Audeze - Official Thread

I think it would be really interesting if Audeze sort of made the LCD-R but in a simpler form factor, maybe in something like the LCD-4Z type frame with the non carbon headband, and sold them by the boatload at $2000USD with the Schiit amp.

1 Like

It’d also be interesting if my boss at work did what I wanted her to and gave me her salary. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hope springs eternal

3 Likes

purr1n over at SBAF gets his hands on a pair of LCD-Rs and does a review as well as measurements:

4 Likes

I don’t know if the new Audeze improved things greatly or not but the LCD-4Z are annoying as hell to me. I went through 6 different cans before settling on Susvara. The LCD-4Z was last one bought before I purchased the Sus. First of all the way they adjust is asinine and difficult as hell to adjust. They never have the correct clamping force either. They feel bulky and uncomfortable no matter what I do. They look stupid on my head too. I have normal sized head if your wondering lol.
As far as sound I like they are very efficient over Sus. That’s only downfall Sus. Even my Burson Conductor 3X reference has trouble pushing them to levels I like on SOME recordings. Stuff that’s older with low dynamic range I guess? Idk I’m not an expert. My biggest complaint is they lack punch in bass in most music. They do extend low and deep but if it’s kick drum power for rock you crave these suck imo. The mids are ok but not great to me. Vocals sound better on Sus. There is an unnatural boost on some things like a snare drum or snare rim shot that makes it sound to loud of a crack to me. I’m a drummer and notice these things. Highs are crips and pretty good overall but they are tad grainy compared to Sus. Long story short I’ll read reviews and see, but I bet it still falls short of Sus. Figure Sus isn’t that much more really either.

3 Likes

Audeze announces a trade-in program - LCD-4/LCD-4z to LCD-5:

1 Like

Not bad if you just bought a LCD4 and would rather have the 5.

Also will be nice for some people looking for a b-stock LCD4 for Xmas (I’m guessing). Haha

Do I need to burn in my headphones? I have a pair of 2C’s and a Phonitor SE.
Thanks,
RH

1 Like

Need to, no, just listening over time will break them in if you believe in that.

However, its not going to hurt them if you do as long as you dont exceed their physical limitations by blasting max power at them. Moderate volume will work.

How long you burn in is up to you. Not sure if Audeze recommends burn in or what length of time, Ive never gone past 50 hours if at all with any can Ive had.

6 Likes

I concur with @perogie that Audeze planar headphones are unlikely to benefit from burn-in. I swear that I hear slight changes with dynamic driver headphones over the first 24-48 hours, so I often run new items at moderate volumes with energetic, bass-heavy music over night for a couple days. The key word here is “slight.”

I run other electric devices such as the Phonitor to test for sudden early death. This involves no change in sound quality or performance, it just checks for defective parts and bad solder joints.

5 Likes

Audeze burns in all headphones as a QC measure, so there will likely be little to no improvement.

6 Likes

I’ve never heard a change in an audeze over time. If it sounds good out of the box jjst listen to it. Any better it gets with burn in will just be a bonus. No need to go out of your way to mess with it imo

For what it’s worth, I purchased two LCD-X within a month of each other last year (listened to the first pair for a month, then gave it to my brother and bought another pair for myself). The second pair had a noticeable channel imbalance at first (the first pair did not), but this went away completely after a couple weeks of regular use. I didn’t notice any other sonic changes due to burn-in of the LCD-X.

Heres a headphone barn find. LCD-3 Pre Fazor never used… Sat under someones bed for years. Amazing deal for a legendary headphone. I could not pass this up. Local sale too :wink:

23 Likes

Surprisingly little dust and bird poo for a barn find. Congrats!

6 Likes

If only there was more bird poo…pretty sure the quantity and age of it increases the value of the headphone; oh, and it also makes it sound better - similar to how Le Mans stripes on sports cars always adds horsepower.

Seriously, though, what a cool find. Congrats @9kdip

5 Likes

Wow that’s an awesome find. If only we were all so lucky. That’s a great looking headphone and looks pristine.

2 Likes

Wow. I’ve always wanted to hear a good example of an early prefazor LCD-3. Amazing find

5 Likes

Hey Metal, recently sold a pre-fazor LCD3.

It’s a smooth and relaxed headphone, classic audeze but definitely not as macro dynamic as LCD2, with less upper treble roll off.

I hate to make the comparison to this headphone, but it sounds a lot like Verum One.

It’s a very great easy-listening headphone, otherwise nothing really quite special :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve only heard one prefazor that I believe was a 2.2. What I remember is a smaller stage but none of the strange treble peakiness, especially above 10k, that all the modern fazored models have. It seems some FR abnormalities were a tradeoff for a larger stage with better imaging and higher res. So that’s why the early LCD-3 is very interesting if it had higher resolution than the 2.2 but maintained that smoother less peaky treble response, but really it seems like I’m just dreaming out loud at this point

1 Like