CanJam SoCal 2021

FYI guys, one of the awesome hifiman reps just confirmed he tested COVID positive. Mild cold-like symptoms since he is vaccinated.

Please keep an eye on yourself, get tested, and stay safe

On another note, thank you for all the Go Blu feedback here!

8 Likes

Thanks for letting us know. I was worried about that since I didnā€™t see COVID vaccination card checking at the front desk. Iā€™ll get myself tested in a couple days.

EDIT: According to friends who attended, the front desk did ask for people to bring out their vaccination cards. In my case, I already had mine out but it wasnā€™t explicitly acknowledged. At least, I couldnā€™t tell if it was. I should have asked for clarification. Either way, vaccination checks and masking were enforced and adhered to pretty widely.

1 Like

Me, too. I just played it safe best I could. I will be getting myself tested too. No symptoms on my end so far.

5 Likes

Drove back from Irvine yesterday, and straight back into the frying pan at work today, but I need to share how our private group got a functioning Roon network in our hotel roomā€¦

Thereā€™s probably a better thread for this, but I couldnā€™t decide whether itā€™s Tech or DIY or something different, so Iā€™m putting it here since CANJAM is where it happened.

Anyway, the magic ingredient was this little travel router, which I bought last second and didnt even have an opportunity to test before the show. Turns out, itā€™s dead simple to operate, and I had Roon going within 10 minutes!

For Roon itself, I grabbed a spare NUC / R.O.C.K. core. For streamers, a pair of Pis running RopieeeXL. And a little 8-port GBE switch so I could run everything wired. I have a small laptop that I used to configure everything, but really anything (phone, tablet, etc.) would work.

The way the travel router works is super easy: start by connecting to the router via wired or wireless connection from any device (my laptop, in my case). By default, the travel router sets up a floating LAN at 192.168.8.*. Youā€™ll be offline, but you can set up and manage the whole network like that.

To go online, you simply load a browser page to the router IP and enter credentials to log into a network, like the hotel network in this case. The hotel sees the router as a single device, but the router establishes a whole mini private networkā€“both wired and wireless!

To get things going, I actually started with my phone as a hotspot! I was able to get the travel router online through it and get Qobuz streaming working. After that, I simply disconnected the phone as my WAN and logged into the hotel network (generously donated by a member of our party).

Incidentally, the only working Roon source I recall at the show was RAAL, and someone showed me a pic with what looked like the exact same router as mine, lol. Great minds, and all that.

@andrew & @taronlissimore was nice to meet you. I think I mentioned Iā€™d do a little write-up on the network setup? Anyway, I needed to get the word out, because it enabled some serious shenanigans. :grin:

8 Likes

By the way, for those who attended the 2nd day (Sunday) what did the winner of the scavenger hunt win?
Just curiousā€¦

there were alot of prizes and some surprise last minute additions of like cables and iems. I luckily won a Cardas Audio A8 Ear Speaker

7 Likes

If you havenā€™t yet, you should definitely reach out to Justin at ampsandsound to get his recommendation on the best match between you and his line of amps. Youā€™ll e-mail him but heā€™ll likely want to talk to you on the phone - heā€™s friendly, is a good read of his customerā€™s needs, and will point you to the right model. He knew I didnā€™t want to tube roll (I have enough distractions already), so he pointed me to the Kenzie Ovation, which was a plug-it-in-and-itā€™s-great choice. Anyway, youā€™ll enjoy the conversation and purchase with even greater confidence.

7 Likes

I spent alot of time at the hifiman booth to try them out since I own a he6se v2 and wanted to see the rest of the lineup. I got a few spicy takes here

2 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who came by the booth at the show and chatted with us and tried gear out! Saw some familiar faces as well as brand new faces and itā€™s always great to put some faces to the names weā€™ve interacted with over the last couple years!

Unfortunately I donā€™t have any listening impressions from the show as I was behind the booth the whole time. I did get to listen to our own Susvara on the Zaehl HM-1 which sounded great for the 2 minutes of listening that I got. I also got to feel the iFi Audio GO Blu in person and itā€™s absolutely tiny.

Although there were about half the people of a regular CanJam, it still felt extremely busy and our team was absolutely exhausted at the end of the show. Itā€™s nice to be home now.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing everyone at CanJam NYC!

17 Likes

Itā€™d be great to see you guys here. There are a bunch of regular contributors to this forum - @chrisnyc75 and @parmiep spring immediately to mind - in the NY metro area. Maybe we could arrange dinner, drinks, and a gig at a jazz club or something during CanJam? It would be nice to meet folks.

At the very least, we could offer a localsā€™ guide for those coming to town!

8 Likes

Have you ever seen Jerome Sabbagh Play in New York? One of my favorite modern jazz saxophonist.

2 Likes

No, I havenā€™t - thank you very much for the recommendation!

I just missed him: he played two weeks ago at one of my favorite venues, Smallā€™s. You can watch his performance that night here: Jerome Sabbagh / Greg Tuohey Qaurtet- Live at Smalls Jazz Club - 9/16/21 - YouTube

Heā€™s got a handful of gigs coming up in Brooklyn, I see. Iā€™m on crutches at the moment, so I may not be able to make it. But he plays frequently, it seems. Thanks again!

3 Likes

Iā€™m very tempted. I know CanJam is coming to my home town of Chicago later next year, but it occurred to me that coming to NYC might be more enjoyable for me because I can just stay in a hotel (maybe the same hotel as CanJam) and not have to think about train schedules or other real life-related logistics.

6 Likes

Yeah, gladly! Iā€™m excited to finally have a CanJam to go to, I got into the hobby once COVID hit so Iā€™ve missed out on some Head-Fi hobby staples until now. Also would love a jazz night, sign me up.

4 Likes

I hear you about the appeal of a trip. Iā€™m a big fan of your home town and like the idea of using CanJam as an excuse for a visit!

Itā€™d be great to meet up in NYC. Just bring your Nautilus :rofl:

Sounds like a plan!

4 Likes

Thanks, his newest album is with that guitarist Greg. The album that I really like is the one before that called the turn. The first song is really good.

2 Likes

Absolutely! I would love that. I live just one block away from the Marriott, so Iā€™ll probably be there both days.

5 Likes

Iā€™m so in for coming early and getting a tour of NYC and Jazz Night! My first time in town that will be.

6 Likes

Weā€™ll sort you out with some recommendations for places to go and things to do and eat and see! And itā€™ll be great to meet you.

3 Likes

Oof. Missed the boat on this one! Come to SoCal again in 2022? :sunglasses: (edit2: Chicago it is, eh? Iā€™ll be dissertating by that time this year, but next time yā€™all are nearabouts to LAā€¦) :wink:

I would love to meet folks in and around LA for listening and jazz excursions. The bluewhale is permanently closed, and Sam First just temporarily closed again. Harsh times for the LA jazz scene!

2 Likes