Schiit Audio - Lyr 3 - Official Thread

@anon36506748, didn’t you just trade in your Focal Arche for a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ ? Are you looking to replace the Brooklyn DAC+, create a second system, or will you be using the DAC piece of the DAC+ to feed the Lyr 3? Also, what’s your budget?

The Lyr 3 is an excellent amp, with plenty of power, so you should be able to drive your headphones very well. And assuming you’re building a second system, and your budget won’t extend to a Bifrost 2-Lyr 3 combo (which I have and is very good), then I would go for the Modius - Lyr 3 combo instead of adding the DAC card to the Lyr 3 unless you’re looking for either the convenience or the space saving of an all in one solution. I haven’t heard the internal Lyr 3 DAC card, but I’ve read that it’s not as good as a having a separate DAC, for instance the card won’t have the Unison USB of the Modius. As others have said, if you can raise your budget, the Bifrost 2 DAC will be even better.

3 Likes

On a recent visit to The Schiitr, I can confirm that the BF2/Lyr 3 stack was an improvement over the Lyr 3 with built-in Multibit DAC module.

5 Likes

Yes @PaisleyUnderground , I did just setup a Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as my main and I use it for driving my monitors and occasionally for my headphones. :slight_smile:

As you suspected, this is for a secondary setup and my budget is limited. The Lyr 3 + Modius is the setup I’m leaning towards as the BF2 is a bit out of my budget for this setup.

@bpcarb, the Bifrost 2 is out of my budget for this setup, I’m trying to keep it under $800 (lower would be even better), which is why I was trying to see if the Valhalla 2 might be an alternative to the Lyr 3 (which it doesn’t appear to be for me for the headphones I’ll be using).

My main source will be an iPhone 7 that has Apple Lossless files on it locally and occasionally for streaming Spotify.

Thanks for your help - I’m probably going to place an order tomorrow.

2 Likes

Understood. Lyr 3 and Modius here would be appropriate for your cans. You might be able to save a few buck by buying a B-stock unit. Hope it all works out.

2 Likes

Thanks @bpcarb I’ll take a look on their B-Stock before ordering.

3 Likes

I bought a B stock…perfectly fine!

2 Likes

The Lyr 3 has tons of power (6W at 32 ohms) and should be able to easily drive your headphones. The only problem I had was hiss with my Shure IEMs, but IEM hiss is very common in many headphone amps due to their high sensitivity, and others in the forum have recommended the ifi iematch for that situation. But I was only trying the IEMs out of curiosity, and don’t plan on using them in my desk setup, so it’s not an issue for me. There’s zero hiss on headphones.

If you need cables, the Schiit Pyst interconnects and USB cables are excellent value at $20 each. They are actually Straight Wire cables but at a discount.

4 Likes

Just placed an order for the Lyr 3 + Mobius. I Will post some pictures and thoughts once it arrives and I’ve had time to listen to it. Thanks for all your help!

I’ll also check out the iFi iematch if my CIEMs have the noise, didn’t know this existed. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m thinking of getting Lyr 3, but my Bifrost 2 and Asgard 2 are in black, which I prefer to silver. Schiit doesn’t offer Lyr in black, and from the pictures on their site I don’t see screws on top holding the case to the chassis like on Bifrost/Asgard.

Has anyone here removed the top cover of the case (the aluminum cover/faceplate)? If so, how does it come off? I’m considering painting it black if it’s easy to remove. Schiit won’t do it for me, I asked them already…

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Screws are on the bottom. I have not tried to remove, but it does get fairly warm.

You might consider adapting a laptop/notebook skin – stick-on plastic. They’ll generally come off easily. However, be sure to reproduce any ventilation holes (e.g., with an icepick or hole punch).

1 Like

Also have in mind that is provably going to ruin the 5 years warranty . Schiit don’t make shit stuff, but you never know.

2 Likes

Good call, I wasn’t thinking about the warranty aspect of it. Nevermind then! Besides, I see pictures here of Lyr 3 with a black Bifrost, it looks fine. I do wish they (Schiit) offered a black option to match. Oh well, thanks for the replies! :+1:

3 Likes

Hey @robson I would embrace the silver and go for the contrasting colors look to save the warranty. I have the Lyr 3 and love it especially with the Bifrost 2! Welcome to the forum!!

6 Likes

As promised, here are some pictures of my setup. I’m still forming my opinion of the sound. I’m using an iPhone 8 as the source playing Apple Lossless and occasionally some Spotify.

18 Likes

If it weren’t for the warranty, I’d dig into that box and change the color of that LED. Maybe even switch it for a dull orange neon indicator.

4 Likes

It looked good with the Sophia blue glass.

2 Likes

I thought mine was a little too bright so I took a small hole punch and cut a small circle of gray electrical tape. That did the trick. I could have easily do it with colored tape to have some fun with it.

2 Likes

Great shots of your setup @anon36506748 !!

1 Like

Awesome!! Nice Pix!!

Congrats on ur setup!!

Enjoy the music!!

Alex
:grinning:

2 Likes