I'm looking for comparisons between the Schiit Asgard 3 and Lyr 3

So the Asgard 3 has been absolutely amazing. Currawong says it isn’t that far behind the Lyr at all. Anyone able to describe the differences? Would be mighty appreciated. Be as romantic as you want. Say things like vocals have the character of a wet finger running along the edge of a wine glass. I promise not to call anyone crazy.

8 Likes

This made me laugh! I haven’t compared them yet, I think @ProfFalkin would be the go to for this question?

7 Likes

Only comment I would have is to pass on the Lyr3 DAC module if you go that route. Great little headphone amp, but the DAC module seemed like an afterthought.

3 Likes

Ha!

I had the original ASGARD and LYR…sold both after a few months…

Recently I have several Schiit products in house and a few beta items…Schiit has come a loooong way
in the past few years from their early days.

Comments on the Lyr 3. Gosh its a superb, sublime amp. Worth every penny to me. Full power with the SE outputs, drives most anything…

Compared to the ASGARD 3, its really close. At times either one is the best, my subjective brain prefers the Lyr 3 over the Asgard 3…Seems that the tube sound us more there than the Asgard…but the price of the Asgard is $199…and the Lyr3 is $499…more than double the price…more power from the Lyr3…but gosh they both have more than enough power etc…

Both are great amps compared to their predecessors for sure…If I had to choose one it would be the Lyr 3…I get to change tubes!

Alex
:grinning:

7 Likes

I’m looking at the Asgard 3 as my next purchase. I’ve heard a lot of good things about it and it seems like a bargain at this price point.

6 Likes

Excellent choice! …

2 Likes

Thanks. I have the modi multibit built into my Asgard 3 already anyway. It doesn’t measure great, but I love its sound.

Thank you so much. Mind sharing stock tubes vs the upgraded option on Schiit’s website?

It is superb. Really good synergy with the MM which is normally kind of condensed sounding. Made up for by the amp. Not for people wanting a balanced, wide sound. It’s engaging, kind, forgiving, and has a nice weight on the bottom end. Plus $50 less ordered built into the amp. Pairs great with the HD 650 and Atticus. Not so much things like an Elex. Those headphones I prefer a CTH + SDAC.

1 Like

I think the Lyr 3 can be more flexible in regards to sound because… tubes. I also think it has better depth of stage, by a tiny bit. Lyr 3 is the slightly better amp imo, but throw $ into the mix, and the Asgard makes a strong case for saving some cash and putting it toward a Bifrost 2 or other such upgrade.

I am using the A3 on my rig now and don’t have to deal with tube wear and tear, and enjoy the synergy it has with the Teaks. I still prefer the Auteur with the BHC as it conveys the butter/gravy richness better without losing detail. The Teak don’t synergize well with tubes as it’s pretty low Z. Yummy.

I know nothing, John Snow.

6 Likes

Dont take the measuring part seriously…as you state “I love the sound” this is what its all about!

The debate over DS vs MB R2R dacs is legandary…and sometimes really heated…

Enjoy your A3 or Lyr 3 with whatever dac!!

Alex

3 Likes

I bought a Lyr3 a couple of years ago and ended up trading it back toward a Mjolnir2. The DAC module wasn’t for me. I thought the Lyr3 headphone section was solid though.

1 Like

I dont have any i/o boards in mine, just exteral B2 into the Lyr 3…

The MJ2 is also an excellent choice…

1 Like

Why skip over the JOTUNHEIM? $400. The model between the Lyr and the Asgard.
JOTUNHEIM was recommended by Schiit for pairing with new Bifrost 2.

2 Likes

Unless schiit did a silent revision on the jotunhiem I’d pass. Had it not long after release and it was good for the time but had a little bit of a noisy floor, sounded compressed in comparison to other amps, and could be harsh at times. If this is your first step up from $100ish amps then it’s good but I think there’s better options now. I was using the early version of the amp with the dac module. When I used the smsl su-8 dac with it (which probably wasn’t the best option) it was better but I still would take the thx amps over it. I think schiits newer items are better. I’d trust the community and go with the Lyr 3 or asgard 3. I listened to feedback about the Bifrost 2 and wasn’t disappointed.

5 Likes

Is an OK dac amp, but I do agree, it can be harsh at times when used as just an amp.

At any rate I would go Lyr3 over the Jotu now that I have experience with tubes.

1 Like

I own the Asgard 3 and am looking to step up without going full Mjolnir. Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The Schiit recommendation is based on having a balanced out to a balanced input on the Jotenheim. I have all these amps…and the SE out of the Jot is great, and the balanced is as well…more power.

Some folks think the Jot is warm, congested etc…IMO it works well, but I prefer the Lyr3 head and shoulders over the Jot, the A3 second…

6 Likes

I use both the SE and Balanced outputs of the Jot, with Aeon 2 Opens and both sound very much alike.

The Lyr3 has the most power available with only SE output…and you get all the latest tech in the Lyr 3, Coherence and Continuity…

4 Likes

I suspect there were revisions. Sbaf did a thread on this, and I’ve personally owned 2 Jotunheims. The first was purchased the first day orders opened up, and I would say your experience somewhat matched mine sonically, although I don’t remember ever hearing a grain or static in the background, or a compressed sound.

The second was much less bright and seemed improved over initial release. A friend has one, and it seems similarly even toned. It’s based on this that I feel confident on making the recommendation.

5 Likes