Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp and Preamplifier

Oh boy,
I just bought a Lyr3, have an Asgard 3 and a Bifrost was my next purchase.
Now I’ll probably get one of these to match with my modius I was going to sell after I got the Bifrost!

3 Likes

The bifrost 2 is a stellar mb dac…either choice is good IMO the B2 is probably the better of the two dacs…

But having matching “boxes” is nice cosmetically…

1 Like

Have a Magnius coming. Stack with Modius. Will be a for now stack. After my Cayin IHA6 died within an hour, will put a reference level amp on hold and just run the cheap Schiit for a bit.

2 Likes

I really noticed the jump from the modi3 that I bought with the Asgard to the modius.
I keep hearing rave reviews about bifrost 2 and am going to take the plunge.
Just bought a used Lyr3, hasn’t arrived yet. I a newbie to the headphone scene. Used to be traditional stereo audiophile, but sold my LP12 when I had kids. Just building a little office/bedroom system now. Lots of fun and too addicting!

6 Likes

I think it would be best to put your money toward other things besides the new Magnius since you’ll already be spoiled by the Lyr 3. Consider the Bifrost 2 or something different like an OTL tube amp maybe.

3 Likes

Sorry lost33, meant to reply to you.
Also apologize for not staying on topic. Im looking forward to hearing some reviews of this amp

Schiit has indeed cracked the code for receiving positive reviews at ASR. A strong Magnius review follows an equally strong Modius review:

This should be good for business, regardless of any genuine audio benefits. The data looks a lot like THX amp data; I’ll pass as I still own the THX AAA 789. With the Magnius coming in at $200, the THX amps should come down in price too.

Don’t shoot the messenger, please.

10 Likes

giphy

:wink:

6 Likes

:crossed_fingers: they’ll get rid of that boring (and “noisy”) SE jack and replace by a 4.4mm pentaconn while making it as a pure blood balanced amp.

Don’t shoot customer requests either. :smile:

2 Likes

shoot

4 Likes

Seriously though, Schiit very rarely does gear with such a narrow focus as to make a balanced only amp. I believe the design decision fits perfectly with people who have marketing or engineering backgrounds: Design/sell products that aren’t pigeonholed into single use scenarios. That might be the only thing those two mindsets have in common though.

SE dacs and headphone connectors are still far more prevalent in the hobby than balanced XLR connectors are. If it didn’t have SE, I’m willing to bet they would miss the boat on a ton of customers who need it. Basically, the reasons to include single-ended far outnumber the reasons not to. By that I mean there are 200 reasons… :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face: :money_mouth_face:

Besides, having SE on this amp does not exclude anyone from using it in fully balanced operation. If you need a pentaconn connection, a 4 pin XLR to female pentaconn adaptor does exist, are they are pretty cheap.

As for the SE being noisy… It’s only noisy to those who drink the ASR Kool Aid.

15 Likes

Agreed, I would think that they’d have to raise the price for a balanced only amp for it to make sense for them, which would not be Schitty or in line with what we know as Schiitness.

3 Likes

Modius/Magnius is a heck of a value, if you ask me.

6 Likes

Jason has stated that the Magnius is more Heresy than Jotunheim. What can we glean (if anything) that they chose an “Heresy” signature over
“Magni 3+”, especially where the latter seems to be more classically Schiit and preferred. See Torq’s review and comparison here: https://www.headphones.com/blogs/news/schiit-magni-3-magni-heresy-headphone-amplifier-review-comparison.

-Better synergy with the Modius?
-Heresy models sold better than the 3+ (recent B-stock and closeout listings suggest so)?
-They wanted to introduce a sound that distinguished from the Asgard 3 at the same price-point?

2 Likes

I think they’re geared toward neutral sounding competitors in the price range.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t make assumptions on sound yet.

The topology and amount of feedback used in Magnius is very different from their other offerings. Despite using opamps in both Heresy and Magnius, the similarities largely end there.

As for the synergy, I’m pretty sure Mike would throw the prototype Magnius at Jason’s head if it didn’t work with Modius. :sweat_smile:

Asgard, I think, is pretty unique. So I agree. I would be shocked if they had similar sound.

I don’t think anyone here needs an oracle or PhD to see that Schiit has taken the Reddit + ASR Measurements Religion / Anti-Schiit Offensive and turned it back on itself with Heresy, Magnius, and Modius. Now they are selling products that camp of Audiophiles like. Great!

And it’s good for all of us. Look at the products that resulted from it, and the money you can save by buying American.

9 Likes

That sounds right. Crush the measurement coalition, maybe.

2 Likes

Copy that. I’m not as versed and it came to mind.

2 Likes

Exactly…:+1:t4:

1 Like

Edited above. Original reply was a half formed response that needed fleshed out, but I suck at multitasking, and finally had 10 min to do so.

3 Likes