The Anime Thread

Solo Leveling - done.

1 Like

Uh oh, didnā€™t like it? Disappointed?

1 Like

No, I liked it a lot. I finished it in 4 days.

The art was simply outstanding, the story was consistent throughout, any niggling concerns or questionable plot holes were generally addressed or easy to forgive. I also felt that the ending was better than what I was expecting. It was something that could have been dragged out for a lot longer but Iā€™m glad they maintained the pacing they did, I think they would have gotten themselves into trouble if they decided to linger on any one plot point for too long.

Very solid manhwa that could make an absolutely S tier anime if its ever done and done properly. Some of the scenes in the manhwa were pretty close to perfect in how they reflected the story and I would love to see that animated. Having the whole thing in colour elevated everything. As I said, the art was on a superior level and its remarkable how it managed to stay that way given the release schedule this would have had.

This will alway be a favourite of mine.

1 Like

Nice, in my head when you said ā€˜doneā€™ I automatically thought you decided to drop it. haha
I was wrong indeed.

It would be a treat to see all those fights with hunter sung in anime form.

Also caught up with DS. They did the fight scenes justice! Although itā€™s kind of given with unfotable animating it. I wonder how many more seasons weā€™ll get left. I estimate 2 or 3 depending on how many eps theyā€™ll go per season. If I remember, there are 4 or 5 arcs remaining after this one. One of them is very short though.

1 Like

Ive read the DS manga past the current anime episodes, Iā€™m not sure if Iā€™m out of the current arc but I may be now that I think about it.

Juju K manga is so disappointing now. I almost feel like the current arc is just add on filler that was never meant to really be produced. It could have stopped many chapters ago and been considered awesome instead of this tarnished facsimile. Maybe they got big things planned, which is possible given one unresolved issue, but they are currently shooting themselves in the foot.

Spy x Family will likely be the next manga for me to take a big chunk out of.

1 Like

Iā€™m thinking about re-binging DS manga since I forgot a lot of what happened (except the ending :joy:).

Donā€™t forget about blue period. Itā€™s still going strong. I stopped reading though because Iā€™m trying to savor the last 3 chapters I have left.

1 Like

I should look for that one. Too many good things heard about it to not at least try it.

On the anime front: how many episodes of a new series does anyone watch before saying yes/no to watching any further episodes. Ive watched 3 episodes of this new series, liked the first 2 but this last one was not good so I started thinking to myself how much more should I watch. Were the first couple a fluke or the last just a one off.

If the next episode was poor would you keep going for a few more or what? Im trying to remember what was the farthest I went with a series before truly giving up on it and deleting it from my watch list. Idaten Dieties comes to mind as garbage I tolerated for too long but it also was OK for 4-5 episodes before it nose dived.

1 Like

For me personally, I like doing a bit of research before diving into anything. So, I usually donā€™t go in blind. That means glancing at MAL and viewer ratings prior. I also often look at the original source material be it manga or LN. If the original source is a manga and it looks good Iā€™ll usually read it first since I find it faster to digest than an anime, that way I can quickly tell if itā€™s worth getting into the anime or not. Thatā€™s my process at least, and it works most of the time. So I donā€™t often drop anime I choose to watch. There have been exceptions, of course, but itā€™s not that often. Manga I do drop more often. It also doesnā€™t help that Iā€™m a bit of a completist. If there is no source material, I often go 5 eps or 6 eps if the animation is high quality.

Which one was it?

At least the animation was fun to watch. The worst anime I think Iā€™ve ever watched was called Island. I was 4-6 eps in and I dropped it. I literally, to this day, have no idea what it was about other than it taking place on an island.

Now that I think about it, I started going through the process above because of this anime! I told myself Iā€™d do some background check to avoid this ever happening again. You should watch it and tell me what you think. :joy:

1 Like

Good morning all!

My kids have started getting into Anime, but I pretty much know nothing about it. Weā€™ve caught up through season 5 on My Hero Acedemia and are now looking for something similar, though still age appropriate (my two oldest are young teenagers). There were a few scenes I wasnā€™t too thrilled with in MHD, but overall it wasnā€™t too bad. Is there something similar that focuses on story and character development that my kids might enjoy? We tried Hunter X Hunter, but itā€™s a little childish for the teenagers. Weā€™re currently looking into Naruto and Fullmetal Alchemist.

Again, besides having watched MHA with them, I am a novice to Anime.Thanks in advance!

3 Likes

Hmmm. @hifiDJ may have more suggestions.

FMA is good. Avatar the Last Airbender is also a good one. It depends upon what you are worried about encountering, anime carries everything from very wholesome to the exact opposite.

Welcome to Demon School Iruma-Kun is probably one to look at too. Laid-back camp is also a favourite of this thread.

Nothing with those should be out of keeping with what you saw with MHA (which I have watched).

I havent seen Naruto.

Hunter X Hunter does get pretty dark as it goes along, may seem childish to start but it changes as the world develops. If your kids get more into anime as they get older it will likely be one for them to watch its a classic of the genre.

3 Likes

I tend to prefer to be surprised and see the story develop, I have no problem going to the manga after but I am limited in what I can access. Plus I expect a lot of the stuff I try to be less than compelling. MAL has never been a big resource for me, I tend to look at the intra service ratings of something first. If Crunchy viewers gives something 3 stars there may be considerable problems. If its 4.5 or higher it might be worth a dabble.

Police in a Pod. I kind of wonder if the first two episodes were also bad and I just didnt catch it (might have been in a mood where anything I watched I found good - a non critical viewing just to pass time). It wasnt that the third episode was ā€œbadā€ just boring and stereotypical.

Ha, I might just to see what you are talking about. Iā€™ll at least look it up on my services and see if its possible for me to view.

