my version of a phase III clinical trial (but N=1).

Here’s link to the 2 noise files I mentioned:

One file is pink noise, which sounds less bright than white noise because the volume decreases slightly w/increasing frequency. That’s good for burn-in, as the lower frequencies cause the most displacement of the headphone driver, which is presumably stiffest/least compliant when brand new.

The other noise file is brownian noise (not Gaussian noise–I had misremembered the name). Brownian noise is significantly weighted toward lower frequencies (description below). I find brownian noise to be very soothing…sometimes play it through speakers while working.

“*Brownian noise has more energy at lower frequencies than white or pink noise and has a damped, soft, “low roar” quality, like a waterfall or heavy rain” (precisely)

6 Likes

I remember that wait and checking often. Which Aeolus did you end up ordering, the standard Sapole wood or Camphor Burl?

1 Like

I went with the Sapele.

3 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice! You’ll enjoy them and, while it may sound odd, they smell wonderful too.

1 Like

Thanks!
20 characters

de nada…

What do you do in Pharma, if I may ask?

I’m in sales, so part of my 2019 bonus is going to my Aeolus :wink:
You?

2 Likes

Freelance medical writer/medical copywriter for the past 20 yrs. I only rarely give myself bonuses, though.

1 Like

Being a freelancer in this industry is often well paid, so I understand the audiophile hobby!
And with the tax and shipping on top of the Aeolus cost itself, I need the bonus to make the purchase :innocent:

What is everyone’s preference for pads for these headphones? Also what cable did you go with?

Eikon suede perf. ZMF machinos silver cables.

(I bought the cables after, now that I think about it, but still that’s what I use.)

2 Likes

Those Michanikos with wooden-connectors sure are pretty…

1 Like

Seems, I am one of the few that still use the stock perf leather (Aeolus pads), but I love the stock sound. For cables, I use a Norne Draug 3 (1/4") and ZMF Silver Michanikos (4pin xlr).

2 Likes

ZMF Silver Michanikos 4 pin XLR with Eidolic connectors as well.

Super cable. Matches really well with my Aeolus. Also use a single ended Cardas Cross with the Aeolus from a prior set of Audezes I had.

2 Likes

It is nice to see the Silver Michanikos getting some love! Really a beautiful looking/sounding cable, that lays straight.

3 Likes