Ferrum Audio - Official Thread

Probably why it’s not come up on my radar. Thanks

1 Like

My source is a Sony HAP-Z1ES. I do also own a RME ADI-2DAC FS but out of convenience, i use the HAP-Z1ES the most.

1 Like

The Oor / Hypsos combo is my solid state point of diminishing returns that I am glad I dont feel the urge to go past.
Wonderful!

2 Likes

I agree. Planars on a OTL (ZOTL) is not that impressive. I’ve only own lower end Hifi Man headphones and was disappointed on the MicroZOTLs. So, I bet the TOTL planars would not be different.

Oor/Hypsos is still in the running for me. Going to wait till after Canjam to make an amp choice. Hopefully get a chance to try some stuff and sharpen my focus on what I’m looking for.

I hope you get a chance to audition them.

1 Like

Thanks. I’d imagine I’ll get a chance and I’m taking my Susvara with me. Which makes me a wee bit nervous honestly.:grimacing: But I want to make sure I get to try everything I’m hoping to with my cans.

From what I’ve heard, you will not be disappointed.
Cheers!

I had the Ferrum stack and loved it. For a while it also had a Woo Audio WA22 as the preamp and that added some nice holographicness and richness to the mids.
I sold both when I got the Enleum though…

Has anyone compared the TT2 vs the Ferrum Oor+Hypsos?
How do they compare on detail ,soundstage, macrodynamics?

I was brought to tears when I recreated and augmented my original headfi set up with the LTA MZ2 preamping into Oor/Hypsos bypass mode and my first “true” headphones, HD 650.
Warm and expansive…
Just absolutely stunning!

4 Likes

Made a custom Pelican case for Hypsos + Oor so I can take them to meets, travel to/from an office, etc.

Made a similar case for HM1, as well…

11 Likes

Wow, that is DEDICATION. And totally something I would do. lol Well done sir!

2 Likes

I wonder in which order to stack the Ferrum devices.

Current configuration:
Oor (bottom)
Erco
Hypsos

Oor is very hot in operation, but the Ferrum site notes that “The hottest will be the bottom of the device, because the internal heat sink is located there”

I’m interested in working this out.

Currently Oor and Wandla are separated, but I want to stack them and will eventually get Hypsos so knowing where it all goes would be great.

I have a Raspberry Pi for streaming, I’m hoping I can get that on the very top of whatever config of the Ferrum stuff.

1 Like

I emailed Ferrum and asked what configuration they recommended for stacking Oor, Hypsos, Erco and Wandla and this is their response……

“Thank you for contacting us.

There is no particular order of stacking:) We stack our devices as we are comfortable or as needed.”

So I’m assuming there isn’t enough heat to be of concern. If it were me, I would put whatever component generates the most heat on the top.

3 Likes

Has anyone compared Erco with Wandla?

I’m torn between getting my Erco upgraded to gen 2, or just buying a Wandla… Curious how the staging, smoothness/timbre, and separation improve with it.

Haven’t tried the Erco 2, but Wandla was a very significant step up from Erco 1 imo. I actually wasn’t too much of a fan of Erco 1

1 Like

I’ve not heard either, but I highly doubt an all-in-one will best a standalone component if sound quality is the priority. All-in-one solutions are more of a compromise by nature.

2 Likes

From my own impressions Erco 1 is a little dry. Smooth timbre, but with a slight grainy texture behind it. And treble has a subtle glare. It’s punchy and fast, but a little too harsh. Pinpoint imaging but only medium stage. Gen 2 is meant to fix most of that. But I’m sure Wandla is far above.

I’m probably just worrying about the price. Which usually fades, and I end up buying anyway :woozy_face: