MQA Playback & Support

Do you see the master button on the screen when you play it? At the bottom of the screen where Current song playing is main view? Does it say master or hifi?

It shows “Master”. This is a screenshot just taken on my iPhone XS, latest version of iOS and TIDAL, using a standard Apple Lightning to USB 3.0 Adapter into a Chord Hugo 2:

And, again, the sample-rate indicator on the Hugo 2 shows the correct (96 kHz for this track), sample rate.

1 Like

Very interesting. I don’t get the Master ever there. I only get HiFi. Latest version.

“Master” shows up for me with MQA content even without an external DAC or headphones connected (though the iPhone audio system will actually downsample that to 48 kHz for playback on the internal speaker). So I would work on getting that working before worrying about an external DAC.

Beyond that:

• Which iPhone, what version and what version of iOS?

• Which Lightning to USB Adapter (I don’t know if the old “Camera Connection Kit” cables still work for this).

• Do you have “Master” enabled in ALL your streaming options in the TIDAL app?

• If you’re streaming over Cellular not WiFi, is that set to “Master” as well? And if so, do you have “Optimized Playback” turned OFF?

• If you’re playing local downloads, if they were downloaded in HiFi mode you’ll need to make sure you set the “Master” option in the downloads section, then delete the file and re-download it to get the actual MQA version.

1 Like

Iphone XR with ios 12.2.2, tidal 2.7.2 build 1934. I have the Lighting to Camera Adapter (but still not seeing master when that’s not connected), turned off optimized playback, put master on all options (just to test), redownloaded and downloaded albums, turned off downloading by cellular just to eliminate that factor. No matter what I’m still not seeing “master” button at bottom.

1 Like

No idea then, short of deleting the TIDAL app entirely and re-installing it or the actual file you’re playing not being an MQA file (if it doesn’t have the “M” icon, then it’s not MQA and won’t play at anything but it’s normal 44.1 kHz rate). But if it won’t work directly on the device then it’s clearly not the camera adapter or the DAC.

I’ll try the redownload and download again for Tidal app in the next day or so and report back.

I deleted and redownloaded tidal today. It’s working now and showing 96k through SMSL SU-8 and the master button on tidal app.

2 Likes

@Torq=hello am new here and am replying to a 2018 topic of yours’MQA playback& Support’ on my ME2 I suddenly now get only 2-3 white LEDs when playing MQA albums on A+3 and weird electrical ‘pops’ and then the blue LED will flicker on/off plus A+3 says blue LED in left lower corner at say 24/192/flac/mqa or what ever the rate may be and in the right lower corner it says 24/0!!!-- I don’t get the ‘pops’ and flickers when listening directly to TIDAL or on ROON(but never get blue LED on ROON only 3 white LEDs)
with AQDFRed I get a magenta fly and A+3 says 24/192 or even 384 in right lower corner do you know what gives here? the SQ is ok is there something wrong with the ME2? This is sort of a moot point as I am awaiting the arrival of Schiit yggdrasil GS and raganock 2(sic) and will continue to use ME2 and DFRed for comparisons
since I have seen you moniker on other headphone forums could you give me your opinion on my choice of DAC/AMP ?they will be mated to a pair of handmade Legacy Audio Studio HD monitors and I use Sennheiser rs-195s and 598 hds for my headphones (will the Ragg 2 be too much for them?) will only be listening toHD/MASTER/HiRes from TIDAL/Qobuz through their web apps or through ROON and A+3 plus my 800 ripped CDs in apple lossless incorporated into all above above services/players
thanks just happened on this forum and signed up for it hope you get itand reply bobbmd

3 Likes

Welcome. I’ve known a few "Dr. Bob"s in my online days, with good memories. Welcome here.

2 Likes

Welcome @bobbmd.

