Schiit Audio - Official Thread

You might find a good deal on a used Yggy if you’re patient, especially an older generation one. It’s quite easy to upgrade the USB interface to Unison yourself, or if you send it back to Schiit to install, they’ll give you 2 years of warranty on the Yggy.

3 Likes

I’ve seen the a1 with gen 5 for 1150 plus the 200 upgrade to unison puts you at 1350. A2 with unison around 1850, maybe less?

I have never heard bf2, and the last yggy I heard was almost 7 years ago at an audio show (RMAC 2014), but I can say that my Gungnir MB is my favorite piece of audio gear that I have owned, and in almost 4 years I have never considered trying to upgrade. I do believe that the strengths of Schiit’s MB dacs are more easily discernable on speakers than on 'phones, but it’s not like it doesn’t sound good with them. I will never be able to afford a more expensive dac (somebody had to die and leave me some $ for me to buy the Gungnir) but thankfully, I don’t want to. Btw, it is supposedly an early a2 based on the SN and date of purchase, but since Schiit won’t even confirm the existence of such a thing, I will never know. Because of how it sounds, I don’t really care. Ymmv ofc.

5 Likes

New DAC card for Asgard, Jotunheim, etc using the ESS ES9028 chip. Also includes Unison with USB-C inputs!

Can be purchased separately here:
https://www.schiit.com/products/es9028-dac-card

13 Likes

Interesting.

I have a hole on the back of my Asgard 3 that could be filled, only problem is that by the time I add shipping and import, we are looking at probably around 225€, I can pick up a D30 pro for not much more, or a Zen DAC for quite a bit less.

5 Likes

I have a Lyr 3 with space (plus an uninstalled phono card). It’s hard to justify for cost, even without import duties. Plus, I’d be more likely to upgrade beyond Bifrost 2 than downgrade. These cards seem aimed at all-in-one convenience for stand-alone setups and preamps rather than value per se.

1 Like

Bitfrost 2s are suddenly 1-3 days shipping, if anyone’s been waiting to order.

5 Likes

Delivery times seem to be in flux and regularly updated. When I ordered my Lyr 3 fulfillment was listed at 1-3 days and took precisely that. A few days later it was 2-4 weeks, now it’s 6-8 weeks. I think it’s admirable that they are keeping the site updated with delivery windows in real time.

5 Likes

They ship when a boat/plane arrives from wherever with a batch of chips. The global chip shortage is likely to continue for another year. This follow from the surge in demand by a global army of remote workers, plus production/supply shutdowns due to COVID. Toyota recently cut is production forecast by 40% because of chip issues.

When I ordered a Bifrost 2, the site said “1-2 weeks.” It immediately became 6-8 weeks, as in the very next day.

3 Likes

They just send me ( today) my Jot2 after 15 weeks of placing my order, but the delay was only with the black finish pieces and not with their classic gray finish.

1 Like

Did y’all see this? Different multibit chip options coming to Yggdrasil in 2-4 weeks?

7 Likes

I was in Yggy backorder for a while, so I was one of the people that got the email. I stuck with Yggy OG (A2) and it should be arriving tomorrow! Mainly stuck with it as lots of existing impressions are out and it’s the only one of the 3 with a discrete output stage.

Will be pretty interesting to hear how the impressions of the other models turn out. Jason has hinted a lot of people in the testing of the 3 are preferring the “Less is more” model, but I haven’t seen any reasons why.

The “more is less” model seems to be for measurement nuts. I even recall Mike saying previous that he’s not a fan of “sample and hold” however the chips in this model do exactly that.

1 Like

Quick question on schitt stacking I have a lyr 3, bifrost2 and a Jot on the way. I noticed the jot has ventilation holes on the top. Can the Jot be stacked on the Bifrost and the Lyr on the Jot? Will the Jot get sufficient ventilation?

I own the BF2 and Lyr 3. The BF2 runs ‘warm’ when left on all the time, while the Lyr 3 runs ‘hot’ when on. I turn off the Lyr 3 because leaving it on eats into tube life and I don’t want such a hot device powered up when I’m away.

If you turn off the Lyr when using the Jot and vice versa, I think the large combined heat sink of the pair will be fine. However, this will be affected by spacing around your setup, room temperature, restricted air flow, etc. If you plan to have all three on at once, consider a mini shelf stack to space them out.

I’m currently stacking my Lyr 3 on the huge Class A RebelAmp. When left on the Rebel is just warm to the touch, and heat from the Lyr goes up. So no worries there.

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I would not have the Lyr and the Jot turned on at the same time, I would use one and keep the other turned off.

1 Like

If I connect the Lyr to unbalanced on the BF, can I connect the Jot to the balanced outs of the BF? If I keep one amp on and the other off, will the BF automatically play through the amp that is on, or do I need to flip a switch?

Both outputs are active at the same time. No switch needed.

2 Likes

Thank you again, one additional question. If the Jot is connected to balanced inputs, can i only use the balanced output or will both balanced and SE work?

Both outputs work on Jot 2 regardless of what input you use.

I have noticed the Jot runs way hotter when stacked on BF2. If you have space, I would suggest you stack Lyr and Jot and put that beside BF2.

1 Like

Is there a preferred USB BF2 input cable, or are Usb cables pretty much the same? I am using an Amazon Best 2.0 printer cable.