ZMF Vérité - Open-Back Dynamic Headphone - Official Thread

I could harass you if you want the practice? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

You don’t owe anyone an explanation. Period.

5 Likes

Oh, I know … I’m just heading off a bunch more pointless nonsense in my inbox.

3 Likes

If he’s married–you’re wrong.

2 Likes

I am, and he’s still right!

Though I married uncommonly well …

3 Likes

Many hobbyists, especially serious ones, change out and experiment with equipment frequently. I see that as part of the hobby.

2 Likes

Most definitely part of the hobby. I love my music but like the gear too.

2 Likes

Playing with a lens I bought a couple months back…just now playing with it…I have another lens coming Friday…Friday is looking like a great start to the weekend so far…anyhow pic of the Verite and a stupid stack of AIOs and my new EC ZDT Jr up top:

14 Likes

Gorgeous. What lens is that?

1 Like

Kamlan micro 4/3s 1.1 50mm, pretty fun little manual lens.

1 Like

pretty good photo for a cheap lens! Not bad at all!

1 Like

Found this on the Headfi site, which was a repost apparently from SBAF, anyhow! To the graph for all you graph lovers :wink:

https://www.superbestaudiofriends.org/index.php?attachments/upload_2019-7-22_0-52-31-png.17466/

4 Likes

Not bad, a bit more ‘harman-like’ compared to the open Verite. It also looks like the lower treble cut is improved - similar to the open verite with the BE2 pads.

2 Likes

less of a dip in the 3-4k region will be interesting to hear. I can’t wait for RMAF already.

1 Like

The way that dip in the Verite (open) comes across though reminds me of something like a comb filter. I’ve seen other headphones do this as well (I noticed something similar with the RAD-0). To be sure the Verite is also generally subdued in the lower treble, so it’s not strictly like that. But it does come across in a very ‘clean’ way, in spite of its other characteristics and perhaps not having quite as much separation capability as the HD800s. My guess is that the Verite’s ability to stay surgical is partially due to that notch filter-like 3-4khz dip. As a result, you don’t get anything that would otherwise be perceived as a resonance in that area - specifically when you compare this to headphones that are generally more elevated in that region, or even when you boost it with EQ. In this case, what’s cut is a bit of the ringing or echo (reverb?) effect of certain cymbals, and potentially electric guitars (what I’ve noticed at least), but that focuses those instruments and results in them coming across more precise. It’s like that dip is creating a bit of ‘blackness of background’.

To me this is a super interesting concept, because while we get all kinds of meticulous about headphones nailing target curves (or deviating from them), these perceptual tricks can yield some positive results, the benefits of which may go unnoticed when strictly analyzing target deviation.

5 Likes

Cocobolo may be coming out this weekend as a Limited Wood

2 Likes

I still want bloodwood as an option. It’s freaking gorgeous when polished.

2 Likes

That is a nice wood!

Remind me to get you a photo of my bloodwood Eikons.

2 Likes

Yes please! I’m having a hard time not going for the Ziricote Eikons that just went up, I’m holding out for the Verite closed backs…but not sure I can…lol

1 Like