1 Like

@pennstac thanks for the welcome I can’t say that I remember you but I really only do CA/now audiophilestyle but thanks must mean you never thought I was a ‘troll’ or ‘shrill’ that’s nice to know
any thoughts on what I sent to @Torq especially in regard to what will be most likely my ‘Final Rodeo’/system the Schiit DAC (yggdrasil GS) and amp but especially those Legacy speakers and how those cans will do with the Schiit amp
thanks again
bobbmd

2 Likes

@prfallon69@pennstac-thanks for the reply–never received ‘welcomes’ like this on other forums I read/belong to bobbmd

2 Likes

Let’s start with the MQA stuff (I’ll do a separate post in regards to your other question(s)):

I don’t know which OS you’re running, nor what version, and it seems you’re on an older version of Audirvana (the current is called “Audirvana 3.5”, they dropped the “+” part for the 3.5 release), so unless there’s a good reason not to, you’ll want to update that.

Anything I say here will refer to macOS 10.15, Audirvana 3.5.24, Roon 1.6 (416) … which are the latest versions.

The LEDs on the Meridian Explorer 2 mean the following (LED 1 is the one closest to the printed name of the device, LED 3 the one near the headphone and line-out ports):

• LED 1: Mode - White = PCM, Green = MQA, Blue = Authenticated MQA
  • LED 2: Receiving data at at least 88.2/96 kHz
  • LED 3: Receiving data at 176.4/192 kHz

If LED 3 lights, so should LED 2.

In your Audirvana case, it sounds like it is setup correctly in Audirvana itself (or you’d never get the blue light) but something is interfering with the data stream. If you’re running any plug-ins, EQ, effects etc. then you’ll need to disable them for MQA playback. And Audirvana should should the DAC as an “MQA Decoder” (if not, choose that manually) in its output settings.

Beyond that, either something is interrupting the playback - too much going on with the computer, a problematic USB port/cable, not a big enough buffer set in Audirvana etc. It’s hard to say, though if TIDAL is working correctly (assuming everything else is the same) then it’s probably just Audirvana needing to be updated (especially if you’re on macOS and upgrade to Catalina).

The details at the bottom left of the Audirvana display should indicate the container format (FLAC), if it’s MQA next to that it’ll say “MQA” and there will be either a green or blue dot, which mean the same things as for LED 1 on the Explorer 2, above. Below that will be the sample depth and bit-rate that the particular playing MQA file expands to IF the DAC itself can handle that. Note that this display has no bearing on what your DAC is actually outputting, just what the file is.

The numbers on the bottom right are what Audirvana is actually sending to the DAC, which don’t always make sense (but the “why’s” aren’t relevant and are too much to go into here).

For Roon, it sounds like it just isn’t setup correctly (assuming the same machine, USB port, etc.).

Roon should directly recognize the Meridian Explorer 2 and automatically choose the right settings (if it doesn’t show you a picture of the actual device, something else is wrong). When playing back a file, and clicking on the little light you should see something like this:

If that chain doesn’t show MQA somewhere in the blue line under “Source” then you’ve simply chosen a non-MQA file to replay.

The device settings should be like this:

Your DragonFly Red sounds like it is behaving correctly. The Magenta/Purple light indicates both 96 kHz playback and MQA. Again the numbers in the bottom right of the display do not always makes sense (the highest bitrate it can received is 24/96).

Hope that helps.

2 Likes

In regards to your new DAC, amp, speakers and your headphones …

I’ve no experience with the Legacy Audio Studio HD.

Going by the specs, running flat-out Ragnarok 2 should be able to drive them to about 117 dB/SPL at 1 meter and 111 dB/SPL at 2 meters (etc.).

I’m assuming Yggdrasil GS will sound fundamentally the same as the original Yggdrasil equipped with the USB Gen 5 board. That was one of my favorite DACs. Its signature has a powerful bottom end with excellent slam and impact, and a forthright and detailed treble.

How well that will all go with the speakers will depend on the nature of the speakers and how they’re setup in the room (and, of course, the room itself).

