Headphone Stands

This is a very serviceable headphone stand. I have three of them. ZMF also makes beautiful wood stands, but for sturdy & secure stands, the Perch is hard to improve upon.

Only thing I don’t like is the base could be soft lined so connectors don’t clunk and scuff.

My vote for most cost effective stand. Drop sold these for awhile. Very stable. No sharp edges on the headphones. It even has cable organization.

My ZMF lambskin pads left stains on my Borykworkshop headphone stand. My stand is a light-colored wood, Olive Ash Burl. Does anyone have a recommendation for something to use to get this off? I’m afraid to use rubbing alcohol or anything harsh.

The consequences of being made of metal…:grinning:

Bee’s wax polish is a good product.

1 Like

It appears that they use Danish oil to finish the wood.

Danish oil is very common and used in high quality wood products, but not as tough as sealing polyurethane.

There are many sources on finishing and refinishing Danish oil (e.g., Source 1, Source 2). You may need to sand and apply more Danish oil to get rid of the stains, but the pads will likely stain it again.

Beware of sanding through the wood, as the description mentions using a veneer. Also, you’ll need something to keep the leather from the wood going forward. This may be a wax finish (which could also rub off on your ZMF pads; @rrwwss52) or polyurethane or a temporary plastic barrier / film.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I’ll try something super mild like a damp cloth first. If it doesn’t come off, it’s ok. I only see the marks when the headphones are in use.

1 Like

Hey guys, this is a new stand that I made called The Blue Heron. Made of European walnut and finished with Osmo hard wax oil.

11 Likes

Beauty, how long did it take to make?!

1 Like

More than I want to admit :slight_smile: This one I made for a month. I had some setbacks, but the next one I will try to make faster. Sanding is the biggest culprit. I sand every curve with different grit size sandpaper strips.

4 Likes

very nice… it shows how much work you put into it…

1 Like

Thank you. First, I draw it on the wood and try to use the grain pattern to emphasize the curves. Then I cut it out with a jigsaw and sand the contours with a drum sander that I made from a drill press. I take the edges with the router and then the big sanding begins :slight_smile: I shape and sand the bird by hand with a different grit sandpaper strips 80, 120, 180, 220. Then I joint it together with mortise and tenon joint and strong PU wood glue, sand it again with 220 to remove glue and dirt spots from the glueing. I finish it with Osmo polyx hard wax oil, wait a couple of days to cure, then sand it again with 600 and put another coat.

and my favorite wood… thanks for sharing how you created it…

1 Like

Beautiful work. You could use that headphone stand as a weapon :grimacing:

1 Like

That was the original idea :slight_smile:

2 Likes