Current Set-Up Pics - Official Picture Thread

Thanks. Yeah, the Elrogs are incredible! Can’t keep them out long enough to get the WE’s burned in. Hard not to just listen to them all the time.

Grats on the beautiful setup! I know it’s apples to oranges but any thoughts regarding the susvaras on the envy vs the folkvangr? I’m surprised how quiet the envy page has gotten.

1 Like

Love it, great setup!

All I can say is, it fills me with (rimshot)

Envy!

1 Like

Thank you!

Yeah, it really is. The Folkvangr can’t really run the Susvara properly…. not a good combo at all Imo. Not nearly enough oomph. The Sus sounds better from both my V280 and THX887.
Generally speaking, everything sounds good on the Envy so far… Though I haven’t tried all my headphones on it yet and there’s a lot of variance to be had in tube rolling.

The HD800S is more in the Folkvangr’s wheelhouse.

5 Likes

I second that !! I haven’t heard one yet but it’s a beauty!

Congrats!!

I’m pretty much set on the ss side for driving the susvara (may kte / freya+ / parasound a21+) but have been planning to get a tube amp with enough grunt to drive the sus which the envy seems to do exceedingly well.
If you decide to get the may dac I think you’ll love it. It’s overkill for me since I mostly listen to qobuz but I figured buy once, cry once.
Btw curious if you’ve tried any zmf’s on the envy yet? I have the atrium and I’m guessing they’d sound sublime.

2 Likes

Yes, definitely!! I don’t ever turn it past about 9 o’clock (hi-gain)….tons of headroom.

I don’t have any ZMF’s yet. I hear good things about Envy-ZMF pairing though.

Move over ZMF, there’s a new wooden headphone game in town

(These were a fun little DIY project my gf got me for christmas. They sound like complete ass but they feel surprisingly sturdy. Nicer headband than the average hifiman/grado)

12 Likes

I haven’t seen volume pots on each headphone cup since I threw away my VERITAS headphones in about 1975.

1 Like

Hah those are not pots, just really chunky fasteners for the 3.5mm jacks

3 Likes

Wow, IKEA getting into the headphones game too? :wink:

2 Likes

That does indeed look like a fun project. How bad do they sound? Are they OK for casual use or are they so bad you just say …no? I wonder if one could put other transducers in there, like a set of PX-100’s. And that they have 3.5mm connectors at the cups, wow.

How is the fit for an average sized adult head?

1 Like

They are pretty unlistenable, seems like there’s a massive peak somewhere in the mids. They’re just slightly too big for me but I have a large head. Might fit someone with a smaller head. I could see it being a fun mod platform if you threw some proper drivers in there!

1 Like

My first two purchases of 2023 will be used to pair with the SP3000. It is the WA8 and Utopias.

6 Likes

My first purchase of 2023 is in the EDC thread. The box ain’t here yet:

Hmmm. and why is the EDC thread in the General IEM Discussion area and not MISC?

I think it was originally about EDC IEMs, in other words, daily drivers.

This is the full chain:
PS Audio Stellar PowerPlant 3 → Antipodes S60 → Antipodes S30 → FTA Callisto → Antipodes S20 → AudioQuest Carbon AES (incoming) → Rockna Wavedream Edition Balanced → DHC Prion4S XLR interconnects → Linear Tube Audio Z10e

Headphones:
Hifiman Susvara (DHC Prion4 from speaker taps)
MySphere 3.2 (Norne Custom)
Final Audio D8000 Pro Limited Edition (DHC Prion4)
Sennheiser HD650 Black Silk

Speakers are preamped for volume control from the Z10e to Genelec G Threes with Audience AU24SE RCA interconnects

My only planned addition is the Zahl HM1 when it arrives and two upgrades - Audience AU24 AES cable and of course the chase for the Wavedream Signature Balanced. Probably some tube rolling as well.

16 Likes

That’s some serious matching!

Question: I spy a roon server (presumably) on the floor - I build one exactly like it - but also an Antipodes Music Server. Why both? Or do you flip between them?

3 Likes

Great question!
I got the Antipodes stack this morning, bought used and it was sold as a complete S30/S20/S60 stack so I plan to compare the roon ROCK server with S30 as player to the S30 as both server and player and decide what/how I want it to run.
Antipodes recommends adding a S40 to do server work and leave the S30 to be just a player so I’m thinking there’s a chance I keep the ROCK but don’t know yet.

6 Likes

Awesome. Please do keep me posted. I’m constantly debating whether to stick to Roon NUC + DDC vs finding a dedicated server that was built for music from the ground up.

3 Likes