Headphone Cables/Builds w/ Pictures - DIY

$300 for a balanced cable (in audiophile-land) isn’t horrible.

Yeah. We have a local guy who builds lovely tube amps for speakers, they happen to sound great pushing headphones.

I have some extended barrell Eidolic plugs here I bought a while back for the D8000 Pro. Unsure how securely they’ll fit in.

You misunderstand what I said, the SE cable is $500, the 4 pin XLR cable is $679 ($779 for the longer one), and the only difference is the 4pin XLR connector on the end. (thought the difference was even more than that.)

100% wouldn’t buy a Final cable. I’d either just reterm their thick boi or cut the plugs off and use them on a custom cable. Snip snip.

Oh damn. That’s a bit insane.

Yeah, I must have misread what you posted. Apologies

1 Like

The stock black cable is super super thick, then on the inside, this super fine little wire. The silver one is bit thicker inside. Such bulky cables

I’d suggest a 12 pack of Trojans®️ and a long term care insurance policy.

4 Likes

My first attempt at making an audio cable.

For use with the HiFiMan Sundara and HE-6SE V2, no shielding, but it works like a charm. By that I mean it didn’t blow up my cans and short my amp haha.

Can I sit with you guys at the cool kid lunch table now?

3 Likes

Shield for nothing and chics for free.

Congrats on the cable. :clap: :clap: :clap:

2 Likes

I recently finished my HE-6se cable. I nearly lost my sanity doing those two 4-wire braids lol. Total cost was about $25.

If your buying the same 3.5mm Rean connectors I used for another HE-6se, make sure they’re the current rev which has the extended jack. Though I imagine there’s hardly any old ones floating around considering how popular these are for DIY cables.
The splitter I used worked great except that it has has a slot instead of two separate wire holes. I used heat shrink to ensure it never slides down the cable.

BOM
2X Neutrik Rean NYS226BG 3.5mm Mono, $1.33
Neutrik NC4MXX-B Male 4-Pin XLR, $4.60
AliExpress 8-Wire Prebraided cable, $10 for 5m
AliExpress Cable Splitter, $3.77

Here’s a photo with them connected. The Rean connectors look a bit bulky on them. If anyone knows of a good, more compact alternative, let me know.

16 Likes

Great work. Pre/post splitter wires look different. Do you have the BOM reference for the post-splitter wire? Looks like a 4-wire braided version?.

Thanks!

99% sure the pre is 8 wire factory braid, and the post is hand braided 4 wire from the same wire.

His BOM is a couple posts up.

did you do this one? I like the way yours looks.

Start with the four wires side by side.

a. Take the leftmost wire and cross it OVER its TWO neighbors.

b. Take the rightmost wire and cross it OVER its ONE neighbor.

c. Take the leftmost wire and cross it UNDER its TWO neighbors.

d. Take the rightmost wire and cross it UNDER its ONE neighbor.

5 Likes

Yes that’s right.

The braid method I used was learned from this video. Which I think is the same one you’re describing. If I were to to do it over again, I’d probably try to a different braid style that matches the original braid more closely. That thought didn’t occur to me until after I finished lol

6 Likes

The thought occurred to me that I’m never braiding wires again.

2 Likes

I find it easiest to count the 4 moves in your head, 1,2,3,4.

Only ever do it in sets of 4, and count it.

Once you lost track, or need to pause, you’re stuffed.

I use the same method, but reversed.

1 Like

Not really a cable build, but:

Ancient grados revived!

10 Likes

Hello everyone

i have and old beats hd (1 i think), and the right side stop working, no sound it’s coming out of it, so i was wondering if it is worth to try fixing it, they are like 6 years old tho…

¡Ay, Eugenio! Most of us here would suggest fixing the Beats by tapping the good side repeatedly con almádena.

3 Likes

Bro you are everywhere, i’m so lucky.

Yeap i was thinking someone could suggest that :joy: :joy: :joy:.

1 Like