General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I am actually using the Neutron music player, but I did happen to come across UAPP when I was looking for music players. My source is downloaded FLAC. When I check the files on my phone, the extension is FLAC. It also shows up as FLAC in the Neutron music player.

2 Likes

Hi pennstac, I appreciate the warm welcome. I do like the format of this forum, where everyone is just able to continuously reply to this thread. I will definitely look at other responses and hope to learn more here.

4 Likes

I have Neutron also, for some time, but its interface drives me crazy, so I don’t use it very often. Some people love it, and tell me that once I really learn it, it is very logical and consistent. That’s what they told me about database programming in Helios also.

UAPP integrates with other players and some streaming sources. It’s necessary on high-resolution files on Android because Android does some things to limit data output. If you search UAPP here you will have MUCH better explanations about when and why.

These days I use iPhone and iPads and only have one recent Android tablet, which is why I defer to those who use it more intensively. I do have UAPP on the 'droid tablet.

2 Likes

Need a tube amp ladies. For Auteur, maybe Z1R.

Let’s go sub $1000.

Crack? Crackatwoa? Feliks Echo?

What’s the go to.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Hi guys

I am a new member and this is my first post … I’m looking for some advice regarding Schiit Audio gear as I find their website confusing … I own Schiit Magni 3 + and Modi stack and want to try their other stuff and want to know which is their top of the range gear ? My budget is around £1000 - £1500 I’m also interested in their Tube Amplifiers any suggestions please ?

I own Audioquest Dragonfly Red , Chord Mojo & Poly as well as the Schiit’s Magni & Modi … Headphones includes Meze 99 Classics and Nuraphone headphones plus Campfire Audio Polaris 2 IEMs.

Also looking for Best Closed back Headphones want to move up the chain to try some of the best/flagship Headphones available ? Budget is £1000 - £1500

I listen to every genre of Music but prefer the Headphones to be warm with very clear midrange and Vocals I’m also open to the idea of buying two Headphones to meet this criterion as I believe you can’t have everything in a single Headphone.

Tried my best to explain what I’m looking for I apologise in advance if I made a mistake or not explained it clear enough.

Thanks

4 Likes

UAPP is essentially simpler and more user friendly than Neutron. Both work very well.
UAPP is just easier to understand and is a good help especially when starting.
As a starting point Wavelt associated with UAPP would be a good solution: Wavelet integrates with most Android music players and is a very basic equaliser which has also a database from which you can auto eq your headphones.
@Allize I believe you got the point from most of the community posts: no rush, try to understand what you need and like.
I would suggest to no one to start investing a lot of money without experience and without a basic idea of personal tastes.
Try to build a solid base that can make you feel the improvement of your first step in comparison to what you had.
Read, get informed, try things.
Little by little you’ll discover what you like and what is important for you.
Audioquest and IFI products are good basic products with which one can start and are generally user friendly.
Take your time and remember that all in all we’re just talking about instruments that will help you enjoy music.

3 Likes

Did I legit just ask a question very very specifically aligned with your next show. Or did I ask a question and you’ve very quickly pounced on my intalektual properti?

2 Likes

Yes?

Maybe?

I’m new here. It’s my first day.

Halp

7 Likes

I sue u

Top tube amps under $1000 was my idea for a question

3 Likes

Welcome to the community.
About Schiit you already have good products.
I make you a question instead of give you a quick answer: what improvement are you looking for?
It isn’t always (luckily) a question of how much you spend but a question of find what you’re looking for.
Look and read in the threads on the forum and try to focus on what specifically you’re looking for.
If you use single ended cables Asgard 3 would be an upgrade.
If you use balanced cables Jotunheim would be the upgrade (and you can use for single ended too).
Lyr 3 would be a good tube based amp. It will allow you to experience some tube rolling changing one tube only and it will help to save money.
Bifrost would be a better DAC in Schiit’s line than Modi.
But all this is theory.
Try to understand what you feel you need and what will improve you music enjoyment.
Same goes about headphones.

3 Likes

I have actually used Wavelet in the past and I might have the paid version. The auto eq is great feature they have. I think I can understand the basic equalizer (4-8 bands). But when I looked at parametric EQ (in general), that looked very complicated.

I definitely do need to build up my experience. I guess I am just kind of confused. It makes sense to not invest a lot of money right away without enough experience. There might be a high end audio shop in my state where I may be able to try out headphones, but I am not sure if I will get a lot out of it with the limited time. I am also concerned about spending too much money while building up a solid base and then having to sell the products later down the road.

