Rock/Metal music discussion

Now you see I adore Glass’ music but I think I argue about him more than any other composer.

I understand your criticism about him but it’s kind of like asking the Ramones to learn a 4th chord. was never going to happen so just sit back and enjoy.

1 Like

Ozzy is still going strong, awesome new album

1 Like

I didn’t know Ozzy Osbourne still made music!

1 Like

He’s in the midst of a pretty epic rebirth as his career (and life) wind down. On the full length album front, he had 2010’s Scream, but nothing for ten years. Many thought he was finally done. But he dropped a killer album in 2020 called Ordinary Man, and it was full of energy and ideas. He started work on Patient Number 9 right after. I think all the down time from age and illness/injury reinvigorated him. These last two albums are classic Ozzy.

Classic album night. Appreciate this far more now than when I was younger (when it came out)

2 Likes

So…this apparently happened this week. It completely took me by surprise. Sounds like Kill ‘Em All meshed with Motörhead. And double bass from Lars? What!!??

7 Likes

Nailed it! :sunglasses:

1 Like

What sorcery is this?!

A Mother’s Curse by Strychnos

1 Like

3 Likes

My best metal albums of 2022 are below - lots of quality progressive and melodic death this past year.

A mixture of prog and melodeath with elements of black mixed in; lots of atmosphere added with piano and keyboard as well. This is meant to be listened to in one, uninterrupted sitting; in doing so, the listener will be rewarded with a transcending experience.

Andorra’s finest metal band’s 6th full EP, and it’s a banger. Lots of prog, melodeath and atmospheric elements envelope the listener to take them on a memorable journey.

This newly formed melodic death metal band is comprised of all former members of In Flames. You know, In Flames…one of the pioneers of the Gothenburg sound - a band that used to put out quality music but has since “sold out” and conformed to “Nu Metal” standards. But fear not, their classic sound has returned in The Halo Effect’s “Days Of The Lost,” which sounds like a cross of old In Flames and Dark Tranquillity. This one hits the nostalgia funny bone nicely.

This Colorado technical death band - sometimes referred to as math metal -
returns to form in Damnum. This one has it all: crazy time signatures, shredding riffs and loads of melody. Allegaeon is back folks!

What if you take the power metal sound, remove all the cheesiness and add in growly vocals? You get Brymir. This was my first encounter with Brymir, and despite the album cover leading me to believe they’re some sadistic black metal band, they instead fuse power and melodeath metal. This one is ripe with orchestration and thrash riffs, infused with melody galore. It’s just good old fashioned fun.

My honorable mention goes to:

While not entirely a revisit of yore, “The Sick, The Dying…and The Dead!” is chock-full of old school thrash riffs, solos and melody. Although some bloat is included, and I wish there were less unnecessary voice-overs throughout (none would’ve been nice), this one is nostalgic and fun.

I look forward to what 2023 brings!

5 Likes

Woe is exceptional and certainly my find of the year.

for me:

Again I had never heard of these but I found this release sublime.

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll give this a listen this evening.

I’ve only heard “Heir To Despair” by Sigh, which I thought was fantastic. I came to hear about it because it was reviewed by many non-metal publications as metal for people who aren’t necessarily fans of metal, because of how experimental the band is.

5 Likes

Checking this out now.

Thank god there were lyrics available. They were super helpful….

:laughing::face_with_raised_eyebrow: :person_shrugging::notes::notes::notes:

3 Likes

“The shadow which is chasing me…”

1 Like

Still playing through this album but I have to stop and say “Satsui- Geshi no ato “ ….I love, love, love this track! No idea what he’s all bent out of shape about but wow do I like it. Reminds me a bit of Melechesh vocally and with the middle easterny thrashy rhythms. Fu*# Man!! This is great :metal::metal::metal: Horns up…all 3 of em”!?!?

2 Likes

Sounds scary…good thing I can’t understand it!! :wink:

As with Rammstein, just go along for the mood and the ride. I’ve been disappointed when I sought out translations or heard English language songs by non-native speakers.

4 Likes

Some of it just doesn’t translate well. As a big Einsturzende Neubauten fan it just wouldn’t be the same hearing it in English.