Shure 1540 closed-back over-ear Headphones - Official Discussion

thank you on this frkasper.

This will be very assuring to know that they have replacement. if you don’t mind can you kindly share with me the email of your contact so that I can communicate with him directly?

Usually there’s no direct contact in big companies. They’ve told me this:

Good luck.

1 Like

I was reading some of Crinacle’s measurements and found this can in his database.

Pretty much the Harman target with added bass. This is probably why it is my go-to phone for low volume listening. If one cranks the volume up, it will distort.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Folks, just posted a pad rolling exercise in the HD 650 thread using the spare pads set that came with my SRH1540:

Glossary

Short name Description
Senn HD 650 with stock pads
SennMod HD 6XX with SRH1540 pads
Shure SRH1540 stock

Fun facts. When direct A/B’ing those cans:

• Senn vs SennMod: Senn was generally better, except for EDM tracks;
  • SennMod vs Shure:
    • overall tonal balance of the Shure is hugely influenced by its pads. It is like the Shure and the SennMod sounded (almost) the same. Crazy, right?
    • Shure was a better listen in a direct A/B comparison. SennMod was not tuned for these alcantara pads.
  • After the above, I became a believer of pad rolling. :exploding_head:

Nonetheless, it was a fun exercise.

Anyone else tried pad rolling with the SRH1540? I may try the Dekoni offering sometime later this year.

EDIT: just posted a tear down and port mod for these cans here:

Cheers. :beers:

1 Like

Ooops… :grimacing:

It seems the spare FiiO FD5 modular MMCX cable just found a new home.

3 Likes

I bought a Shure 1540 many many years ago and was my favorite until I opted into my first Focal. I used it most in an office environment. As others have noted, it is not as isolating as one would expect from a closed back headphone but that worked to my advantage. I startle easily and with a strong physical reaction (I once literally jumped and fell to the ground), so the less isolating nature of the 1540 helped with that.

The sound quality is very pleasant, good separation although the soundstage is a bit tight (but within expectations for a closed back). I was quite happy with it until I got a Focal Elex from Drop; I just found the characteristics of the Focal signature much more exciting and suited to my taste.

That said, I have never found a headphone as comfortable (for me at least) as the Shure. They are incredibly lightweight and, once you get the head band bent to conform to your particular noggin, just disappears on your head. The microfiber ear pads are particularly good to my taste and I can literally wear these the entire day without my ears becoming too warm. Although I have to admit that perhaps the fabric pads are one of the reasons the isolation is not as good as others.

So while I’m a huge fan of Focal’s headphones (the Stellia is my absolute favorite), the Shure 1540 still gets regular use.

P.S. I recently got some balanced XLR cables for the 1540’s (when I finally added a balanced amp to my desktop) and the lowered noise floor really helped improve the sound signature to my ear. It’s been awhile since I gave it a really critical listen, but it seemed to improve the clarity in the mid-range.

3 Likes

I’m far from being a metal head but found these “Vikings” to be pretty good.

Too bad I can’t use the SRH1540 with metal. Too much energy in the presence region (pinna gain) and I don’t like the idea of turning the volume down. :triumph:

On a separate note, adapting an IEM cable to this can had an undesired but predictable effect. Hope the image below is self explanatory:

Yes, my OCD-meter was skyrocketing every time I saw that. Luckily, I watched one of Super Review’s lives in the other day and he mentioned about the local warm-up trick. Picked my wife’s hair drier up, applied some heat to the the curvey area and let the gravity do the rest. :exploding_head:

Now we’re talking. :grin:

2 Likes

Now that’s what I call synergy.

2 Likes

No sudden moves, though!

2 Likes