Massdrop Sennheiser HD58X - Official Thread

The perforated sheepskin pads I got for my 6XXs were too small for my big ears. To the point where they weren’t comfortable at all. I haven’t have these issues on non-oval Sennheiser Dekoni pads but I wouldn’t recommend these ones if you have big 'ol ears.

1 Like

Are you speaking of Yaxi or Dakoni? Dakoni are reputed to be slightly smaller but the Yaxi link above leads to their site; on which I just read they are slightly larger inside than the stock (oval) pads.

(Not sure why you mentioned round ones, unless there’s some company adapting round pads for the all oval Senn HD5/6 line?)

It’s a bit confusing as there are now a lot of different Asian HD58X/6XX pads, whereas in the past there were none. I always wondered why no one had jumped on it…then everyone did!

1 Like

Have they changed over the years? I bought my HD-580s when they first came out, and the original earpads are still just fine.

1 Like

How often do you wear them and how many other pair of HPs do you own?
I find that after a couple of years of use they flatten to the point that the drivers begin to touch/vibrate against my ears through the foam liner.

1 Like

I wore them a lot in the first 3 or 4 years that I had them. Then occasionally in the last 15-20 years. These were my primary “normal” setup headphones. By which I mean when I wasn’t sitting down with the STAX from my living room stereo where the turntable lived.

I discovered Yaxi when I was searching for replacements for my HD25’s. These headphones sound great but they have a lot of clamping. They are on-ear so the pressure is uncomfortable after a awhile.

The Yaxi Comfort pads add thickness and the alcantara material is very soft. I really enjoy the HD25’s now.

I won’t get the Senn 5xx/6xx pads until the end of June. I will post once I get them and try them out.

3 Likes

I look forward to your impressions. If they’re actually made in Japan they’re likely of high quality. I don’t need any right now so the wait is no problem and the price is about the same for what appear to be superior pads

2 Likes

I’ve heard nothing but good things about the Yaxi pads (this is too close to another pad don’t say it out loud 3x fast lol…yes I am a child trapped in a mans body :wink: )

Especially with comfort… I may have to look at them again…I just don’t have any Senns in the 5-6 series anymore…I might pick up a 6xx again…but we’ll see.

1 Like

So, I was messing around with the felt mod on these and tried going with a smaller hole than previously (not much more than a pinhole). I enjoyed the sound and it sounded a bit familiar, so I measured it. To my surprise, I had accidentally turned the HD58X into a bright LCD2C!

HEQ compensated measurements from MiniDSP E.A.R.S.

pinhole_felt

Yup, that’s sub-bass extension right there!

1 Like

Just for kicks and giggles, here’s the stock HE-560 added to the mix.

1 Like

If I eq in the 2 KHz dip from the HE-560, the felt-modded HD58X tuning does sound quite a bit like what I remember of the standard Hifiman tuning, pretty well extended bass, smooth mid-range, a little bright and pretty relaxed. Very interesting.

1 Like

Can’t wait to try mine with a proper DAC/amp and the new pads!

1 Like

Of course they have pads for other headphones. I almost want to get another pair of Koss on-ears just to try out the Yaxi replacement pads.

1 Like

Okay, I’m really digging the small-hole felt mod.

This is the felt - https://www.acehardware.com/departments/home-and-decor/indoor-furniture/protective-furniture-pads/5021993

Hole size is 2mm (made with a leather punch).

As is, this sounds pretty great, but there’s a few problem spots that benefit from mild EQ (no more than 2dB).

1. Sub-bass is pretty well extended but just a tad too low in level
  2. Bass is a little too thin
  3. Vocals and horns need a little more presence at around 2 Khz
  4. Brushed snares are over the top, needs a cut around 9.5 KHz

2 Likes

I thought the felt mod involved a thinner piece of felt, like type available at craft stores. I was told that the furniture pads were too thick.

http://download1773.mediafire.com/zl379fkffyyg/8dr7hp34vq11aag/HD58X+evaluation.pdf

Is there another version of this mod documented somewhere?

1 Like

The pads I linked are actually quite thin, just make sure not to get the “heavy duty” ones which are considerably thicker. I actually did the original non-hole felt mod using crafting felt, and that was about the same thickness as these furniture pads.

2 Likes

Firstly I approve of your picture change. And I always look forward to your insights and charts. Thanks I just had to throw some praise your way on this fine morning in the UK.

3 Likes

Ok. So there is a mod to the mod by putting a small hole in the felt?

1 Like

Yes, it’s covered in the document that you linked.

I got a tip to look into another way of damping the driver by making the hole in the back of the driver smaller. The easiest way to do this is by using felt discs (the ones used under furniture) and making a hole in them. A 20mm to 22mm diameter (3mm thick) self-adhesive felt disc is widely available.
All that needs to be done is make a small hole in the centre. A leather belt punch is perfectly suited for the job. The one I have can make holes from 2mm to 4.5mm in 0.5mm increments.

The benefit of the holed version of the felt mod is that sub-bass extension remains in tact, with the downside being some increase in bass distortion.

1 Like

I’d give it a try but find the bass quality/clarity to be one of the most surprising aspects of the 58X. I’m afraid to start messing with it, as I’m quite happy with the stock sound, using a Cardas SE cable.

One thing I’ve found is that the SQ doesn’t seem to improve as much as the HD650 when run in balanced mode.
Although, the silver balanced cable I use seems more appropriate for the HD650 sound sig.

Perhaps I should try balancing the Cardas cable?

1 Like