The Off Topic

…go to downtown Las Vegas, as it’s the primary mainland tourist destination for many or most or all Hawaiians. The California Hotel sells Spam Musubi ‘by the bucketloads’ (the correct spelling; say moo-sue-bee).

If you happen to make it yourself, use LOW SODIUM Spam. The regular stuff is horrid as musubi, as it’s typically fried with soy sauce.

https://www.spam.com/recipes/spam-musubi

Spam cakes aka spam musubi aka sushi nigiri substitute sushi with spam.

We buy about 2 pounds of sushi grade Salmon every week from a Japanese grocery store and I am always suckered into grabbing their fast food spam snacks!

1 Like

Is it blasphemy to eat it without the kelp/seaweed/whatever that is?

That’s just not my bag

Need not worry about spam, need worry about falling plane parts!

1 Like
2 Likes

Not at all, just get some rice cut a thin piece of spam sautéed with a dab of soy sauce rubbed on it. You should be fine. Throw in a sunny side up egg and tapatillo if you wanna get spicy!

1 Like

Yeah, that was closer to me than I’m comfortable with.

Spam Kimchi Fried Rice

We had this on my last visit to Maui before covid.

Not bad at all.

3 Likes

When our kids were younger, we ofc had to go to Disneyland in Paris… NEVER AGAIN!
Besides from all the other outrageous elements there, I had my WORST hotdog ever, at the highest price I have payed for one.
Christ…

1 Like

The standard version of musubi is wrapped in nori (processed seaweed sheets). To my tongue, it is the least offensive seaweed product on the market. It’s fine by me as a light seasoning such as the band in @Earmuffs musubi photo. I have issues with soggy-salty-ocean-flavored-hand-roll sushi such as this:

Seaweed salad is more challenging for me:

The all-time Japanese food “can’t stand it unless you grow up with it” is natto…semi-fermented soybeans on their way to becoming tofu or miso. They may resemble half-cooled Rice Krispies Treats, but the taste is akin to bourbon sour mash crossed with beans…

2 Likes

The One True Korean food is Dolsot Bibimbap. Must get it at a place that heats the stone bowl to a proper self-cooking temperature. This cooks the egg and creates crisp rice. Do not settle for the cold, non-stone-bowl non-Dolsot version.

6 Likes

I shudder at the thought of it. I lived in Japan and couldn’t ever get along with natto. Nasty stuff, just as the marmite I grew up with (and like) is nasty stuff. In the US, peanut butter and jelly makes no sense.

Edit: you’ve got me hankering after Bibimbap; we’re lucky here, we have a cluster of excellent Korean restaurants in NYC and I might have to go on a mission now!

2 Likes

Yes, I love Marmite too, but my American wife won’t go near the stuff. I don’t think she’s even tasted it because she can’t get past the smell, which she describes as decomposing old socks.

1 Like

I’m with your wife on this one. Sorry.

4 Likes

I can’t do the Marmite thing either.

4 Likes

My American wife won’t go near it, either. I love the “decomposing old socks” description. Too funny. And all too accurate!

My wife’s also leery about gravy when I enhance it with a bit of Marmite. I’d use Bovril for making rib-sticking gravy for roast beast, but that’s illegal here, alas.

Now for something that’ll totally gross out our American-born friends: some folks back home love to add boiling water to Bovril, a meat-based equivalent to Marmite, to make a nice, yummy and vaguely-bovine hot drink for a cold winter’s day. Cue jokes about British cuisine…

@PaisleyUnderground - how’s the vacation, btw? I hope you’re having fun.

3 Likes

The top comment on Men At Work’s Down Under at Songmeanings.com states “He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich” is an expat code for being an Aussie. In the USA I ate a similar concoction of brewers yeast and instant coffee called Vegex.

I Ran (so far away).

2 Likes

15 days into our 22 day tour across Costa Rica and my wife and I haven’t murdered each other yet.

I’ll do a more detailed write up when I get home (where I may have to dig my way through the snow to get into my house!) but I have to say that Costa Rica is a beautiful country and we are recalling enjoying it.

We are traveling safely, staying at small boutique hotels in isolated areas, 4 nights at a time in areas with different micro climates.

We’ve only had torrential rain once, and unfortunately the gigantic open plan room/villa with a 25 foot cathedral ceiling acted like a giant echo chamber, amplifying the sound of the rain to deafening levels. And when it wasn’t raining it amplified the sound of the cicadas. That was the one time my wife (who can’t take loud noise) almost murdered me.

4 Likes

I wonder what’s in the Bovril that makes it illegal.

With all the other posts about spam too, this reminds me of all the crap I grew up with in the UK. Anyone remember meat paste? That has to be illegal now. It was probably ground up meat products and organs, not that different from cat food. My mum would make me meat paste (or fish paste) sandwiches.

2 Likes

Marmite … Vegemite … Bovril … all good in my world. Whether on toast, in a hot beverage, on proper white bread (not the claggy-nonsense that passes for it in the US) or straight off the knife/spoon, I’m all in.

So is my (American) wife (I’m natively English).

On the Spam thing … I’m a simple man … fry some up and I’m there.

Better still, wrap cubes of it in really streaky bacon, liberally sprinkle them with chili pepper and brown sugar, and bake for 15 minutes.

5 Likes