The new HarmonicDyne Zeus with beryllium drivers

Hi! New here, and very late to this conversation, haha. Absolutely love your channel, knowledge, and mindset in this hobby!

So far, the zeus looks like it checks the most amount of boxes for my preferences, and I have just a few questions before pulling the trigger on it.

1 - What do you mean by “contrast”? In your ranking list, you say that the zeus lacks contrast. This may be a rookie question, but it looks like different people have different definitions of “contrast”. Do you mean that there isn’t enough contrast between the upper and lower frequencies? or do you mean that they lack dynamics? if it’s a tonal thing, thats fine, I can eq. If it’s dynamics though…

2 - How much can you boost the sub-bass without comprises in distortion or reaching the driver limitations? The one big check box that the zeus probably won’t check for me with its default tuning is sub-bass amount and impact, and I’m wondering if I can fix this with eq without compromising in distortion or clipping the drivers. I saw that you and amirm from audiosciencereview measured the driver limitations of the focal elex, clear, utopia, etc… and some other headphones, along with measurements of their distortion at different levels. I can’t seem to find any of those types of measurements for the zeus. I listen at about 85 dB average, but of course peaks can go much higher (I’ve heard 10-15dB higher), and after boosting the sub-bass about 10dB, peaks are well over 100dB.

Thanks!

1. Contrast refers to ‘macro contrast’, which is an attempt at clarifying what some audiophiles mean by ‘dynamics’ - which is a very confusing catch-all term on its own.

2. Driver excursion limitations on those Focals have been overblown. The threshold is 107 to 110dB at 1khz. You’ll run into similar distortion issues by pushing the bass high enough on most non-planar magnetic headphones, even if you don’t hit the excursion limit. With that said, I haven’t pushed it on these.

1 Like