Maybe it just feels a bit overwhelming at first. I will try to read/learn things and not rush.

1 Like

A good quality Dap is what I would suggest. It was game changing for me personally. Though your circumstances and usage will differ from mine ofcourse.

3 Likes

All truly excellent advice @pennstac. Everyone should take note. I know from personal experience how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement and hype when getting new gear. This is why I find the advice so very good.

3 Likes

A good, dedicated musical digital transport is always a good place to start. And nowadays there are a lot of good DAPs that won’t cost an eye.

2 Likes

Most definitely. Especially if you are a big iem user. Whatever your type of transducer the whole chain is also very important too. IMHO.

1 Like

Have a good base built with clear ideas and keep on.
I often suggest Dragonfly Cobalt for this reason: it isn’t the most powerful solution, it isn’t the best solution but gives you an electrically clean signal and it doesn’t cost a fortune.
Get informed and make your choices growing on you.
Another good solution as @prfallon69 wrote is a DAP. A dedicated digital transport solution for music makes a good difference very often.
Check the DAPs thread. @antdroid did a very useful selection for beginners and it is a good point to start from.

2 Likes

Neutron is a fine piece of software. Many options though can gat a little complex. I use it too sometimes.

3 Likes

Anyone using Nvidia Shield Pro. I picked one up and it does a good job as a TV streamer. HDMI and USB outputs. Roon cast capable. I also use it with Sirius XM.

I just provided this thought to a gentleman in your shoes just the other day.

I think the key take away from someone who is new to audio, which includes myself, at about 6 months now. It’s a must you approach this with an open mind as you have not tried a variety of wired headphones or accompanied equipment.

Second, rather than invest in something pricey. Try an array of headphones. I’m no expert and I do not expect you take my advice. But I will explain further below somethings you should consider without a doubt.

You want to buy a stellia? But what if you were able to get the Focal Elex an open back headphone, at 700 and get 66% of the performance of the stellia in some places and possibly better performance in other aspects. Why would you strictly pay an extra 2300 for having closed back and a performance jump that isn’t so far ahead. This is simply something to think about, and why you should maintain an open mind.

Yet have a 400% jump in performance with the Elex vs the Sony’s.

You can then try different headphones, purchase better equipment Dac/amp. A world of options. I’m certain that there will be a handful of headphones that are open back and also cheaper than the stellia but have a much more equal performance at a lower price.

It does not matter if money is no object, it comes down to what sounds best for you. You may spend 10,000 on closed back headphones and then one day find out you like open back better.

I have not read all your comments, I do not know if you are trying to either block noise from your surroundings if it is noisy or if you do not want others to hear what you are listening to because it’s a disturbance. I see you mentioned you will be having them for home use so those factors shouldn’t be factored.

First, if it’s noise pollution from your residence you can turn up the volume, and yet no one will hear what you are listening to as the surrounding sounds will cancel. If it is quiet you won’t need to listen at ear bleeding volumes, which means sound leaking out won’t be an issue.

I will read your comments and edit this post if needed

My suggestion is go the opposite direction of what you want and you would be pleasantly surprised. I’m not asking you to invest a lot of money on this purchase and again would highly recommend not investing a large amount of money regardless of what route you take.

You can go with a HiFiman Sundara. $350

If you are willing to get good sound or even great sound with a bit of EQ you can try the HarmonicDyne Zeus. ~$350

There’s too many variables to headphones and if you’re not dishing out cash you probably aren’t going to receive multiple check marks on that list of variables. So first figure what it is you like and narrow in on a pair of headphones that posses a variation of those variables in a single headphone at a decent price.

Just some decent entry level headphones that you are sure to enjoy. I’m certain someone here will give you some more headphones to try or already have mentioned great entry pair of headphones.

Any headphones I get now I love because from the trash I used to use, to not knowing what is the ultimate best sound makes each experience grand. Especially from the Sonys.

We are not asking you to become a full fledged audiophile, some people only want one pair of headphones which is perfectly fine. But prior to reaching that point you need to realize what is the best option for you by having sufficient amount of experience with the many varieties and variables headphones posses.

Which is why spending 2000 on headphones and then finding out you enjoy a 1000 dollar pair far better just because you didn’t want to give it a shot is double the loss. In comparison trying 2-3 400 dollar pairs and then invest whatever your heart desires on something high end and have the ability to make a proper decision with experience.

2 Likes