ZMF Pendant - Tube Headphone Amplifier - Official Thread

Well said! That first experience is unforgettable, and had me addicted instantly. I will say, the BHC Speedball, with my current tube roll is anything but gooey. :wink: I would call it quite resolving but smooth and natural sounding, and that’s the beauty of tube rolling.

7 Likes

Speedball is the key there. Stock is a little gooey, maybe loose is a better term, depending on tubes. Just my 2¢ anyway.

3 Likes

I forgot, you are using the BHC without Speedball, and from what I remember a warm tube (Mullard Long Plate), which I would imagine being a little gooey. Speedball + Hamburg ECC82 Long Plate, definitely take things in the other direction.

2 Likes

Yep, sometimes I love gooey! Get some Stevie Ray Vaughan playing and just let the syrup ooze. Haha

3 Likes

I love gooey, with Stevie and Jimi! They both seem to need a little warmth added to the recording.

1 Like

I wonder if the positive comparison to the Phonitor X is due to its ultra linear topology.

Along those lines how did you find the midrange performance of the Pendant? I expected the findings re sound stage and speed but noted no comment on midrange/treble performance so I’m curious if you have a general impression on the mids.

Did you find the Pendant simply enhances the ZMF house sound or adds characteristics to it leaving the house sound as is, or perhaps both, or perhaps Im being too general in my question.

Thanks for the review. Hopefully we’ll see it on the youtube channel soon.

2 Likes

Yes, mid texture is enhanced - especially lower mids. I notice it most with acoustic guitars.

3 Likes

Just posted my review, figured I’d post it here:

I reviewed the Pendant before CanJam, so it was cool to talk to Zach about it at the show - I learned a lot that I didn’t know. I’ll be posting my interview with him shortly as well.

16 Likes

Great video, Andrew.

I like how you explained the differences in presentation (staging). Makes me want a tube even more so to just kick back and enjoy the music…

6 Likes

Great review @Resolve just watched it! Would love to hear your thoughts on how the ZMF compares to https://www.headphones.com/collections/desktop-amps-dacs/products/cayin-ha-1a-mk2-vacuum-tube-headphone-amplifier

8 Likes

I think that needs to be on my list to review. I’ll try and make that happen in the near future.

5 Likes

Awesome! Thank you sir!

1 Like

I’ve had both at the same time and still use my Cayin…

From my perspective, I think that the pendant has a wider stage and depth…but not by much. Dynamics and delivery also edged out ahead of the Cayin. Also to note tubes play a big part in this…
overall I think the pendant is worth the price and is an upgrade to the Cayin. But, aesthetics can play a part as I do find the Cayin to be very pleasing to look at and it is a conversation piece on top of that.

Also to note the Cayin weighs a lot…like, seriously a lot!

10 Likes

When I see photos of the Cayin I imagine listening to it is probably similar in satisfaction and experience as watching cookies baking in the oven. Instead of sweet treats you eat, you’re treated to sweet sounds…

1 Like

Pendant looks beautiful I just wondered if you thought it’s worth the price with stock tubes on both, head to head?

1 Like

The Cayin has a more “what people that haven’t spent real time with pure tube-amps think tube amps will sound like” presentation (which is very agreeable, in the same vein as its lovely, pronounced, glowiness and physical warm and attractive finish is pleasing on an aesthetic level) - at least on its stock tubes.

The Pendant is more of a “this is how you build an amplifier with a pure-tube topology, when you want to get the best out of tubes without ignoring technical competence”.

19 Likes

LOL!! I love that description. I think it’s spot on. Not that the Cayin is bad, but… yeah, the two amps aren’t even remotely the same despite both having tubes.

3 Likes

This lol! The Cayin is like … P.F. Chang’s chain restaurant… or like Starbucks…

The Pendant is more of the “real” Chinese “non-Americanized” Dim-sum house or what have you…or that boutique coffee house where the barista can detail where the beans come from, how they were roasted, they take the time to grind the bean a specific way and brew it to a specific standard lol…

I do enjoy my Cayin, but I’m looking at the Woo amps and even some of the bigger Cayin tube amps as my next tube amp. I don’t foresee getting rid of the ha-1amkii but, I would probably use it in a different listening area (living room) to my main listening battle station eventually

2 Likes

What is it audibly doing to make it so different? Asking in all seriousness from a learning stand point. I totally get the craftsmanship element, I was just wondering about the overall sound quality increase present between the two. @Torq @ProfFalkin @TylersEclectic

1 Like

I’m not @Torq and cannot/will not speak for him…

In my analogy above…is a latte from Starbucks that costs $5 almost as good as a $7-8 latte from a specialty coffee house? That, ultimately is up to you to decide.

Personally, I go for maxing out my budget on the item of choice if I can, that way I don’t have any “regerts” ! Lol but, I do tend to frequent Starbucks more than boutique coffee shops…my wife also will go out of her way to a Starbucks over an unknown due to she likes the consistency of the quality and limited surprises…personally I like the surprise, even if 60% of the time it’s a not so great surprise lol

5 Likes