SRH 1540 tear down and MMCX port mod

Tear down

Very very simple. Just a couple of screws. Very serviceable can. Way to go Shure. :clap: :clap: :clap:

A couple of pictures:

Driver front.

Driver rear.

Yoke disassembled.

Picture above shows a lot of potential for tuning mods.

MMCX port mod

Got sick of using stock cable, built specifically for the recessed MMCX port, and did not want to purchase a specific one. Let’s just make the port larger, shall we?

How?

1. A drill with a 1/4" drill bit;
  2. Remove both the yoke and the driver so drilling it will be way easier;
  3. Be gentle twice.

Where

Before drilling - front view. Original port is ~5mm

After drilling - front view. Enlarged port is around 7mm.

After drilling - top view.

How about the warranty?

There’s that. This mod will probably void the warranty. Mine has expired in late 2021 so I was up for experimenting.

What else

While servicing, it is always a good idea to tighten the clamp force on the headband. :heavy_check_mark:

How? Just bend it. :muscle:

Result

Now I have a wireless SRH 1540. It does lack juice for quieter sources. It is quite OK for music though and for watching TV.

SRH 1540 with the RMCE-BT2 bluetooth module.

Now to the MMCX balanced cable I can share with with my other Shure IEMs. :smirk:

Cheers. :beers:

5 Likes

Thanks!

I didn’t want to do it, but seen your post now, gave me that last push.
I now drilled the holes too and I can run any MMCX cables into my Shure 1540, particularly a balanced cable! (the ones for the recessed MMCX were £40 on ebay!).

Thanks. Just need to be gentler when plugging the cables in.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community.

No problem.

Nice. In my case, it was an easy decision after the expired warranty. On my unit, ended up putting this cable:

Before installing this IEM cable, my Shures had this one for the past few months, just in case one is interested. They also make in other terminations as well:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WQM3QX1

Enjoy. :+1: