Confessions thread

No no, I did this nonsense voluntarily :sunglasses:.

I only met my wife in the early 2000s.

5 Likes

I hate tomatoes but love salsa. Go figure.

Wellā€¦? Dammit man, I need to know!

Well even Koss calls them earspeakers so I wonā€™t fight you on that. Does that mean you donā€™t like e-stats (just curious)?

My Focal Clears feel like wearing speakers, partially because of the weight but I think there are other reasons. It doesnā€™t mean I donā€™t still love them. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I really like e-stats. When they are speakers.

9 Likes

I like them as speakers also. But I confess Iā€™d be more able to afford Magnepan 3.7i than the Martin Logan CLX Art. The Quad ESL-2912 is nice, but of these 3 planar choices, only the CLX is cat-proof.

Yes, Iā€™m aware that the Maggie isnā€™t an e-stat. But thereā€™s not much else to which it compares.

1 Like

And thatā€™s why dogs > cats. LOL

3 Likes

I think DACs over 1K are too good for 95% of headphone amps. 95% of headphone amps canā€™t get the best out of 1K+ dacs.

3 Likes

Roon is a steaming pile of manure.

If the placebo effect can lead to greater happiness or satisfaction then we should be looking to leverage it, not fight it.

Lots of audiophiles have no idea what live music sounds like.

2 Likes

While valid, some of the observations/experiences shared are less ā€œconfessionsā€ and might be more appropriate in this thread:

1 Like

i learned hotel california sucks prior to 2020, but will consider other confessions in the linked thread. :wink:

2 Likes

True confessions regardless of time domain are still appropriate here :ok_hand:t3:. We donā€™t need to restrict the other thread to 2020 enlightenment, unless you find another learned thread that isnā€™t 2020 restricted.

But I view your hotel breakthrough as a confession @PastorOfMuppets!

1 Like

Why does Roon suck? Iā€™m curious what your take isā€¦been using it for weeks as part of the trial. I love it so far other than the priceā€¦

2 Likes

In no particular order:

The company defends poor performance and resource intensive behavior as if it were handed down from the gods that his program must hog everything it can get to be good, rather than looking for elegant, or efficient solutions.

The control scheme of what zone is playing what when is from a different generation, and sucks with a large amount of endpoints and several devices which serve as both remotes and endpoints.

The company has begun a policy of requiring hardware manufacturers to become ā€œcertifiedā€, which slows innovation and progress in other areas while marketing kowtows to their demands.

Installing lights that tell you when something is mqa, bit perfect or lossy leads to light chasing, not music listening.

They are part of the MQA movement.

The only thing worse than Roon is everything else Iā€™ve tried.

1 Like

To be fair on this point, itā€™s not really meant to be a music player like Foobar2k. Itā€™s meant to be a music server.

Itā€™s more akin to running a full SQL database than it is to regular ā€œuserā€ software. It wants dedicated resources and connectivity, with something else serving as the front end - another PC, Phone, Tablet, etc. In that vein, it also wants the resources it needs when it needs it.

A company doesnā€™t turn off their SQL server at night when no one is using it, and for good reason. Roon is kinda like that to a lesser degree. Sure, really powerful home computers may not suffer from the higher demands Roon will have, but I wouldnā€™t run it from a laptop or older pc, or anything with slower spinning disks and low RAM, if that device were also a daily driver for other stuff.

Just my 2Ā¢

2 Likes

But, but, but it didnā€™t say ā€œwell thought out, fair minded audiophile opinionsā€ in the title. :grin:

I agree with everything you said, I pay for Roon, I just go nuts every time I have to kill an endpoint that has soaked up 90% of an i9 with 32 GB of ram.

It could be ALOT better and still have a long way to go.

3 Likes

I talk about quitting but I donā€™t really want to.

1 Like

Say what huh? :flushed: Sheesh, I have never seen that. No wonder itā€™s driving you nuts.

Is that 90% ram utilization, or it has the CPU pegged at 90%? The troubleshooting side of my brain has an itch. Youā€™ve got me curious.

3 Likes

Uhhh, thatā€™s a very daring statement, especially since many of us have one or the other direct reference to music, for example by playing a musical instrument, being a member of a band or a choir, mixing music ourselves, or at least - through live concerts in the youth found this hobby, etc.

4 Likes

Admittedly, I had this problem recently, an extremely high CPU utilization around 90-95%, temperatures around 70 degrees and permanent fan activity.

Unfortunately, no research into the cause has revealed anything.
Since I have been using roon for a while and have never had any problems so far, I assumed that one of the later installed programs in combination with the use of roon caused this problem.

So I backed up all relevant data and set up my PC again.

A lot of work, but everything has been going perfectly since then.

Here, for example, roon runs in the background and I use both office 365 and the internet.

The measured values are absolutely normal:

3 Likes

Hmmā€¦

• I will NEVER buy a Porta Pro

• Audio equipment HAS to look good - also

• My wife is in the dark about the real amount I have spent on audio :open_mouth: :smiling_imp:

• I have bought audio things so stupid, I will never admit itā€¦

• I love to use Spotify

I hope salvation is possible :flushed:

7 Likes

62B45BA7-2EF9-408A-99BF-9AE4B716B0FB

C5EEEF51-98F3-41AC-984A-F6808543E2A4

:wink:

8 Likes