1 Like

Island - Crunchy has something named ā€œIslandā€. 3 seasons. Someone liked it. Assumes this is the one you were mentioning. @hifiDJ

1 Like

Thatā€™s awesome! Nice to see your kids getting into it. Just a disclaimer I donā€™t have kids myself but I will try my best to take that into consideration. I havenā€™t watched My Hero but something similar would be shounen (term targeting the young male audience) type shows. Not sure how limited you are in streaming options but Iā€™ll link a website where you can simply search the anime to see where it can be streamed. Itā€™s not the best but it gets most of the job done.

As for suggestionsā€¦

• Gurren Lagann - would be a top pick from me. very easy to follow and has a little bit of everything. donā€™t remember it being particularly inappropriate so you should be fine. think of this as the 6XX of anime but without the scaling. :joy:

• Naruto - havenā€™t watched but Iā€™m sure @frkasper will be able to provide some insight if he can.

• Fullmetal Alchemist - itā€™s a solid watch imo. there are 2 versions that being the regular Alchemist and the other being the Brotherhood version. you can watch both but youā€™ll probably just want to stick with Brotherhood. I liked both but Brotherhood is more complete with the ending.

• Avatar The Last Airbender - per @perogie, canā€™t really go wrong with this one. itā€™s sort of not fully anime but itā€™s widely loved and recommended.

• Mairimashita Iruma-kun - kind of a different genre but still worth consideration.

• One-punch Man - I donā€™t see this one as being that inappropriate (I may be wrong) but this is another really good one to look at. very funny too.

• Haikyuu - this one is a sports anime about volleyball but is still shounen. you might be surprised how engaging and thrilling sports anime can be.

• Promare - this one is a movie but itā€™s a real blast. probably the most similar one to MHA on this list

• Ousama Ranking - relatively new and still ongoing but this is a great example of ā€œdonā€™t judge a book by its coverā€ type. not exactly similar to MHA but I think youā€™ll be able to enjoy it.

• Megalobox - if youā€™re familiar with the Rocky movies itā€™s basically that but in anime form (boxing anime). 2nd season goes in a different direction though and has some heavy-handed themes such as withdrawal and addiction, but itā€™s really not that extreme.

1 Like

Crunchy to me I find to be more unreliable than MAL. MAL reviews typically are more in-depth and have some kind of thought behind them. Anyway, I just use it as a baseline before further commitment.

Yeah havenā€™t watched. Iā€™d give it 5 eps if I were you.

Nah, this one: Island (TV) (Island) - MyAnimeList.net
After reading the synopsis I think I get why I was so lost. It was about time travel so things probably didnā€™t make sense until further down. Regardless, my time was still wasted. haha

I cant believe I forgot those two. Haikyuu is S tier for me, simply amazing. Even the last season with the different creative staff still worked well. One Punch doesnā€™t have any subject matter beyond what MHA would deal with.

Thatā€™s the one I saw on Crunchy. Havenā€™t decided whether Iā€™ll watch list it or not.

Its much more generic. A lower CR star level is generally indicative of poor anime; however, a high rating doesnt necessarily mean its great either.

Im always worried I might see spoilers on MAL as Id likely try to dig deeper into to see what the reviews said. I also wonder if MAL is essentially a follow the leader ranking. Do that many people think FMAB is the best anime theyā€™ve seen??? I know its an aggregate score but I wonder about the objectivism as we need to take anime rankings very seriously.

EDIT: OK, not sure what happened but I could have sworn that CR said there were 3 seasons to Island, but there is only one 12 episode season, Iā€™ve watch listed it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Thank you! @perogie @hifiDJ Your responses are most helpful and I will look into the suggestions.

3 Likes

Not sure if this is what they might be looking for but back when I was their age I used to watch death note. I remember eagerly waiting on new episodes each week. Very engaging story but it does dealt themes like murder and suicide so viewer discretion Is advised.
Other shows that I was into were full metal alchemist and code geass.

Iā€™ve not watched anime for years now and is kinda tempting to get into it again.

4 Likes

Thank you, much appreciated!

1 Like

The member reviews are usually respectful about it so itā€™s unlikely youā€™ll accidentally read through a spoiler.

I find it depends on the anime. There are some that MAL would rank pretty high on the list but viewer reviews would give it a fairly low score.

Right, cause fruits basket is waaay better!!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::grapes::basket:

Also the influx of new anime watchers tend to overpopulate with overly positive comments. If I got a dollar for every time someone comments, ā€œThis anime is a masterpieceā€ Iā€™d be able to buy a susvara by now. haha

Yeah thatā€™s what confused me. Ainā€™t no way that anime received 3 seasons.
Ha, have fun!

Yup, death note is awesome as well but thatā€™s exactly why I didnā€™t put it on the list.

1 Like

Hi @Nuance, if your kids like ninjas in general and are not familiar at all with the Naruto franchise, they should probably jump straight to Boruto then. The anime has a more modern language and action scenes, and without the excessive filler episodes the original Naruto and later Naruto Shippuden used to have.

If they eventually get the taste for Boruto (Narutoā€™s son), they can always go back and watch the two other Naruto series (OG and Shippuden) to fill in the gaps. The main characters are pretty much from the same set of families, just different generations.

I remember back in 2018, being a Naruto fan for 10 years at that time, I was skeptical on starting with Boruto. Decided to take a shot and here I am. Waiting for a few weekly episodes to stack and binge-watch them. :man_shrugging:

The Naruto franchise is a never-ending story. Characters develop power. When they are powerful enough, they become even more powerful. :joy:

+1 to the above as well.

And a final suggestion. This one is fairly old but your kids may like it: Saint Seiya. Yep, the very one from the 80s. NETFLIX recently made a new adaption but thereā€™s just a handful of episodes.

Cheers. :beers:

2 Likes