Schiit Magnius Balanced Headphone Amp and Preamplifier

Thanks for expanding, Obi-Wan! I haven’t deciphered the topology and feedback stuff yet.

True about Mike throwing ha. I should re-watch some of their joint interviews on YouTube.

Yes, great for all of us and LA County (represent). They’re smart dudes. If we were to draw parallels with craft beer - breweries make IPAs to keep the lights on, but brewers enjoy making some of the other styles that don’t sell as much, such as stouts and saisons.

2 Likes

It may have been as simple as “we have 8000 of these volume pots, and the Jotunheim doesn’t sell that quickly, should we bash out something for half the price and flood the ASR fanboy market?”

I bought one, I expect it to sound like the other Topping/THX units I’ve had.

3 Likes

I would expect/hope it both sounds good and measures well. Enjoy.

2 Likes

That’s the reason I haven’t bought one. I’ll wait for reviews

1 Like

I’ll let you know. I’m under no illusions, I won’t love it. Easy resell though.

3 Likes

This is a new question. How does the Magnius compare to something like a Cavelli Tube Hybrid (comparable price - $175)?
Also, how does a combination of Schitt DAC and headphone amp products compare to other DAC/AMP combinations, such as Brooklyn DAC+ or Marantz HD-DAC1?
Thanks.

1 Like

Buy them all and test them?

Unlikely you’ll get many people’s thoughts on that, not something people have around to compare

1 Like

No one has the Magnius yet, but the data suggests it’ll resemble the ultra-clean Topping and THX profile. The CTH is also relatively clean, with pretty mild tube coloring. The Magnius will perhaps appeal to those who prefer an analytical, cooler, and dryer presentation. To be determined.

There are too many Schiit products and too many other products to compare. It may make more sense to search for specific product reviews by the same author and compare them.

3 Likes

There’s 4 magnius available on the B-stock list at Schiit right now. One modius too!

2 Likes

Mine shipped, late next week…

Mine is currently sitting in a FedEx shipping facility 36 minutes away but it won’t get here until Monday :frowning:

1 Like

@jthvac what does something being for sale on the “B-stock” list mean?

1 Like

https://www.schiit.com/b-stocks

What is B-Stock and Closeout?
This is a place where we put all the stuff that doesn’t meet our cosmetic standards, or is returned from customers, or we found while cleaning out the shop (no kidding.) Everything we sell here is covered by the full factory warranty. However, all sales here are final. There’s no 15-day return period. There are no trade-ups. If you know what you want, that’s great. If you may need to try a few things, better to go with the regular product listings.

B-Stock: These products may have minor cosmetic blemishes. No, we can’t be super-specific what they are, other than they’re minor. They may not even have any blemishes, if they’re clean returns. Those are also considered B-Stock. B-Stock is recertified and meets all performance standards.

Closeout: These products are standard A-stock, but are past the end of their production life. As with B-stock, these products are fully tested and meet all of their original performance standards.

4 Likes

Schitt has a 15 day tryout policy you can return your purchase of you don’t like it. They then list the returns on B-stock. They’re essentially new, but you can’t return them in exchange for a discount. Still has full warranty.
I bought my modius B-stock and it sure seemed like it was new.

2 Likes

LoL - I am on my laptop and didn’t scroll down to the bottom. @Tchoupitoulas and @jthvac thank you for holding the hand of an old man.

4 Likes

Anyone else get the Magnius yet? Any chance you also got the wrong power supply?

6 Likes

That one looks like my Vali 2 power supply!

3 Likes

They have shipped a replacement. Fantastic customer service.

7 Likes

Well, you don’t see that every day. A 4 pin power plug? Odd

4 Likes

That looks chinesium as it gets, repurposing random connectors for something they are not…

2 Likes