Rebel Audio RebelAmp - Official Thread

While I get your point, comparing two types of fruit for rating sweetness alone doesn’t require blind testing. Non-blind testing still has value.

That is his point. He’s making a joke about people who insist only blind testing will do.

1 Like

Understood. I would have preferred a joke where the naysayers could poke less holes, by mentioning more than one element such as sweetness, acidity, mouth feel, etc.

1 Like

frankly, I doubt his description. He did not even note what type of apple he ate. Granny Smith? Fuji? Pink lady? Honeycrisp? Envy? Gala? Pazazz? Jazz? Red Delicious? Braeburn? Cameo? Holstein? Golden Delicious? Lady Alice? Hidden rose? Ambrosia? Jonagold? Empire? McIntosh? Gravenstein? Liberty? Pacific rose Opal? Mutsu? Winesap?

Details matter in reviews!

2 Likes

Highly suspect! In season vs out of season also isn’t a fair fight.

1 Like

Ask Snow White about Blind Testing apples. NOT a good idea!

4 Likes

Yeah, I have had two headphones burn up in the past year. One by Schiit. One by Topping. And, I have been doing the headphone enthusiast thing for two decades now. Suddenly, there is a surge of burn ups in this race to output tons of power. This is why reading about the Rebel amp has sparked interest.
According to Rebel Audio’s website, the internals are of highest quality components. The Rebel Amp is based on a design from 2004, which is built upon the works of AMB, Morsel, ppl, and tangent. These guys are some of THE original DIY amp pioneers. I used to read thousands upon thousands of their posts on Headwize and Head-fi twenty years ago when I was first trying to build my first amplifier. This is a tried and true design that went through many stages of evolution related to many original designs such as one of my early amplifiers that I owned, the Meta42.
The nostalgia and sentimental pedigree that the Rebel Amp has been built upon makes it super appealing to me. I remember reading about the old AMB amplifiers and the M³ amplifiers but only wishing that I could afford them in my younger unemployed headphone days. All of this makes the Rebel Amp so desirable to me. To read all of the positive praise that this amp has received is icing on the cake. Purchasing this to feed my audio addiction just might be unavoidable at this point, now that I am older and employed.

5 Likes

That’s mad, I’m sorry!

I’ve stuck to the RME Adi-2 dac as I have absolute faith in the RME engineers and they have taken care to include proper safety implementations.

It sounds fantastic to me, I can tweak the sound all I like and I can do so with a remote, sitting afar from the unit :blush:

To keep things on topic however, I’m glad to read this about the Rebel amp. It’s one of the few offerings on the market atm that I might be tempted to purchase out of curiosity/fun.

5 Likes

The RebelAmp (in green) is back in stock! I just purchased one. Not sure how long this batch will be in stock.

Now I gotta go find a power cable.

8 Likes

OMG! So tempting.Thank yo so much for the heads up!

1 Like

:wink:

2 Likes

https://www.monoprice.com/category/cables/power-cords
Starting at $1.29 for 3 prongs.

:thinking:

2 Likes

OMG, lol! I don’t even know what else to say…

got a Rebel on the way.

I’ll be writing a comprehensive comparison of the Rebel amp, THX 789, and Burson Soloist x3 as soon as the Rebel arrives!
Stay tuned!

13 Likes

Can’t wait to hear what you’ve got!

2 Likes

I’d love to hear that review! I am new to the community here but the soloist 3x and the rebel amp are two amps I’m debating about purchasing and I would love to hear if you think the soloist 3x price increase is justified over the rebel amp.

5 Likes

I’m right there with you. I’m leaning to the Rebel because I don’t require a balanced headphone out, but maybe the sound is that much better anyway. BTW, welcome to the community!

4 Likes

Odds are it’ll be ‘better’ or ‘different’ or ‘worse’ in specific scenarios, as the electrical circuits are different. Low volume brands often have high prices because the company is small or located in a high cost place (e.g., taxes, labor), not because the products are better.

1 Like

Agreed. In this hobby, once you hit the point of diminishing returns, 3 times the cost doesn’t mean the product will be 3 times better. In my experience, it’s more like 5% better, if it’s even better at all; it might just be “different” rather than “better.”

With that said, I too am very much looking forward to @reallyoldcob’s comparison.

7 Likes

Just got ups notice that my Rebel amp will arrive tomorrow. I ordered it about a week ago.
Btw they are sold out again. I asked them about why it sold out so soon. They said their order of parts were only partially filled and that they expect to have new units in a month.
Glad we ordered asap. Lol

8 Likes