…

In regards to the headphones …

The RS 195 is not much of a factor here. The headphones are going to use their own internal DAC and amp no matter what you do. If you send digital data to the base unit, you’ll skip the ADC step there, otherwise there’s a lot of processing and manipulation going on:

Source -> ADC -> Compression/Encoding -> Wireless Transmission -> Receiver -> Decompression/Decoding -> DAC (in headphone) -> Amp (in headphone).

I doubt what you feed it with is going to be particularly important, and I don’t know how they sound anyway, so on that front I wouldn’t worry about it.

The Sennheiser 598 will work fine out of the Ragnarok 2. They don’t need its power, but they’ll sound pretty much as good as they’re going to in that case. You’ll be well covered if you decided to upgrade them at some point in the future.

2 Likes

@Torq: thank you so much-your descriptions today & way back in 2018 are impeccable
right now on A3.5(sorry i described it incorrectly) latest version now shows blue LED and white LED and doesn’t skip on/off no electrical pops and shows 24/192 in both left and right lower corners TIDAL web page playing masters shows blue LED BUT ROON only gives me 2 white/3 white LEDs and the signal path looks almost identical to what you show(even ‘enhanced’ not ‘lossless’ and one of the grand poobahs at ROON says there is little difference between the two

you may have been correct might have ‘running’ too many other things and am glad it si not the USB board BTW my system is late 2012 Mac Mini i7 16GB RAM with brand new 4TB samsung SSD HD with El Capitan which I will never upgrade

will reread and experiment what you have said tonight have to get back to my office

thank you again response was great and very informative bobbmd

2 Likes

@Torq: again another timely informative response didn’t realize that about the RS-195s but to my ears they sound wonderful and serve their purpose-- to sit on my enclosed back porch or on my 3rd floor where I am ALLOWED to smoke a cigar and have a Lagavulin in freezing cold CNY (the same CFO who ALLOWED me to buy the Schiits and the Legacy Audios won’t let me smoke in MY house! the 598’s do sound better what do suggest i move up to…?
Thanks for reconfirming my decision to go with yggdrasil GS rather than Gungnir MB and with the Ragnarok 2 per Lrgacy(springfield illinois they are supposed to be “butt kickin’”
BTW the Schiits have shipped and the speakers are on their way will keep you posted if you are interested

thanks again bobbmd

2 Likes

As long as you like what you’re hearing all is good. No reason to “move up” unless you feel there’s something you’re missing, or want to change.

Of course it’s common to get a hankering for “something better” or “the next step”, or just “something different” even without having a clearly defined idea of what that might be.

However, I wouldn’t change anything until you’ve spent some time with the new rig. And even then I’d see if there’s something that sticks out that you want to change/improve before actively looking for other cans.

2 Likes

Well one of the other Dr Bobs I knew had a calendar program. It could produce a month of all Sundays, for those times when your better half informed you that she wouldn’t … for a month of Sundays.

Clever man.

1 Like

@Torq: I thought about this and if there is an internal DAC in the rs-195s I think it’s bypassed the signal path is this: mac mini>usb out to either DFRed or ME2 > RCA out directly from either DAC to analog connection on the rs-195 tower> headphones( I don’t use the digital optical option(never even tried it) there is a switch for either digital optical or analog) maybe that’s why it sounds so good as I already have DAC conversion( and am getting 24/88 24/96 24/192)-am i correct? thanks again about being so interested and informative-- I have implied on other forums that this ‘stuff’ about SQ is so subjective and if it’s so good to my old ears(which I think are really good despite all those concerts in that galaxy far far away) then I’ll take your advice and enjoy and incidentally the sound is just as good maybe even better with the HD598’s and in my old system CD’s dvd-a sacd’s all sounded better/cleaner/ better separation etc than anything streaming especially my all time favorites American Beauty and Workingman’s Dead in dvd-a