Power Discussion: Power cables, conditioners, regenerators, surge protectors, outlets, dedicated lines

Some initial impressions of my Ferrum Hypsos, powering my Roon Server and my Chord M-Scaler (as compared to stock, switch-mode power supplies).

While there is a very obvious change in sound signature, it’s not one that I personally feel is a net benefit. Slightly wider sound stage, slightly better placement within the stage, and slightly better focus/transients (and I do mean very slightly), but also a noticeable uptick in noise floor, which I feel is a bigger net loss than the benefits. I no longer hear as much three dimensionality / holography, and am losing some of the magical micro echoes in spaces I was able to pick out before.

I found this signature to be consistent both when powering my Roon server and M-Scaler, but the effects were more noticeable on the Roon server.

For those of you who are used to reading my musings, I am generally all about power and isolation products, and have usually found them to be a net benefit - reluctantly. I researched linear power supplies for quite a long time before springing for the Hypsos (which is technically a “hybrid” power supply), and I was truly expecting this to be a noticeable improvement - but it wasn’t, for me.

Not noticing a difference would have been a bummer. Feeling it’s a net negative is a double bummer. That said, I do think it’s a personal taste type of thing, and for folks whose setups aren’t quite as noise-floor focused, it may be great.

7 Likes